7 replies to this topic

#1 HomerJ

HomerJ

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 09:18 PM

Anybody has a good imagination and can tell me how I could reprogram an Xbox's eeprom gone bad(not flash)?

I have the .bin backup, but the problem is the Xbox won't boot without the eeprom. Anybody knows of a simple programmer I could build for the eeprom? It's a 24C02N if I'm not mistaken.

Regards,
HomerJ

#2 HomerJ

HomerJ

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 12:38 AM

Well nobody replied, either because you guys didn't care, or simply didn't know.

I searched around a bit and found PonyProg, which is a software used to program chips and such. I built a very simple circuit and was able to reflash my eeprom with a valid .bin image. My xbox is now alive once more.

This all started way back when I tried to flash my onboard bios and something went wrong. Nothing I tried would get it to work again, including booting with a complete bios replacement. I suspected something else was fishy so started looking at the eeprom. Initial tests showed I couldn't read anything off it or write to it. I just yanked the bastard out and reinstalled a new one after flashing it with a new eeprom image.

From what I've read I'm the only 'unlucky' SOB to have experienced this.

#3 ExOrCizT

ExOrCizT

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 12:55 AM

i thought u can flash it wit a matrix chip

#4 HomerJ

HomerJ

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 01:12 AM

I've not tried this but the xbox won't boot without a valid eeprom afaik. (i'm talking about the eeprom, not the tssop that contains the bios). You could be right. I already had an enigmah, xecuter, xecuter2 lite, didn't want to shell out for a matrix on top of it! ;-)

#5 dadragon

dadragon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 26 February 2003 - 08:34 PM

Nope your not alone:( I too have managed to screw my eeprom up, now I'm left with a blank screen.
I have various chip programming hardware (from the sat scene) but don't even know where the chip is on the board to try your method, any help would be really welcome right now.
I'm on a v1.1 if this helps.

#6 Scan-C

Scan-C

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 26 February 2003 - 09:03 PM

the new version of config magic can do a blind restore
you burn the image file to disk with config magic on it and put the disc in,then hold a button combination and restart the box.after some seconds the box should start flashing and if it's done the light will stay steady green i think.then turn off and on without disc in drive and it should work

#7 Marmite

Marmite

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 26 February 2003 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (Scan-C @ Feb 26 2003, 10:03 PM)
the new version of config magic can do a blind restore
you burn the image file to disk with config magic on it and put the disc in,then hold a button combination and restart the box.after some seconds the box should start flashing and if it's done the light will stay steady green i think.then turn off and on without disc in drive and it should work

yeah, but the box won't even boot with a bad eeprom. You need to build a programmer.

#8 dadragon

dadragon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 27 February 2003 - 04:07 PM

You can boot ok as evox works, even though I cannot see the screen to see this for sure I can still confirm this through the ftp function.

Getting back though I have noticed that you can do a blind restore, with configmagic although I can't find the key sequence anywhere - does anyone know this?

That said I'm sure configmagic does not yet support a Xbox V1.1 - I'll just have to hang on till then I guess - or program the eeprom directly with a programmer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users