ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 October 2004 - 12:34 AM

ok, i got a buddy who has a samsung, i have a thomson...
all my backups work fine, his get DDE... we basically use the same brand media (ritek) but he got his elsewhere, while i got mine at newegg.
i use internal sony burner, he uses external HP.
both have same bios (4983) and use unleashX
trying to help him get his problem sorted out and figure out whats the best media for him to use.

edit: we both rip with flashfxp, iso with ISOmaker, and burn with recordnowDX

was wondering, since i know there are different kinds of riteks, of the ones i know..
as far as 4x (what i use) and dvd-r (most compatable)

Ritek G04 DVD-R 4X (White Inkjet Printable/Hub Branded)
Ritek G04 DVD-R 4X (Blank Silver Matte)
Ritek G04 DVD-R 4X (Blank Silver Shiny)

out of those.. which would be rated the best for compatability and quality

and as far as store... meritline has a better layout for what they have.
newegg has great service and delivery.

which do you use if either of those? (stores)

well... any input (as long as its correct) is wanted... chefelf.. you are the backup jedi, shed some wisdom please!

thank

Edited by ILLusions0fGrander, 07 October 2004 - 12:39 AM.

#2 masonshoemocker

masonshoemocker

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:09 AM

I use Ritek DVD+RWs in my XBOX. Got them from Newegg also. Got the 50 pack. I can vouch that these discs work for both drives. I had a Thomson and they worked perfectly (I did do the laser mod though). I switched it out for a Samsung though because I wanted the drive to be able to read CD-RWs so that I could just rip music from using 1 CD-RW over and over.

#3 re4de2ye0

re4de2ye0

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:50 AM

I personally use the G04 silver matte tops and have yet to have a problem. I have the Thompson drive. You might want to tell your buddy to burn them at a slower speed, just because it says 4x doesn't mean that you are going to get a good burn everytime. I always do mine at 2x and haven't had any coasters. It takes a little a while about 30 minutes but it may be worth it in the end.

#4 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 October 2004 - 07:31 AM

Either the Silver Matte or the Silver Shiny. Both are good. The White Tops seem to give people the most trouble out of all of the Ritek discs. It could be the fact that your buddy is using an HP (poor soul) as HP burners often don't live up to the cost. At this point I only ever recommend two burners. The NEC 3500A or the Pioneer 108. Both have proven to stand out from the others in terms of flexiblity with media and they also have the most firmware upgrade options, which comes in handy as many problems can be fixed with firmware upgrades. He definitely might want to look into upgrading his firmware.

#5 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:22 AM

well, i use a sony dru-510a, with no firmware upgrade, and have 60+ xbox backups, and 100+ dvd movie backups without even 1, yes, one faulty burn that wasnt my fault due to bad file structure.
so maybe you (jester) should add that burner to your list.

oh yea, when i backed up cape fear, the ending is messed up, but u think it was a media issue, and one of the first discs i burnt.

thanks for the info.
any other suggestions are welcome.

#6 Intensecure

Intensecure

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 07 October 2004 - 10:20 AM

so maybe you (jester) should add that burner to your list

Ditto Lite-On burners (latest Sony burners are re-badged Lite-Ons anyway).
Great range of flashable improved firmware, and best support network and user base (along with NECs) in the business. Can also be bitset easily as DVD-ROMs for Xbox use.
Never had a coaster cool.gif

#7 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (Intensecure @ Oct 7 2004, 11:23 AM)
Can also be bitset easily as DVD-ROMs for Xbox use.
Never had a coaster cool.gif

for some reason, using the lite-on bitsetting tool for my sony dru-510a... it wont let me, says "maybe F/W not support"

but my thomson reads the dvd+r's anyways.

thanks for the input, seems it may be a burner issue then, cant think of any other reason it wouldnt work for him, yet work for me using the same methods.

#8 chefelf

chefelf

Brandishing the Triforce of Modding

• Head Moderators
  • 7,407 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Web Design, Writing, Cycling, Hardware Modification, Building Computers, Music
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:53 PM

In theory any of those Ritek DVD-R should work having the g04 dye.

Have you tried a different type of media with your friend's Xbox? For example, +RW?

I recommend newegg. They have superior service and very low shipping fees. I've been ordering well over $10,000 worth of stuff from them a year (not for me, for customers... wink.gif) and I've never had a single issue with them. They're the best consumer electronics company I've ever dealt with.

So you are both using different burners? What media are you using?

#9 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (ILLusions0fGrander @ Oct 7 2004, 10:25 AM)
well, i use a sony dru-510a, with no firmware upgrade, and have 60+ xbox backups, and 100+ dvd movie backups without even 1, yes, one faulty burn that wasnt my fault due to bad file structure.
so maybe you (jester) should add that burner to your list.

oh yea, when i backed up cape fear, the ending is messed up, but u think it was a media issue, and one of the first discs i burnt.

thanks for the info.
any other suggestions are welcome.

I was talking about CURRENT burners. I have a Pioneer 105 that still works great but I don't recommend it because you can't purchase them new. The Dru-510A was the last model that was actually made by Sony. I still disagree about the Lite-On burners. I see more issues with them than the other burners and that is even after doing firmware updates. Part of it is that the Lite-Ons seem to get along better with +R than -R, whereas the NEC and Pioneer seem to be pretty evenly balanced between the two formats.

#10 southbark

southbark

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 10:54 PM

well i use an Nec 2510-a and ritek Go4 matte disk and have never had any backups go bad i have made well over 200 backups with no problem for me and my friends.One thing to note the inkjet printable ones may not spin correctly due to weight and if you put labels on your dvd's this can happen to.So stick with sharpie's.Advise burning at the lowest speed possible for xbox games to.Also meritline.com is a good place to buy riteks there on sale for les then 50 cent each for the 8x speeds

#11 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE (chefelf @ Oct 7 2004, 10:56 PM)
So you are both using different burners? What media are you using?

well, supposedly we are using the same media, only from different places, mine are from newegg.com (ritek dvd-r 4x G04, with the arrow and says "ridata" on the disc)
and he got his from somewhere else, and he already sent one package back and got a new one in the mail, and the first disc he tried got a DDE.

#12 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 04:31 AM

If he ordered from meritline or supermediastore, I can understand. They seem to put out more fakes, defective discs than anyone else. This isn't saying that everyone ends up like this (most don't) but I definitely hear more customer service problems about these two stores than the others. Have you tried testing out your working backups on his system? I personally only trust newegg.com and rima.com for media. Never gotten a single bad Ritek disc from either site and both sites have consistantly rated very high for costomer service.

#13 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 05:44 AM

heh, he lives a thousand or so miles away... hes a friend i play splinter cell on xbl with so that wont really work...
i was gonna send him a +r i got so he could see if his sammy would read it, so maybe ill send a -r for him to test also.

i noticed that on max, these discs only burn at around 2x for some reason, while my ritek +R and memorex -r burn at 4x. strange.

#14 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 07:28 AM

My latest batch of Ritek labeled G04s from newegg.com burn at 4x everytime on my 105. Have you tried updating the firmware for your burner? Also what software are you using? I just picked up Prassi ONES myself (the new alternative for Recordnow Max users) and can't wait to try it out. I love the layout. biggrin.gif

#15 t_skraggs

t_skraggs

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 01:14 PM

I use the G04s as well. I get them from shop4tech.com. There is a 10% off coupon right now -- "cs10"

I don't backup my XBox games, but I do burn a lot of homemade DVDs. They play in my XBox just fine, and out of about 300 or so, I haven't had a single problem. I just ordered another 100 this morning, which is why I have that coupon code stuck in my head.

100 Ritek (RICOH-JPN) G04 Shiny
100 Sleeves with Plastic Window

$43 shipped. (Would have been $36 shipped, without the sleeves)

NewEgg isn't the cheapest when it comes to media.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users