18 replies to this topic

#1 edwardaux

edwardaux

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 11:05 PM

After a long hibernation, OpenXDK has finally released some more code containing a number of fairly major changes. Highlights include:

- Migration to a GCC-based toolchain. It now compiles using the Cygwin GCC compiler. Unfortunately, as much as it would have been desirable to support both MS and GNU toolchains, the practicalities are such that the MS compilers are no longer supported. Sorry! (Although, theoretically, you should be able to compile your application using the MS compilers and link in the GCC-compiled OpenXDK libraries.)

- It now contains a complete libc replacement (thanks to newlib.) This means that 99% of the normal stdio, memory, sprintf, et al routines are available.

- Multimedia support is provided using the Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) and supports video, joysticks and event handling. Video is currently limited to 640x480 or smaller. Only one joystick/pad is supported (but that is expected to be fixed soon.)

- To demonstrate the capabilities of the current OpenXDK framework, the SDL port of Doom (without sound or networking) is able to be compiled and executed. You will need to find a DOOM1.WAD (shareware) and put it in the root of your XBOX's C drive.

- Sound and networking are currently not supported. If you have experience in interfacing with the NVidia nForce MCP-D chip at the hardware/driver level, please get involved!

Head on over to http://openxdk.sourceforge.net to check out the latest code. Or pay a quick visit to http://www.openxdk.org for the current documentation.

Edited by edwardaux, 05 October 2004 - 03:26 AM.

#2 HoRnEyDvL

HoRnEyDvL

Nexgen Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 October 2004 - 12:03 AM

This is great news. Hopefully it will be as powerfull as normal sdk. Great work guys keep it coming.

#3 heinrich

heinrich

..assuming the role of God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 12:23 AM

nice beerchug.gif
Have you seen/looked into free-xdk ? Maybe could use for some input or img libs.

#4 buckwilliamsca

buckwilliamsca

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 04:43 AM

wonderful! a great step forward in the xbox homebrew scene. Hopefully OpenXDK will open avenues not thought of before smile.gif

Cheers!

#5 d0wnlab

d0wnlab

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 05 October 2004 - 04:43 AM

I think I speak for all linux developers out there when I say:

oh. my. god

I've always hoped that one day I could gcc together an xbox app/game, and the day has come. Wow. Freaking awesome.

Thank you.

#6 Artifex

Artifex

Kitten Beware...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 October 2004 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE (heinrich @ Oct 5 2004, 01:26 AM)
nice  beerchug.gif
Have you seen/looked into free-xdk ?  Maybe could use for some input or img libs.

Actually, it doesnt look like there's anything here that wasnt in free-xdk already.

I dont recall ever once seeing any of the free-xdk development milestones on x-s news....

All well, that's quite in the past now, I guess.

--Artifex

P.S.

Remember that uber-rad intro animation in the first PBL? Yah, that has to be some of my finer work....

Ah, memories.

Edited by Artifex, 05 October 2004 - 05:52 AM.

#7 Loto_Bak

Loto_Bak

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 05 October 2004 - 06:20 AM

Nice to see some progress here again...

Is it possible to eventually replace the xdk completly... or is directX (due to copyrights) impossible to impliment?

Artifex
if your going to say something dont beat around the bush... say 'why does x-s not post milestones of free-xdk'
Did you submit the news? no? hrm

? your PBL has to do with?

sry but the tone of your post is annoying...

I rather people say what they want to say rather than

<semi complaint here>

<lookie im a old scener respect what i say here>

No flames... just curious why you dont post what you think in plain english rather then under the table political crap
that sir is what ruins the scene

Edited by Loto_Bak, 05 October 2004 - 06:28 AM.

#8 jimmsta

jimmsta

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:meh. Xbox 360 hacking... and other such things.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 05 October 2004 - 06:35 AM

W0W.... I thought that the OpenXDK project was lost... guess not...

Caustik must be trying to get cxbx towards a more versatile app.....

#9 freakdave

freakdave

X-S X-perience

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:PROGRAMMING,XBOX...

Posted 05 October 2004 - 06:42 AM

wow,now that the OpenXDK has SDL implemented (even though there's missing sound support),i think i should start converting my SDL-ports :-) . This is really great news !

Edited by freakdave, 05 October 2004 - 06:44 AM.

#10 kaede2k1

kaede2k1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE (Artifex @ Oct 5 2004, 06:54 AM)
Actually, it doesnt look like there's anything here that wasnt in free-xdk already.

I dont recall ever once seeing any of the free-xdk development milestones on x-s news....

maybe its time Free-XDK made a 0.1 release as opposed to solely CVS?

either way there are some extremely talented hackers out there.. gg to the devs

#11 katolo

katolo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:30 AM

Is it possible to compile pbl-meetoo or any dashboard with this now... if yes wouldn't it mean that it is completly legal to softmod an xbox....

#12 jippie

jippie

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (Artifex @ Oct 5 2004, 06:54 AM)

Shit, why haven't I heard anything.
Have you guys not been telling X-S?

Why arn't you working together on this it is so important that we have a free legal XDK on the xbox.

jippie

#13 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,995 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 05 October 2004 - 02:01 PM

Wuhooo, this has been hibernating for sooo long, good work! beerchug.gif

#14 b01

b01

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:Fast Computers, Fast Women, and Fast Cars!!!

Posted 05 October 2004 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (katolo @ Oct 5 2004, 09:33 AM)
Is it possible to compile pbl-meetoo or any dashboard with this now... if yes wouldn't it mean that it is completly legal to softmod an xbox....

Here here, has anyone tried to compile one of these, or better yet, has anyone trried to compile XBMC or Avalaunch with this. How about trying to compile the Mouse test app with this.

HELL! Y don't I try it. Where can I download!? ph34r.gif Dang, I don't have linux on my system sad.gif (wish I'd bought that 250GB drive and installed dual systems like I started to). Guess I'll have to try linking the files.

Wish it had some instructions so I knew what I was doing!

Edited by b01, 05 October 2004 - 03:49 PM.

#15 stealth

stealth

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 05:14 PM

Open-xdk does not let you recompile normal MS xdk written apps (dashboards, graphics tests etc.). It does not provide the same API as the normal xbox libs, and doesn't support 3d graphics at all (nor does it support 2d-accelerated graphics?).

This is not meant to downplay open-xdk at all, it is just a response to the sorts of comments like "Can you recompile evox now?"

It DOES allow people to write completely new applications and to port some SDL apps. Someone could fairly easily write a dashboard using open-xdk now. Which would be pretty cool. Looks like open-xdk is still in a bit of fledgling state though, but I'm sure it will improve now that someone has gotten more interest in it.

P.S. Looks like I'm one of the oldest xbox-scene members there is. Doesn't that count for something? smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users