Killazincorp

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 October 2004 - 10:44 PM

I know that this has been asked b4 but the search isnt working and i need to know which media has been tested and works with the thomson drive cuz a local store has some media on sale for today only. I personally have only used Memorex DVD-R with mine and have tried 1 other which was Dynex that didnt work with this drive. The media that is on sale is Sony DVD-R does anyone know if this media works well with the thompson drive. Please post reply about this media and any others you have tried. Thanks

EDIT: Also Khypermedia DVD-R and DVD+R are on sale

Edited by Killazincorp, 11 October 2004 - 10:48 PM.

#2 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 October 2004 - 01:39 AM

For best results steer clear of store labels. The so-called "good deals" are often comparable to the regular deals you get online. Part of the problem is that store labels outsource so it is hard to tell who is actually manufacturing the discs from batch to batch. Most will agree that Ritek DVD-R is great media for the price and highly compatible. Ritek is a manufacturer so you never have to guess about who is putting the dye on their discs. If you want nothing but the best though, then Taiyo Yuden is the way to go. Once again they are a manufacturer so no guesswork is involved from batch to batch and they employ VERY rigid quality standards when producing thier media. You can get 50 packs of 8x Taiyo Yuden DVD-R for $30+shipping (generally $4-$5 for ground) from http://www.rima.com The site's reputation is excellent and I can personally vouch for them. I have bought several batches of discs from them and never had a single disc that produced a coaster or a deal that went screwy. http://www.newegg.com carries 4x and 8x Ritek DVD-R in 50 packs and they will run about $27 with shipping (there is a special today on the 8x ones).

#3 KolNedra

KolNedra

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 December 2004 - 04:02 PM

I bought a ten pack with imation dvd's.
Burned my xbox backups with 2x
And haven't test all the games yet, but the ones I've tested so far are bogus.
"The disc is dirty or damaged" and the game freezes.

FUCK FUCK FUCK
So don't buy imation dvd's (if you have a thompson dvd-rom)

#4 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 December 2004 - 04:34 PM

jesterace.... im telling you one more time... you need a sig link to a post you should make detailing your feelings on what media to use so you can just say "check link".... these damn kids will never get it, and will always ask this same question... you practice great patience my friend... i salute you beerchug.gif

edit:and as a matter of fact, 24 shipped for 50 riteks dvd-r at newegg for G04's
double edit: i had sony discs and they did not work on my thomson

Edited by ILLusions0fGrander, 30 December 2004 - 04:36 PM.

#5 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(KolNedra @ Dec 30 2004, 04:33 PM)
I bought a ten pack with imation dvd's.
Burned my xbox backups with 2x
And haven't test all the games yet, but the ones I've tested so far are bogus.
"The disc is dirty or damaged" and the game freezes.

FUCK FUCK FUCK
So don't buy imation dvd's (if you have a thompson dvd-rom)

View Post

Don't buy imation DVDRs PERIOD. Unless you really know your media, you just get hosed by buying it from the store. Labels like imation love whoring themselves out to dye manufacturers which give them the best deal at the time. Therefore you get absolutely no consistancy from batch to batch. You might get one batch that is produced by a decent manufacturer (ie Ritek) and the next batch could be Princo or CMC. The worst part is that you often pay more for them than you would for the highest quality discs. Unless there is some super sale going on, I can get Taiyo Yuden for cheaper than Imation.

#6 Patriot

Patriot

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 31 December 2004 - 02:12 AM

If you are going to buy media in the store, but packages that say MADE IN JAPAN on the back of them, no matter the manufacturer. Sony, Maxell, and Fuji all use Japanese media for some of their discs. DO NOT buy Made In Taiwan media. Sony, Maxell, and Fuji sometimes use Taiwanese media too so check the label.

You have to pay a little to play. 25 cent Princos and Khypermedia won't get you far.

#7 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 02:16 AM

QUOTE(Patriot @ Dec 31 2004, 02:43 AM)
If you are going to buy media in the store, but packages that say MADE IN JAPAN on the back of them, no matter the manufacturer.  Sony, Maxell, and Fuji all use Japanese media for some of their discs.  DO NOT buy Made In Taiwan media.  Sony, Maxell, and Fuji sometimes use Taiwanese media too so check the label.

You have to pay a little to play.  25 cent Princos and Khypermedia won't get you far.

View Post

Yup as virtually all of the MADE IN JAPAN media is made by Taiyo Yuden. Unfortunately not all locations stock this stuff. Taiwanese media seems to have virtually taken over everything in stores. dry.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users