10 replies to this topic

#1 bearauto

bearauto

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 10 August 2002 - 04:21 PM

I'm kinda hesitant in installing my x-ecuter after hearing a couple of horror stories at w0rldxb0x. My father says that he would help me, but I don't know if I can trust him with soldering these intricate wires...and he says that a 15W iron is too weak! Well, I suppose we'll just have to try it.

#2 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 August 2002 - 05:44 PM

Well, 15W is fine for electronics work.

Hopefully your Dad's experience doesn't lay solely with soldering plumbing fixtures biggrin.gif

#3 bearauto

bearauto

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 10 August 2002 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Aug 10 2002, 04:44 PM)
Well, 15W is fine for electronics work.

Hopefully your Dad's experience doesn't lay solely with soldering plumbing fixtures biggrin.gif

Seriously man, that's the thing...he's got over 25 years of auto repair experience...and I don't know the extent to how much circuitry experience he's had...I don't want to you know, insult him by asking him if he's sure he can do it...lol.

#4 public_enema

public_enema

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 August 2002 - 03:52 AM

Yeh same with my dad.

He has a degree in electronics, and has done so much soldering work in the past - so I got him to show me how good he was on an old PC motherboard.

The geezer couldn't even see the solder pads!, and the funny thing is, he wouldn't admit it - even why I asked him why the iron was no-where near the joint.

I started practicing instead, and it worked out really well - I fitted my x-ecuter today.

#5 Kungfucow

Kungfucow

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 August 2002 - 04:55 AM

You may need an iron with a little more kick to it than a 15w for the X-ecutor. Even on the homebrew, there were a couple of points that were really tough with a 15w iron. To do the holes on the LPC header I'd use a little hotter iron and then go back to the 15w for the single wire.

That chip looks a snap to install after doing these 29 wire deals.

#6 MrEs

MrEs

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 11 August 2002 - 08:32 AM

lol yea the 29 wire would have been a nightmare.. ;p

#7 Bugman

Bugman

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 August 2002 - 04:26 PM

Still a hell of alot easier than the no-swap 23 wire PS2 mod installs. Now that really sucked. We've got it so good.

#8 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 11 August 2002 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (Bugman @ Aug 11 2002, 11:26 AM)
Still a hell of alot easier than the no-swap 23 wire PS2 mod installs. Now that really sucked. We've got it so good.

Really, well, I thought about giving it a go after my success with the Xbox.

I've got a US v3, and I've been waiting for a decent no-swap to come out. To me it looked like the VIAs were pretty much the same as the Xbox points. The only tricky part looked to be the points that required soldering to the chip pins.

So what was more difficult on the PS2? huh.gif

#9 Bugman

Bugman

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 August 2002 - 06:08 PM

The chip legs were the most difficult. Place a razor blade in between the legs to act as a shield as you solder. Also some of those squarish IC things were tricky. Some of the mod makers are starting to use a clip design that makes it easier..

#10 xmods

xmods

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 August 2002 - 05:11 AM

I used a 30w/15w iron set on 30w for the lpc points then i turned it down to 15w for the point on the mobo. Another thing that you may want to do is after you have the chip installed, take out the mobo and flip it and take a look at the lpc points on the bottom and touch them up with some solder, what i found was that most tips are small enough to fit all the way into the hole until you reach the lpc points, so if you hit them from the bottom you should be ok. I'd wait until you have tried it without hitting the points on the bottom first, just in case you have some real fine tips that do go all the way through. One way to check is with a cold iron, put the tip into one of the holes on the chip and see how far it comes out the other side, if it doesn't come out more than 1-2mm then you'll most likely have to hit the points from the bottom to get it to work. I found this out after spending about 4hours on 2 box's. Now they go in easy. Take care smile.gif

#11 bearauto

bearauto

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 02:37 AM

SUCCESS! After getting the red flashing light, I decided to pull out the MB and shove the soldering iron into the points again until I saw that the pads on the back of the MB "bubbled" out...that did it! And I since then, I have discovered that my Thomson DVD drive plays Vivastar branded CD-Rs!

Joyous!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users