6 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow_Mx

Shadow_Mx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 August 2002 - 02:26 AM

Well, I've totally given up on finding the 15wt soldering iron over here (Mexico).

What are the risks I get by using a 25/30 wt soldering Iron
I have erything else, the 30AWG cable, the flux, the sponge, the solder (.032 60/40 from Radio Shack). but im concerned about the iron.

any help/suggestions?

GTac01 please DO NOT REPLY as your words are meaningless to me and many others in here.

#2 public_enema

public_enema

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 August 2002 - 03:14 AM

dont worry about it, Im using a temperature controlled 50W iron here - and its been working fine on my old pc motherboards.

Just make sure you dont apply too much heat - literally a split second is all u need.

To be on the safe side, make sure u use a temperature comtrolled one, or borrow a 15W off someone.

#3 rzyzzy

rzyzzy

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 10 August 2002 - 04:18 AM

The risk is too much heat - the solder points are small, and very prone to coming off - and more heat makes it more likely to happen - Plus, the bigger pencils usually have bigger tips - which can lead to problems - like bridged connections -

If you've got a Radio Shack in the area, tell them to order the right iron for you - they do make one, and it's like $7 us...

Before I get flamed into oblivion with "I used a blowtorch and I've modded 99 boxes" posts, please think about your response - It's POSSIBLE to install a nail nothing more than a beer bottle - but how many bottles will you break doing it, and what will your hands look like when you are done?

Good Luck!

#4 Drew826

Drew826

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 August 2002 - 08:38 AM

To reiterate what someone said in a previous thread, any wattage iron can be okay if you don't hold it down too long.
W=J*s
Watts are equal to Joules (energy) per second (time). So it would seem that a 30W iron produces the same amount of energy as a 15W iron, but in half the time. So you would only need to hold a 30W iron to a point for half the time a 15W iron would require. As long as you keep this in mind and just lightly tap your solder points quickly, you should be okay with a higher Wattage iron.

#5 hevnsnt

hevnsnt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 August 2002 - 03:41 PM

If all else fails, I will buy you one here and ship it to you if you would like..

#6 Shadow_Mx

Shadow_Mx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 12:36 AM

Well, Im gonna try to use the 30wt

I went to 5 radio shcaks already, no one has the 15wt soldering iron, they dont even have the 30/15 wt one (checked the site)

it would be really greato if you bought one and send it, although it might take some time to get here (about 5 days, i Live in mexico)

k, thanks for the info.

#7 hevnsnt

hevnsnt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 04:07 AM

well if you want me too.. Just email me.. hevnsnt@i-hacked.com.. I would be more than happy to do it for you..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users