yaazz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 October 2004 - 01:16 AM

I am in the market for a wicked HDTV (and maybe surround sound)
my budget is around $2000 canadian
If you were gonna buy a *HD*tv (no more crappy 480i for me) for this price, what would you get? (money left over for surround sound is a definite bonus)

#2 hockeyguy

hockeyguy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 18 October 2004 - 04:27 PM

How big of a tv are you looking for? You wont be able to get anything "wicked" for 2k, or less, although there are many RPTV HD ready tvs in that range. THe latest and greatest are running a tad bit more than that.

You can get standard older technology for about 1.5k for around 50" of hi def ready rear projection TV. You need to read some reviews online. I think some of hitachis are relatively good, as are a few of the sonys. i have a mitsubishi RPTV, that I am pleased with as well. Not all models of the same make are good though.

Cnet RPTV ranked by score

this link will give you an idea of what you are dealing with.

Also, be prepared to upgrade cords... and they will try to sell you a warrantee. 1500 approaches 2000 very very quickly.

#3 poiygon

poiygon

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 18 October 2004 - 05:27 PM

If 2k is your budget, Rear Projection is the way to go. Look for a local reseller that has a good extended warranty plan. I bought my 51" Sony KD51WS510 for $1400usd + tax and added on the extended warranty plan for $275usd. This store's extended warranty plan covered at home maintenance for 5 years. If I called it in over 3 times, they'll replace the TV with a new one. The sales guy suggested that I just call it in once a year for adjustments and cleaning. I was lucky enough to get it while Sony was doing a promotion where you get a $200 mail-in rebate when you purchase a TV and a HTS. So, I picked up a Dream Machine to go with it. I've been extremely happy with this setup since day one. I don't know what the exchange rate is there, but I'm sure you can find something. The only drawback to a rear projection is its depth. My 51" is 28" deep.

#4 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 18 October 2004 - 10:21 PM

Check out Hitachi 57" in that price.

#5 marymary

marymary

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 07:28 AM

I suggest you save some more money. We bought a cheaper sony hdtv and it crapped out three times with the convergence board. Replaced it under best buys extended warranty and bought a LG DLP and we love it. The sony rear projection had a narrow viewing area and a really poor picture in digital tv. HD programming was ok, but nothing compared to the DLP. When shopping for hdtv be sure to look at the number and types of connections..ie s video plugs, composite, dvi inputs etc. Our LG even has a standard video monitor connection so it can hook directly to the computer. Many models didn't have enough connections for our stuff. I really like a DLP picture compared to the rear projections. Pioneer makes a very nice rear projection but is very expensive.

Mary

#6 eugenile

eugenile

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 08:32 AM

get DLP.. if your going to get projection.. its suppose to be on top as far as quality compared to lcd/plasma.. and the best of all affordability.. no screen burns and can display deep blacks and colors.. make sure its 16:9 widescreen.. not worth it if not.. IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users