caseyhalone

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 October 2004 - 03:39 AM

got to thinking a few days ago about this, looking for some feedback from the scene.

Get an old cdrom drive, gut everything but the stuff that makes it eject, fit an lcd into the tray, which will involve some sanding dremeling, etc. solder a wire to the eject button to have it mount where you want, then mount it to come out the top of your dash.
you can cover it with vinyl to match your car and be stealth. im not super familar with car stereos but i know they have an amp singal wire to tell the amp to turn on when the stereo is on. would this work to eject the cd tray as well?

anyway, just thought of this the other day, if someone has already done one, maybe you can hook me up with some pictures. i am thinking of using my hippad screen but what would be the largest size i could run and still fit it in the tray? i realize 4:3 format would be better for this. although i prefer 16:9.

like i said any feedback would be sweet.

thanks guys

#2 Thread Reaper

Thread Reaper

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:59 AM

You can buy in-dash LCD screens already that work exactly like that. I don't know if you knew that and are trying to save money, or if you didn't know they were out there, but they're not too terribly expensive, and you can even get them with dvd/cd/mp3 players built in as well as a tv tuner. Check out a copy of J.C. Whitney to see 'em.

#3 caseyhalone

caseyhalone

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 05:30 AM

yeah, i have seen the ones that go in place of your cd player. i want a vertical mount/ modded/cheaper than an in dash flip out version.

i need a drive where i can take the top off where the cd would be held from the top.

this would also be sweet mounted vertically coming out of the top of a pc tower.

i am eager to tackle this task but if anyone has the materials laying around, by all means, give it a shot. i know i wont have the funds to do it for some time.

#4 caseyhalone

caseyhalone

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 07:34 PM

does anyone think this idear would/could work? it sounded pretty slick to me. esp if you have an lcd screen laying around. maybe ill check at the pawn shops for one. how thin have you seen them with the casing removed?

#5 Thread Reaper

Thread Reaper

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 08 October 2004 - 12:19 AM

I think it definitely could work. But unless you already have the LCD and the drive and all that stuff laying around, I'm guessing that by the time you buy what you need to build it, you might as well just buy one of the in-dash LCDs that are on the market already. Some of them are as low as $150, depending on what features you want/need.

Just my .02

#6 Mick Garvey

Mick Garvey

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 08 October 2004 - 12:24 AM

ahh, cool but not worth it

#7 crazy8

crazy8

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 12:37 AM

DAMN IT. someone who thinks like me....thats exactly what im doing to my box when i get a screen and i was hoping no one would think of it..oh well still original so im still going to do it. biggrin.gif

#8 Samstag

Samstag

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 08 October 2004 - 07:16 AM

Check this out. It's made for a G35, but it's a nice compact package that should fit in approximately the space of a CD drive. It's not motorized but it looks like pretty high quality stuff.
user posted image

#9 Sord_Fish

Sord_Fish

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 08 October 2004 - 10:30 AM

i was thinking of doing this too wink.gif

i've just bought a few 5" lcd so when i get em im gunna give this ago

#10 caseyhalone

caseyhalone

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 05:09 PM

im thinking a psone lcd would be the cheapest option. anyone seen cheaper? ive seen them go for around $40 US. as for cd rom, everyones got an old one laying around. i even have a 1x model that slides out and has a lid. like this user posted image

but thats a little to old. but i still say its kind of neat. dry.gif

what lcd screen did you get sord_fish?

#11 Sord_Fish

Sord_Fish

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 08 October 2004 - 05:15 PM

these

that cd rom looks pretty funny

i was going to strip the casing off the lcd and mount it in a custom drive tray
the only problem is getting it to go vertical again.

#12 crazy8

crazy8

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 04:24 AM

Well since this is amod i wanted to do so bad i have been thinking of anyway possable to get it to go vertical once the screen is ejected from drive.Its kinda hard to explaine so once i get a screen and a few parts i am going to try out a few things to see if i can get any of them to work.If i do i will post it fisrt thing. biggrin.gif

#13 sic_conceptions

sic_conceptions

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 05:02 AM

ha, ive never seen a cdrom liek that. its awesome.
anyways, i also think it would be easier/about the same cost to just by one although that does take away the fun of modding.
also, i jsut wanted to say i remember your xbox from way back when. i always really liked it other than the fan on top but thats just personal preferance. nice job on it though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users