3 replies to this topic

#1 Mad Mexican

Mad Mexican

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 01:38 AM

Heya fellas,

I have this issue that the DVD drive unit wont eject after a period of time. I noticed the problem 1st started when I was playing a DVD movie and it was just skips, shutters, and just stop playing the movie altogether. I rebooted the XBox and tried to eject the movie out, the DVD drive didnt eject. Decided to leave it alone for the night and I booted up the XBOX the following day and was able to eject. For a moment I thought it was a fluke. But after trying to watch another movie the same scenario happened. I can reboot the XBox with no issues I just cant get the DVD drive ejected. On the dashboard I noticed that the DVD Drive info reads "OPEN" when I press the eject button it would say "Ejecting" but it wont eject at all.

The only thing I can think of is the temps inside the XBox. The CPU temp goes about 140 and the MB goes about 120. Tried that termal compound mod - http://www.xbox-scen...al-compound.php - and its still get pretty hot in there.

Can it be anything else though? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mad Mexican

#2 WilliamChgo

WilliamChgo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 03 October 2004 - 02:19 PM

Found this on:

http://www.llamma.co..._dvd_repair.htm

If you know you have a DVD problem because the drive will not open or close, stay opened or closed or makes grinding and popping noises...

The number one quick fix for the DVD drive is to re-align the tray. This is common with CD players, CD changers as well. Many times just from normal use a gear will skip or something will jump track, unless all the pieces are in the right place at the time it powers up it will not work. So by removing the tray, aligning the internal parts to their starting position and re-inserting the tray you can often bring a drive back from the dead Thompson DVD Drive Tray Alignment Procedure

#3 Mad Mexican

Mad Mexican

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:32 AM

Heya WilliamChgo,

Thanks for looking into this for me, but I can assure you that the DVD drive is not at fault.

After I did some more tinkering, I notice that the drive will open when it during a period of 30 mins then its wont cause the temps went up in the upwards of 144.0 F (CPU) and 125.6 F (MB). Thats when all the problems starts to rear its ugly head. Once I reset the XBOX, on the EVOX dashboard says that the DVD drive is OPEN, when I press the eject button it changing to "Ejecting" and does nothing. Well all I can thing its related to TEMPs issues cause it only happens when it gets really hot in there. Sadly there isnt much else I can do when it comes to that.

#4 ydgmms

ydgmms

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (Mad Mexican @ Oct 4 2004, 09:35 AM)
Heya WilliamChgo,

Thanks for looking into this for me, but I can assure you that the DVD drive is not at fault.

After I did some more tinkering, I notice that the drive will open when it during a period of 30 mins then its wont cause the temps went up in the upwards of 144.0 F (CPU) and 125.6 F (MB). Thats when all the problems starts to rear its ugly head. Once I reset the XBOX, on the EVOX dashboard says that the DVD drive is OPEN, when I press the eject button it changing to "Ejecting" and does nothing. Well all I can thing its related to TEMPs issues cause it only happens when it gets really hot in there. Sadly there isnt much else I can do when it comes to that.

get a bigger fan.

take it apart and spread out the parts as best you can (HD, DVD, case/mobo) and test it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users