19 replies to this topic

#1 sonic834

sonic834

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 04:38 AM

Hey guys, every time I see someone needs to remove paint, people tell them to use Turpentine or sand the whole thing down. Well I've done this to many boxes that Ive fucked up the paint on, and it works wonders. I guess I thought it was always known, so I never mentioned it.

Basically is what you do is you get a bucket of gasoline, then you dip your case in it for about 6-7 minutes (maybe a bit longer), then pull it out, and rub the paint off with your fingers. It's really easy and quick. If the gasoline dries up, just soak it for another couple minutes and go at it again. Then when you're done, just be sure to wash it all off with soap and water, and let it dry for a while.

Hope this helps.

#2 SlimDady

SlimDady

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 04:42 AM

it doesent melt the plastic?

#3 geno2005

geno2005

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 04:56 AM

personally i think it would do somthing to the xbox but ive never done it.

#4 Supplicium

Supplicium

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 October 2004 - 04:59 AM

it might work but im not gunna try laugh.gif

#5 KiemRaekerm

KiemRaekerm

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 19 October 2004 - 05:06 AM

I might try it on my bad controller paint job, but not with gas at these prices. biggrin.gif

#6 -=RepDetect=-

-=RepDetect=-

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 October 2004 - 05:06 AM

Yeah the thing about using that stuff is it will eventually breakdown the plastic,

#7 sonic834

sonic834

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 05:08 AM

no, it doesnt melt the plastic...

well at least if you soak it for less than 15 min (which is way more than you need anyway)

if someone tries it out, I guarantee you they will tell you it worked, i just did it a couple min ago on a botched up controller

#8 AckBoy

AckBoy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 05:10 AM

Why cant you just use Graffitti remover? too weak?

#9 ramos

ramos

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 19 October 2004 - 05:26 AM

I did something similar with my first controller job. I had it red, about a centimeter high of the paint though. It dried fully though, so I had to think of a way to get it off. I believe it was counterterrorist_greg who told me about the gas method. Just dipped parts of it in rubbed off the paint, kept doing it until all the paint was off. Then I made sure to soak it in soapy water with a nice scent, dried it off, and made it white. After the gasoline it turned out amazingly clean, with only a few spots left red (around button holders, on the edges of the top)
Effective way, don't let it sit there though. Do it slowly.

#10 zikronix

zikronix

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 19 October 2004 - 05:36 AM

gas is a bad idea on plastic. Plastic is a petroealum product and so is gas and it can very easly damage the plastic

#11 SlimDady

SlimDady

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 06:29 AM

i tried using nail polish remover to get some of the sticky stuff off from where the stickers used to be on the bottom of the box

it had some weird reaction with the plastic. im not sure if that was a petrolium product or not. it had a weird coloration afterwards

#12 trentdadi

trentdadi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 07:08 AM

I put the xbox in the gasoline and now it frags when I turn it on. I think the gasoline might have shorted out the PSU or worse, it might have ruined my fan! At least its clean though!

A good way to get rid of the gasoline smell is after you take it out of the bucket and before it dries, light a match and touch it with it. It should burn all the gasoline away and leave your case as clean as a whistle.

BTW, i dont think gas is technically a patroleum product since you dont make gas from patrolium but from crude oil.

As for damaging the xbox, how is gasoline going to damage it any more than sanding it down?

#13 zikronix

zikronix

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 19 October 2004 - 07:24 AM

gas is a by product or the refine ment of crude oil. in onther words its the trash the waste from the refinery process. and yes it is a petro product. gas used to be called petro back in the day. if you dont think gas can damage the plasti put gas on a cd case and see what happens. its only a matter of time before the gas damages the plastic sanding is safer simply due to the fact that you can wet sand and it will removeany scratches.

#14 SICKdimension

SICKdimension

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Interests:TO IM ME, STATE YOUR REASON, DON'T JUST SAY "HEY R U THERE?"

Posted 19 October 2004 - 07:41 AM

I'd rather not have my xbox smell like gasoline though. wink.gif Just don't fuck up the paint job.

#15 ferrari_rulz_02

ferrari_rulz_02

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,395 posts
  • Interests:my girfriend, then the xbox<br />and yes, it is in that order
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 19 October 2004 - 09:04 AM

it would be far easier justr to not fuck up ur paint job in the first place.

btw, does mineral turps mangle the plastic? coz i want to remove the pain off teh jewel, and me dads got a 44gal drum of turps. i was just going to dampen a rag and wipe at the green paint. i stillw ant teh silver writing on it. so would turps react with teh plastic on teh jewel?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users