X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 October 2004 - 06:42 AM

Hi,

I need to install Avalaunch and I would like to keep Evox. So browsing in www.teamavalaunch.com
I find this:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOWTO: Make Avalaunch your dashboard without flashing your BIOS!
or: "Help, how do I switch from EvolutionX to Avalaunch and still keep EvoX??"

"--be very careful! If you are using a much older BIOS, and you incorrectly rename your avalaunch.xbe, your xbox will not boot. If you have any doubts, open your BIOS with XBTool and check the boot order, so you know what to name it. You have been warned. If you have any doubts, flash your BIOS to 4981 before doing this, and it WILL work fine"

"These instructions do assume that you are using an Xecuter2 BIOS, though."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I'm almost a rookie in this matters, but "researching we can find Rome". I didn't know what is BIos, so I find this definition: "Bios: program which is permanently located in a computer's memory and is activated at startup" "Determines what a computer cand do without accesing programs from a disk" "contains all the code required to display the screen, disk drives, serial communications, and a number of miscelaneous functions" "The Bios is tipycally placed in a ROM chip that comes with the computer"

Eureka! I guess that I've understand what is Bios. My Xbox has installed an Aladin Advance Chip, so I guess that this chip gives the instruction to launchs Evox Dashboard and not the Microsot's when the system boots.

6 QUESTIONS:

1)What could I know if my Bios is much older?
2) What happens if my Bios is old, but If I donīt rename incorrectly avalaunch.exe?
3)What Is flash Bios? I guess that flash is a kind of seal that is set when you change instructions to the Bios. Is it True?
4)What is flash your BIos to 4981, and how can I do ti?
5)I have downloaded the Xbox Tool and It seems to run in PC and not in Xbox, do I have to convert the files to isoX and install this application in Xbox to check Bios?
6) Xecuter2 is a chip like Aladin's?

Regards...Seadolph.

#2 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 13 October 2004 - 06:59 AM

1) If it's an Aladdin Advance, chances are about 80-90% certain that you have a new enough Xecuter 2 or Evox M7/8 BIOS.

2)Your bios would then look for another xbe file, such as xboxdash.xbe, etc. This depends on the three dash loading options programmed in your BIOS.

3) Flash BIOS? Not sure what you mean, but the phrase "Flash BIOS" means to write a new bios to your modchip, a process called "flashing".

4)Lemme give you specfic details in about an hour if no one else helps before then. In short, it means to get the X2.4981 BIOS (a recent Xecuter BIOS) from xbins (a special place) and "Flash" it to your chip, giving your chip that new bios. But, you may already HAVE it.

Hint: When you start your XBOX up, do the words Xecuter 2 show at the bottom of the screen, or do you see a red or green triangle showing "Evox" in the upper-left of the screen?

5) XBTool is a PC program for changing certain parts of a BIOS, like the dash loading order (see #2 above). You don't need it unless you want to modify your bios. BIOS files can simply be FTP transfered to a directory on your xbox harddrive (such as C:\BIOS), and then can be used to flash (via different methods, such as "Flash BIOS" option in the Evox menu)

6)They are similar, but very different in many ways. They do the same thing, hold and use a BIOS, and allow you to run non-MS applications (like Evox, Avalaunch, etc), but the Aladdin is a much cheaper chip and doesn't have as many good features as the Xecuter 2 chip (for example, the X2 can hold TWO BIOSes, one you use normally and one you keep for emergencies.

Reply, and I'll answer again in one hour.

Edited by Xombe, 13 October 2004 - 07:04 AM.

#3 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 08:31 AM

Well, it's been far longer than an hour, seadolph. Sorry. Have you read my reply and thought about my questions?

About question 4) "What is flash your BIos to 4981, and how can I do ti?" please answer my question about what you see when you power on your xbox. Maybe you don't need to flash a new BIOS, such as x2.4981

One more question. What is your native language? I don't want to be rude, but I'm an ESL teacher (English as a Second Language Teacher), so if I know what your original language is, I can write my posts more clearly.

Your English so far is pretty good, but many people here don't have the patience to help people who don't speak English perfectly. Personally, I have an interest in your help, because I like to help and because of my job.

But again, YOUR answer to MY question about 4) "What is flash your BIos to 4981, and how can I do it?" is very important. I believe you won't need to flash (put a new bios on to your modchip) your modchip. So, this process might be very easy...! wink.gif

Waiting for your reply,
Xombe

#4 seadolph

seadolph

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 08:35 AM

Xombe

I have backed up C and E drives, so let's start.

Remember that I'm almost a rookie in this matters so I didn't understand some things like:

3)How do you do to write a new bios to your modchip?
4)Lemme didn't give me specfic details and I still don't understand what does get the X2.4981 BIOS mean

Answer to the Hint: When I start my XBOX up, the words Xecuter 2 doesn't show at the bottom of the screen, and I can't see a red or green triangle showing "Evox" in the upper-left of the screen.

Xombe, pleeeeease, "explain me with apples", jep, remember that I'm almost a rookie. I guess that the next steps is to check if I really have the new Executer Bios, if dont' to update it (please tell me how) and finally to follow the steps stated in teamavalaunch to set Avalaunch as my dashboard and loading Evox dashboard just by the right trigger.

Regards....Seadolph.

#5 seadolph

seadolph

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 08:53 AM

Hi Xombe,

Spanish is my native language, sorry if I haven't been so clear.
I guess that our responses are delaying.

I have answered your hint. Please advise me another way to check it. But If it is not updated, it would be very good for me to learn to flash bios, of course with your support.

My Resources: Evox v1.8.2594 as my defalult dashboard. Applications: DVD-X, BoxPlorer, YAMP, Px HDD Loader, XBMC, DVD2Xbox, Xpad, Xbox FTP Client, Unleahs Xbox Launcher, Avalaunch (the one that I want to set as my main db) and finally I have connected my PC to the Xbox. Ah, and of course my Evox includes the Flashing Bios option.

Best Regards...Seadolph.

#6 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 08:58 AM

Okay, I'm writing a full reply right now. Please wait a little bit.

#7 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:01 AM

Okay, before the FULL reply, in Evox go to System Settings and look down to the BIOS section. "BIOS Version: xxxxxxxx". What does xxxxxxxx say. It might say unknown, and that's not a bad thing. Just start there.

ALSO, because you have a network, you can FTP into your XBOX. Check your C: Drive root (meaining C:\) and see if you have a folder called C:\BIOS. Look inside there are list any filenames you see.

Waiting for answer,
Xombe

Edited by Xombe, 14 October 2004 - 09:16 AM.

#8 seadolph

seadolph

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 05:39 AM

Xombe:

My Evox Dashboard (v 1.8.2594) doesn't have the System Settings option, It just have: MS Dashboard, Reboot, Shut down, DVD games, Programs, HDD games, Emulators and SYSTEM UTILITIES that involves: Flash Bios, Backup and Skins. In some skins I can see a line saying "Bios: Unknown".

c:\Bios Has 3 files: Evoxv 2.3.bin, Evoxv 2.4.bin, Evoxv 2.5.bin

Best Regards...Seadolph
Note: I log on daily around Mexico's City midnight (GMT -6 or USA's Center)

#9 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 06:58 AM

Ah, so you have a very basic version of Evox. That's okay.

Okay, so we can't tell easily if what BIOS you have. But it looks like it's an old one. Your Aladdin Advance has a chip that can hold a BIOS 256k (kilobytes) in size. That makes things easier. Let's get you a new BIOS, such as the x2.4981 we talked about before... smile.gif

About that BIOS, you have two choices, so I have a question. Have you installed a new, larger hard drive in your XBOX? If you have, tell me how big is it? That's important.

Next, to be safe, do you know exactly what kind of Aladdin Chip you have. There are many kinds. I KNOW you don't have the newest, the Aladdin Advance Live or Aladdin Advance ++, but look at these pictures and tell me if you know which one you have.

I think maybe you have an Aladdin Advance +, but you might have an older chip, like the Aladdin Advance 64. See the difference? The AA64 has a chip with the word "Lattice", but the AA+ says "Aladdin +" on the same chip. What kind of AA you have is not really important, but if you can know, it will help.

Next major question, do you know what version your XBOX is? There are 6 versions. v1.0 is the oldest, and was made in Mexico! x1.6 is the newest, and can be trouble. If you don't know what version XBOX you have, look on the bottom of the box, at the "Manufacture Date" written on the label. Tell me this, and tell me your serial number, too.

Tell me these answers, and we can choose your BIOS. Then I can help you get it.

#10 seadolph

seadolph

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 10:18 PM

Xombe
HDD: 120GB.
Aladin Advance Chip: The guy that installed it, told me that with this chip I can log on Xbox Live, but it has to be off, but I don't know exactly which one is, so. TBA (let me research)
Manufacture Date: 21/01/2002 and the label says that was made in Mexico (jep, my country) So, please tell me, What's my version?

Awaiting for your response in order to install a new Bios ( x2.4981 ) I guess that I have to Download, install and flash it. Please tell me step by step hoW to do it.

Regards..Seadolph.

#11 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 12:43 AM

I'll give you all that info when I return in 5 hours from this post.

This is all good news...! wink.gif

#12 apcki

apcki

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 01:17 AM

All this to just install avalaunch over evox? You shouldn't have to modify the bios at all. Just ftp into evox, upload avalaunch, and run it from the menus.

#13 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 04:58 AM

Seadolph: Ingore this post..

apcki, if you don't have anything constructive to say, please stay out of this. mad.gif

Have you even READ the posts? He's most likely got an Evox 2.5 BIOS (from back in 2002), and while it supports HD swapping, it doesn't support LBA. Hence by careful questions and support.... smile.gif If he tried to install a larger drive than the 120GB he's got (which we only just learned), he'd run into problems. Have you thought about that? huh.gif
Just ftp into evox, upload avalaunch, and run it from the menus.

Didn't you notice the TITLE of the damn thread, he wants Avalaunch as HIS MAIN DASH, not running from Evox.

Plus, his native language Spanish, and he is doing his best to LEARN about the scene, not just follow some jerk's (non-topical) "advice".

So to sum, up at lead READ the post (shit, at least the title and first post) before you start posting useless replies. dry.gif

Edited: bad italic tag..

Edited by Xombe, 16 October 2004 - 05:05 AM.

#14 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 05:26 AM

To Seadolph:
HDD: 120GB.
Aladin Advance Chip: The guy that installed it, told me that with this chip I can log on Xbox Live, but it has to be off, but I don't know exactly which one is, so. TBA (let me research)
Manufacture Date: 21/01/2002 and the label says that was made in Mexico (jep, my country) So, please tell me, What's my version?

Awaiting for your response in order to install a new Bios ( x2.4981 ) I guess that I have to Download, install and flash it. Please tell me step by step hoW to do it.

HDD size of 120GB makes it easy to chose your BIOS.

AA chip info, I understand enough. The guy means that if you just tap the power button, the xbox boots with the chip OFF so you can go on Live without getting banned, and holding the power button in for about two seconds turns the chip on, this is called "enabling" the chip.

You're box was made January 21, 2002, so it is a version 1.0 xbox. The proof:
If MFG. DATE is November 2002 or later you have a xbox v1.1, else you have a xbox v1.0

You want to download a new BIOS, and I recommend the Xecuter 2 4981 BIOS. Actually, we don't know 100% what your BIOS is, but learning how to get a new bios (and new applications) is a very important learning experience.

BUT, it's kind of difficult. We can't give or trade illegal files (like BIOSes and xbox app) here, but there is a place to get them. BUT, we can't talk very much about it here. sad.gif

Here is your starting point, go read this guide to xbins, also called "the usual places" as a nickname. I can't give you any more info that what's in that guide, but I can help you understand it, if the English is difficult or the programs are difficult to use. But the guide has many pictures, so maybe you can do it okay. wink.gif

If you can do this (get into xbins), then you're 95% of the way finished. And you'll learn a LOT of very important information by trying it. smile.gif

Ask me if you need help with the xbins guide.

#15 seadolph

seadolph

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 09:55 AM

Xombe:

I got it, but I'm not sure which one is:
1)
X2_4981.06_blue_colormod_beta.bin 256kbs
4981.67_256k.bin 256kbs
x2bmv2.exe 360 kbs

Please confirm me the right one and also if I have to FTP to Xbox inside c:\Bios and finally to hint on the Flash Bios Evox Dashboard option. Or if I'm wrong,
2) please tell me the next steps.

Ah, also let me ask you something very stupid. In F Drive I have 45 games and some MP3, backiing up this data took me a lot of time and I'm affraid to lose it in this process. 3)Updating the Bios won't give format to drive F or E?

In your discussion with apcki you said "it doesn't support LBA" 4)What did you mean?

Regards...Seadolph.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users