• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 thug

thug

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 09:09 PM

I'm trying to read up on the manuals and tutorials and stuff because I'm thinking about getting my Xbox modded with a Xenium Ice. Anyway, I have a few questions...hopefully they aren't stupid. Thanks to all that reply:

1) Is hooking up the Xbox and PC via System Link (crossover) cable the best way to connect the two? (as opposed to going through a hub, switch, router, etc) Is a CAT5e cable what I'm looking for for this? How do I check to make sure my PC is capable of this?

2) dvd2xbox - Is this a good program to back up games to the HDD? If not, state some others. Do you place this program on the Xbox HDD and run it from there? Do you have to be connected to the PC to do this?

3) FTP or Samba - Is it possible to just use Samba instead of FTP? Which way have some of you found to work the easiest to transfer files?

4) Do you have to FTP to install a dashboard? Or is there a way to install from CD?

5) OS's on chip - With new ones and updates coming out every once in a while is it easy to erase or update them on the mod chip? Or does this have the potential to really screw things up?

Hope no rules or anything were broken with these questions and I appreciate anyone's response. Thanks.

#2 Killa420

Killa420

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 09:16 PM

1: I use a router setup with dhcp. Simple as cake. As long as you have a router and you pc has a lan card then it should work. If you want to just connect the xbox to the pc directly, use a crossover cable. Otherwise with the router, you will need the regular cat5 direct cable.

2: dvd2box goes on your hard drive. You dont have to ftp at all.

3: no idea sorry

4: You can use slayers autoinstall to install evox with a cd but ftp'ing is easier to me.

5: I've done upgrades from beta 2.0 to 2.0.0 then to 2.0.1 without any problems. Its really easy too.

#3 Artifex

Artifex

Kitten Beware...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 October 2004 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (thug @ Oct 12 2004, 10:12 PM)
I'm trying to read up on the manuals and tutorials and stuff because I'm thinking about getting my Xbox modded with a Xenium Ice. Anyway, I have a few questions...hopefully they aren't stupid. Thanks to all that reply:

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people who don't ask questions.

1)  Is hooking up the Xbox and PC via System Link (crossover) cable the best way to connect the two?  (as opposed to going through a hub, switch, router, etc)  Is a CAT5e cable what I'm looking for for this?  How do I check to make sure my PC is capable of this?

Personally, I prefer using a hub/switch/etc.... the xbox, being basically a PC in a box, sits on the network just like any other PC in any other box.

2)  dvd2xbox - Is this a good program to back up games to the HDD?  If not, state some others.  Do you place this program on the Xbox HDD and run it from there?  Do you have to be connected to the PC to do this?

You can do everything without a connection to a pc, but it is a bit harder, and you'll be burning lots of CDs which may or may not read in the box. Best to get a network going.

3)  FTP or Samba - Is it possible to just use Samba instead of FTP?  Which way have some of you found to work the easiest to transfer files?

Smb is easier to use, but harder to set up initially. It really comes down to personal preference.

4)  Do you have to FTP to install a dashboard?  Or is there a way to install from CD?

As I said above, you can use CDs for everything, but it's a bit more of a hassle.

5)  OS's on chip - With new ones and updates coming out every once in a while is it easy to erase or update them on the mod chip?  Or does this have the potential to really screw things up?

It is 100% impossible to screw things up just from an OS update, as long as you follow the simple directions. It is 85% impossible to screw things up by not following the directions, and if you do it's usually a very easy fix.

Hope no rules or anything were broken with these questions and I appreciate anyone's response.  Thanks.

Always glad to help, and I hope you enjoy your new Xenium!

--Artifex

#4 Gumba

Gumba

X-S Freak

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 13 October 2004 - 04:43 AM

The trick with the "FTP or SMB?" question is that most of the time you'll actually be using the FTP server built into your dashboard (Ava, Evox, UnleashX, XBMC, etc), and most dashboards don't yet have SMB serving built-in.... so unless you want to do all transfers via teh XOS (you don't), then you'll be wanting to use FTP.

But that's not such a problem, just use the Avalaunch dashboard and the Qwix program on the PC... its a magic combo smile.gif

#5 ckh2004

ckh2004

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 05:47 AM

Recently I installed one Xenium Ice on a v1.6 xbox. I am not impressed at all. I find that the Xenium OS update unnecessarily complicated. I have installed many Aladdin chips before with no problem. I would recommend Aladdin XT which is about US$10-14, cheap and good enough.

Back to your questions:

1) Make sure you configure 100Mbps HALF Duplex on your PC (cross cable) or switch end. Your transfer will be sporadic and slow otherwise. I use a dedicated NIC card in my PC to connect to the xbox because it is easier for me to force 100Mbps/Half Duplex under the NIC hardware properties. I bridged the two NIC cards in my PC so that the xbox can go out through a broadband router.

2) DVD2XBOX is good for backing up games to hdd. It will patch games to run from hdd. It is good enough for me, so I have no need for other tools.

3) FTP using Avalaunch dashboard (xbox) and QWIX or FlashFXP (PC) gives me avarage transfer speed of 6MBytes/s. Samba is for sharing files with PC under XBMC.

4) Get Slayer's Auto-Installer 2.6 from http://slayer.xbox-scene.com/. It makes your life much easier. It has all the functionalities of the Xenium OS (why duplicate in hardware?).

5) Get Aladdin XT and you won't have to bother about Xenium OS update. Use just the power button to directly choose the retail or hacked bios. Use Xecuter2 4981 or 4983 bios for v1.0-1.5 and Evox M8_1.6 for v1.6 xbox. Once working, you hardly need to update the bios. Use better tool like raincoat to reliably flash the Aladdin mod chip. Get the latest Slayer's Auto-Installer if you want the latest software.

#6 thug

thug

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 03:21 PM

Thanks to all that replied. The following is my plan of attack thanks to your replies:

1) I'm planning on getting a wireless router, those usually have the 4 port switch included which I'll use to network my Xbox to the PC. I'll be getting a new laptop for my work soon and I'm sure it will be wireless ready so that also played into my decision.

2) You guys answered my questions on dvd2xbox, thanks. ckh2004 - you mentioned something about dvd2xbox patching games to run from your HDD. Do you have to do any kind of patching to homebrew games to get them to run from your HDD?

3) Avalaunch dash & QWIX on the PC - Heard enough good things about these to use them to FTP.

4) I know using the Slayer Auto Install is the best/easiest way to install the Evox dash, but if I install the Avalaunch dash I wouldn't also install the Evox dash would I? Or is there a way to use Avalaunch for FTP and Evox dash for the launch dash?

5) OK, updating OS's doesn't seem to be very difficult according to all of you. I'm afraid what I meant to say was BIOS updates. Or are BIOS updates pretty much as easy as updates to the chip OS?

#7 appleguru

appleguru

an Apple a Day...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:28 PM

BIOS updates are even easier than OS updates biggrin.gif You have a gazillion methods of doing so as way. You can FTP or SMB the BIOS onto the xbox's HDD and flash it from there (Go to the launch menu, choose add new item, choose flash, and navigate to the file...), you can put it on a USB thumbdrive and flash... Burn it to a CD and flash... Use the built in webserver (needs XOS 2.0.1 or greater) and flash directly from your PC...

The best part is, any of these will work, and will work great. If you have your xbox networked, then the webbrowser method is the easiest; just type your xbox's IP in any web browser.

Do you have to do any kind of patching to homebrew games to get them to run from your HDD?

Nope, and most retail games needn't be patched either.

4) I know using the Slayer Auto Install is the best/easiest way to install the Evox dash, but if I install the Avalaunch dash I wouldn't also install the Evox dash would I? Or is there a way to use Avalaunch for FTP and Evox dash for the launch dash?

Nahh, don't use slayers... And yes, you can have both ava and evox... Use XOS2's built in SMB or FTP features to put the files from ava on C:. Then put evox's files in a folder called evox in a folder called apps on E: or F: (If you have an upgraded HDD). Be sure evoxdash.xbe gets renamed to default.xbe. This will have ava be your boot dash and allow evox to be loaded as an app in avalaunch (Note, EvoX's name as an app is RemoteX by default).

#8 Gumba

Gumba

X-S Freak

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:33 AM

(Note, EvoX's name as an app is RemoteX by default).

Heh, I didn't know that smile.gif

I always have a hard-coded c:\evoxdash.xbe launch item in my ava.xml smile.gif

#9 appleguru

appleguru

an Apple a Day...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE (Gumba @ Oct 13 2004, 09:36 PM)

Heh, I didn't know that smile.gif

I always have a hard-coded c:\evoxdash.xbe launch item in my ava.xml smile.gif

Yeah; I've renamed mine to EvoX so as to avoid confusion biggrin.gif

/me wonders why EvoX named it RemoteX... The dashes telnet server is named this as well wink.gif

#10 Gumba

Gumba

X-S Freak

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:51 AM

My guess would be that was their first xbox app of any consequence and it evolved into the dashboard known as evox...

and it never occurred to them that you'd be launching evox dash as an app from another dash wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users