8 replies to this topic

#1 Kick In Da Door

Kick In Da Door

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 10:46 PM

Is possible to back up a game to xbox hardrive without using DVD2XBOX program, i thought my Xbox was broken but from reading many forums , i found out that the thompson dvd drives which i have are seriously flawed, even with scratch free game disks the xbox would give me the dirty disk error more than half the time, now with the dvd2xbox program it cant even recognize the game most of the time and when it does it displays different sizes of the game when loaded each time, and at the end of the copying it awlays says file cant be copied error or something of this sort. In the Previous version of the dvd2xbox program when i get this error i was able to click "a" to retry those files but in newest version it wont let me do this , seems like the whol exbox freezes unless i eject the disk. Also in the previous version when i did retry the files when trying to play the game off the hardrive "Need For Speed Underground" the game would freeze every time when it tries to load into the races.

So Any other way of getting around this?

Edited by Kick In Da Door, 23 October 2004 - 11:08 PM.

#2 Tamim95

Tamim95

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE (Kick In Da Door @ Oct 23 2004, 11:49 PM)
Is possible to back up a game to xbox hardrive without using DVD2XBOX program, i thought my Xbox was broken but from reading many forums , i found out that the thompson dvd drives which i have are seriously flawed, even with scratch free game disks the xbox would give me the dirty disk error more than half the time, now with the dvd2xbox program it cant even recognize the game most of the time and when it does it displays different sizes of the game when loaded each time, and at the end of the copying it awlays says file cant be copied error or something of this sort. In the Previous version of the dvd2xbox program when i get this error i was able to click "a" to retry those files but in newest version it wont let me do this , seems like the whol exbox freezes unless i eject the disk. Also in the previous version when i did retry the files when trying to play the game off the hardrive "Need For Speed Underground" the game would freeze every time when it tries to load into the races.

So Any other way of getting around this?

My xbox:
Evolution X
1.0 Xbox with Philips drive
----------------------------------------

What I do is, connect my xbox with the pc and use flash fxp to transfer files. Now, if you used dvd2xbox, your files would be in e:\games right? What I found out was that you can transfer files directly from your dvd drive to PC. So juse go to D\ and transfer everything from there to your hdd.

#3 Kick In Da Door

Kick In Da Door

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 02:14 AM

again u said to use the xbox dvd drive to copy files to the pc using flashxp, the thing is the dvd player is no good , it cant even recognize the game most of the time, and this is with a official cd not any type of backup or anything like that.
i tried what u said flashxp doesnt pickup on anything in the d: drive.

#4 Kick In Da Door

Kick In Da Door

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 03:51 AM

I Rebooted and tried ur way again, it copied everything flawlessly it seems , game started up nicley but when it loads to go into the races it just stays at that screen. maybe its a game problem? any clue?

The Game Is Need For Speed Underground

Thanx By the way for quick reply and alternative route.

#5 jonnyschultze

jonnyschultze

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 06:13 AM

do you have problems when playing games off of disc? (for example, choppy audio or video, extremely long loading times, etc)

I have a v1.0 with the Thompson drive - I had to replace the laser once, but I had the symptoms I listed above. If you don't have these symptoms, chances are that your DVD drive is just fine.

A lot of people bitch and moan about the Thompson, and half the reason is that it doesn't play CD-R and a lot of DVD+R, and the lasers tend to die earlier than the other Xbox drives. My drive plays every DVD-R I've thrown at it, and Fuji DVD-RW without a problem, which is just fine for my needs. If you suspect the laser, pick one up off ebay, they are really cheap nowdays.

I've never got into DVD2XBOX much, it's always given me errors. I just use XBCOPY - it's old, it's simple, it doesn't patch or delete files, all it does is transfers the game to my games folder and does it well. (You don't need that xbe patching too much anymore because all the newer bioses have media check built in) Not to talk down DVD2XBOX - lot of people use it, and love it, but it just seemed (in my opinion) like it had too much BS built in to it bringing down the reliability factor.

#6 Kick In Da Door

Kick In Da Door

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 04:54 PM

I have the same symptons before and after modded the box, with only Official Game disks no bakcup or burned disks
i will take a look on ebay thanks.

#7 WiSo

WiSo

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 October 2004 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (jonnyschultze @ Oct 24 2004, 07:16 AM)
Not to talk down DVD2XBOX - lot of people use it, and love it, but it just seemed (in my opinion) like it had too much BS built in to it bringing down the reliability factor.

Indeed a lot of things changed from xbcopy but the copy stuff is almost the same as there is nothing to change.

Sorry that the retry copy is gone. I'll fix it in the next version.

And again: the copy code hasn't changed much but dvd2xbox reports what other tools skip.

#8 jonnyschultze

jonnyschultze

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 10:08 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...8141126848&rd=1

Here's the same guy I bought my laser from over a year ago (except it's about $15 bucks cheaper!) Nevertheless, i recommend. Its easy to replace.

WiSo - I have no intents of anyway insulting you or your program - I should give your program a shot again - the idea of copying to Samba raises my brow!

#9 WiSo

WiSo

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (jonnyschultze @ Oct 24 2004, 11:11 PM)
WiSo - I have no intents of anyway insulting you or your program - I should give your program a shot again - the idea of copying to Samba raises my brow!

Don't mind but it's sometimes difficult to explain things over and over again :-)
Another thing is that I'm only one people who develops dvd2xbox and test it and the latter one is sometimes missed out.
Therefore I depend on the community to report the bugs detailed to me which helps me to fix it.
Recently I got a second box with phillips drive which gives me the possibility to make the next tests on sammy and phillips. But the thomson is still missed out sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users