#1 sapper

sapper

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:06 AM

First let me say i'm not the first to do this. I looked around but couldn't find a short and sweet answer to a Hip Pad LCD install. After digging thru several threads and reading alot pages i decided i would take pictures of my install and offer the most simple explanations i could give in the most basic of forms. I used information gathered from threads by several other X-S members. Including Forta-Kon, Barcode, and cueball13.

Please take note that I removed the audio and speaker wires because I had no intension of using them. If you want to use the speakers I included some information on where to locate those wires.

Please dont flame me on my lack of MSpaint skills. And don't mind the typos.

Step 1. Get a Hip Pad controller. I found this at my local KB Toys. They also have them on thier web site.
user posted image

Step 2. Disassemble the controller. Take extra care not to damage the gold ribbon cable that runs from the LCD screen to the PCB, its flimsy and is prone to ripping. Adding silicone around the ribbon wire to the PCB will strengthen the ribbon cable but it will still be fragile so take extra care to make sure you dont tug or twist it.
user posted image
user posted image

Step 3. Locate your soldering iron and put on the most fine tip you have. If you dont have a fine tip I suggest you get one because the solder points are very small.
user posted image

Step 4. Remove your motherboard and locate the SCART. Its where you video cables plug into the motherboard. You will be soldering on the back side of your mobo.
user posted image[/COLOR]

Edited by sapper, 14 October 2004 - 10:02 PM.

#2 sapper

sapper

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:07 AM

Here is the basic layout of where your wires are going. The pin jumps are needed so you can view the lcd without the a/v cables plugged in. If you cant read the text in the picture, the pin jumps are 4 to 5 and 9 to 10. Also you need to know that if you want to be able to use component cables in the hi-def AV pack you will need to add a switch wired between pin 9 and 10 to disable the LCD. You can not use component video and the LCD at the same time.
user posted image

Step 5. Start soldering. You will notice in my picture i have a black and white wire rather than Yellow and Brown. This is only because i am out of yellow and brown wire so i made a substitution. In the picture you can see the butt end of my cigarette , I placed it there to give you an idea of the scale size of the area and the solder points.
user posted image

Step 6. Clean up the area and tape down the wires on the mobo so you dont get a short and possably risk major damage.
user posted image

Step 7. Solder your orange wire from the lcd controller to the yellow (12v+) wire on the Hard disk power plug. Than solder the green wire to the ground (the black wire next to the yellow). I used a passthru rather than soldering into the actual wires coming from the power supply into the hard disk.
user posted image

Power up and enjoy
user posted image

user posted image

I wont get into mounting it here because thier are several options to choose from as far as location. It can be hard to cram it all in there. I havent even finished mine yet.

Edited by sapper, 21 October 2004 - 04:41 PM.

#3 Varsis

Varsis

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:29 AM

Thank you, great work
Vote to PIN

#4 gcskate27

gcskate27

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts
  • Interests:video games, prgramming, comps, skateboarding, cooking, taking care of my lizards and dachshund
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:40 AM

to anyone thinking of trying this, and there have been fucking shed-loads in the past few months (its almost as popular as changing eject leds now), i recommend being extremely cautious to not harm the orange ribbon that connects to the screen... its very flimsy and any damage reneres the other compents completely useless...

#5 altec

altec

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:my bros xbox<br>http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=286105<br>
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:44 AM

thank you thank you thank you
ps,can you run the lcd and your tv at the same time?

#6 sapper

sapper

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:47 AM

good point i forgot to mention that. If you take things slowly and are carefull you shouldnt have any problems. I personally covered the screen than taped the screen to the circuit board it's attached to. This prevented any problems. When im ready to mount it im planning on covering the entire circuit board and the ribbon in silicon to give it some strength in the cable and prevent the contacts from causing a short.

#7 sapper

sapper

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:49 AM

yep, t.v. runs at the same time. Unless you add a toggle on the LCD to turn it off, the screen on the lcd will be on when ever your xbox is on.

Edited by sapper, 14 October 2004 - 09:51 AM.

#8 altec

altec

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:my bros xbox<br>http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=286105<br>
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:54 AM

cool thanks wink.gif

#9 h8raid

h8raid

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:58 AM

I have been watching this mod for a little while now and have a few questions. I will give some background about what I am attempting to do before I ask questions though. I am going to be modding my box to have EVERY type of audio and video outputs possible hardwired, and through a custom Xir chip GreenGiant is working on for me, I can decide what output is used at bootup. Basically what I want to know is how this mod works as far as compatibility with what outputs you are using. Can I use any audio and video output I want with this mod at the same time? Does this mod limit your possible hardwired outputs or cause any problems associated with the output mods? Just trying to get all of my facts together before I attempt anything here because I do not want to jeopardize several other mods just to implement one that serves no real purpose other than to be flashy and cool. Well, I guess it could serve a purposed, but for my uses, it would just be a flashy mod. I know a similar question was just answered, but I need the details.

Regards,
-H8raid

Edited by h8raid, 14 October 2004 - 09:59 AM.

#10 meddigo

meddigo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:00 AM

Absolutly excellent, thanks alot. I'm intending to do this, waiting for my screen to get shipped over from the US atm. Duno when its going to come though dry.gif

Thanks once again,

Meddigo "Fire Crotch" Flame

#11 sapper

sapper

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:19 AM

H8raid: I wish i could answer your questions but i cant. I would recommend asking cueball13 or Forta-Kon about that. They seem to me to be some of the few people that could answer those questions.

This mod is only on my box to be flashy and cool to be honest. The only output i'll be using is standard xbox a/v cables so i never bothered to research the rest. If i find something out i'll PM you.

Edited by sapper, 14 October 2004 - 10:26 AM.

#12 h8raid

h8raid

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:41 AM

Sapper, sadly enough I am actually glad to hear that response in a way. Mainly because I know there have been several similar questions, and there are lots of answers, but none seemed to quite address my situation so at least it's good to know I didn't just overlook something when I was searching it. Excellent tut by the way, I am hoping to get some positive answers regarding my question so I will be able to go ahead and implement this mod into my box. Thanks for the prompt response.

#13 investinwaffles

investinwaffles

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding, Computer modding, paintballing, and last, racing my mustang (well my dads at least)!

Posted 14 October 2004 - 11:02 AM

BRAVO SAPPER!!! BRAVO

ive been trying to make a tut for this, but have been too lazy to do so.

U shoud get the mods to pin it in the faqs and tuts guide on top!! laugh.gif

#14 sapper

sapper

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 03:09 PM

I sent brahm2 a PM to check this thread out and see if he wanted to add it to the hardware/ case modding FAQ.

#15 ahoatam

ahoatam

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Xecuter 2.3<br />80 Gb HDD<br />XBMC Dash<br />JP1 remote<br />12V 80mm Fan<br />Internal auto-switching DVD
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:52 PM

to anyone thinking of trying this, and there have been fucking shed-loads in the past few months (its almost as popular as changing eject leds now), i recommend being extremely cautious to not harm the orange ribbon that connects to the screen... its very flimsy and any damage reneres the other compents completely useless...

Someone recommended that you put silicon on all the places that the ribbon cables meet the PCBs. Apparently it really strengthens it and prevents tearing. You should add that people should do this as soon as they open their screens, or they might have a useless screen on their hands.

Also maybe explain a little more about the audio connections. Like, how to add a switch to deactivate the video jumper in case you want to plug in component cables in the hi-def AV pack (you can't use component/hi-def and composite/hip screen at the same time).

You are off to a great start, but I think adding a little more can make your tut the one-stop for all the answers people want! smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users