23 replies to this topic

#1 sumotherdude

sumotherdude

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 05:59 AM

OK, I got my X2 Lite installed with no probs (thanks to all the reading I've here..thanks you guys).

Anyways, I burned the Slayer install disc which boots up just fine. My one problem is that I get an IP address of 0.0.0.0 and obviously can't connect. I've tried everything in the the install NFO without success. I just got thru modding the main evox ini file to indicate a new IP but I still can't connect. I really need to back up the drive before I start messing around with it. smile.gif

Any ideas? It's connected via a hub and my PC is running DHCP - the 6 other PCs in my home and business have no problems getting an IP. I've verified that the cable is good and that the port is OK. I can't even ping the address. There has to be something simple I'm over looking.

--Update--

I set it to Static IP in the evox.ini file and now the IP says 192.168.0.70, which means it should be on my network but I still can't FTP to it. Any help?

Thanks,

sumotherdude

Edited by sumotherdude, 07 February 2003 - 06:55 AM.

#2 archon76

archon76

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 08:40 AM

So the machine originally did not get an IP from your DHCP server? Thats really not a good sign.

If you have an uplink on your hub that indicates connection and Evox is reporting an IP that is in the same subnet as your machine it should be ok.

Do you have a firewall running on your PC. You may need to set a rule to allow it to connect to the XBOX address.

What is your PC's IP address? Have you tried to ping or FTP from another machine on your network?

#3 syclone

syclone

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 12:38 PM

go to your setting network connections on you computer click on internet prtocol tci/ip then click on properties force ip address to 192.168.0.1 mask of 255.255.255.0 them go to you xbox setting in evox, set you static ip on YES then type you static ip address of 192.186.0.2 then reset you xbox then it should work.... jester.gif

Syclone..

If not reply and tell me what happens

#4 archon76

archon76

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (syclone @ Feb 7 2003, 12:38 PM)
go to your setting network connections on you computer click on internet prtocol tci/ip then click on properties force ip address to 192.168.0.1 mask of 255.255.255.0 them go to you xbox setting in evox, set you static ip on YES then type you static ip address of 192.186.0.2 then reset you xbox then it should work.... jester.gif

Syclone..

If not reply and tell me what happens

The guy is running a small network of computers. The rest of his machine are communicating fine.

These machines are used for bussiness as well. What if he has a router that is using NAT and has port forwards set up. And one of the port forwarders is pointing to the machine you just told him to change the IP on. He is also using DHCP so the IP you recommended could be in use already.

I mean no offense on this. But when people are using there machines for more than just home use a little bit of caution goes a long way.

#5 sumotherdude

sumotherdude

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm beginning to think that the NIC in my X-Box might be dead. Which sucks...I should be able to at least ping the IP and that's a no go. smile.gif

So far I've completely disabled my firewall, swapped ports, made a new cable, etc. I was trying to stay away from changing my IP configuration as my other PCs rely on this one for various services including DHCP, mail, etc. But I'm gonna try that today. I'm also gonna break out the ole crossover cable and see what I can make happen.

I was surprised to see the IP on the X-Box as 0.0.0.0 because I was sure DHCP would hand it an address. I have link lights on the back on the back of my X-Box so I'm hoping that it's OK. I'm going to try the suggestions as you guys advised and will get back to you.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

sumotherdude

Edited by sumotherdude, 07 February 2003 - 02:21 PM.

#6 smokeingit

smokeingit

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 February 2003 - 02:57 PM

make sure your computer and your xbox are on the same subnet! very importent. also make sure the ip's are close range. not computer .1 and xbox .200 that will screw you up. its not part of the fourmula if any of you think im wrong go to this site to see the fourmla here ya go

#7 archon76

archon76

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (smokeingit @ Feb 7 2003, 02:57 PM)
make sure your computer and your xbox are on the same subnet! very importent. also make sure the ip's are close range. not computer .1 and xbox .200 that will screw you up. its not part of the fourmula if any of you think im wrong go to this site to see the fourmla here ya go

If he is using a standard class C subnet his usable nodes is 254. In a standard class A,B,C IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW FAR APART THE LAST OCTET NUMBERS ARE as long as they are not
0 or 255. In this example (Class C)the nodes/Hosts numbers are listed as xxx 192.168.1.xxx How do you think all the nodes can communicate if a lower number IP can not transmit to a higher number IP that theory does not make any sence in a standard class C.

Class A will give you 126 Networks and 16,777,214 hosts/nodes
Class B will give you 16,384 Networks and 65,534 hosts/nodes
Class C will give you 2,097,152 networks and 254 hosts/nodes

Once you have supernetted or subnetted your IP's they become classless IP's. In subnetting it does matter how far the range of IP's can go.

Subnetting is useful when you have a cetain range of IP's and you want to create individual networks based on these IP's. ISP's do this when distrubuting static IP blocks to customers. This is also useful when you have a large network and you want to cut down on broadcasts to save bandwidth

Super-netting is combining multiple IP ranges to act as one for example 192.168.0.xxx thru 192.168.3.xxx would use a subnet mask of 255.255.252.000 in binary 11111111.11111111.11111100.00000000.

It sounds like he does understand the basics of networking. I don't think the subnet is really his problem.

Thats is a nice calculator tool thanks for the link that could save me some time at a clients site.

Edited by archon76, 07 February 2003 - 06:18 PM.

#8 sumotherdude

sumotherdude

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for the great advice. I don't know everything about networking but I do OK. So here's what I've so far:

-Made a new crossover cable - verified that it's working.
-Connected the X-Box directly to my laptop. The laptop recogizes when the X-Box i powered down or reboooting (shows LAN cable disconnected). I put the laptop on 192.168.0.1 and the X-Box on 192.168.0.2 with subnets on both of 255.255.255.0.

The Settings/Info screen looks like this:

Network
Type: Static
IP: 192.168.0.70 (burning new copy of slayer with modded evox file, new IP)
LineStatus: 100/Full Duplex (does this indicates that the X-Box NIC is functioning?)
Ethernet MAC Address: MAC address is entered here
Setup Network: Yes
Use Static IP: Yes
IP: 192.168.0.70 (burning new Slayer image to try the new IP)
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.69
DNS: 0.0.0.0
DNS: 0.0.0.0

Perhaps this might help somone show me what I'm overlooking. Geez and I thought installing the chip was going to be the hard part. smile.gif

I'll post my results here after I try the new Slayer CD.

Thanks again,

sumotherdude

#9 sumotherdude

sumotherdude

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 07:20 PM

Interesting. Still can't ping the X-Box.

I am correct in just booting up the Slayer CD, right? I should be able to establish a connection then? From all the information I've read this appears to be correct.

The connection status on my laptop shows:

Duration: 00:05:25
Speed: 100 Mbps
Bytes Sent: 11,060
Bytes Received: 0

At this point I'm open to anything. uhh.gif

sumotherdude

Edited by sumotherdude, 07 February 2003 - 09:33 PM.

#10 archon76

archon76

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (sumotherdude @ Feb 7 2003, 07:20 PM)
Interesting. Still can't ping the X-Box.

I am correct in just booting up the Slayer CD, right? I should be able to establish a connection then? From all the information I've read this appears to be correct.

At this point I'm open to anything. smile.gif

sumotherdude

You really do not need the gateway. But it should not be stopping the connectivity.

Here is another thought. Do you have XBOX live updater installed? If so try this. This next step is very important. First make sure your XBOX can not get out on the internet. Run the XBOX live launcher.

At a DOS prompt window on your PC type ping <IP of XBOX> -t the -t option means you PC keeps trying.

You should get a error on LIVE saying a network connection could not be created. Hit OK the connection screen should come up go over to the setting (middle tab) then go to IP address set the configuration for manual and enter the IP you want.

After this is set go back twice this should put you back on the connection status screen. After the status has checks the IP settings configured your PC which is doing a consistant ping should be getting replys. I just tested it. At least is another test.

#11 sumotherdude

sumotherdude

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 09:40 PM

Thanks again, X-Box Live has not been installed. It's almost like the NIC is bad (although when the network cable is not connected to the box, it says "No Link!" and when it's connected it says "100/Full Duplex" I should at least be able to ping the crazy thing, especially with the simplified set up using the cross over cable.

I will make this thing work, it's become an obsession. hehe

sumotherdude

#12 archon76

archon76

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (sumotherdude @ Feb 7 2003, 09:40 PM)
Thanks again, X-Box Live has not been installed. It's almost like the NIC is bad (although when the network cable is not connected to the box, it says "No Link!" and when it's connected it says "100/Full Duplex" I should at least be able to ping the crazy thing, especially with the simplified set up using the cross over cable.

I will make this thing work, it's become an obsession. hehe

sumotherdude

I have seen bad NICS detect link and speed but can not send packets. I would try installing XBOX LIVE and use it as a test tool.

Just make sure your Dashboard is the MSDashboard. It has to be named XBOXDASH.XBE.

#13 sumotherdude

sumotherdude

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 10:01 PM

Understood. One question, where can I get X-Box Live?

#14 archon76

archon76

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (sumotherdude @ Feb 7 2003, 10:01 PM)
Understood. One question, where can I get X-Box Live?

Some games ship with the updater. Most of the newer games include it.

Should be easy to find.

Check any newer games that you have.

#15 sumotherdude

sumotherdude

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 10:17 PM

I figured it out wher to get X-Box Live.

Anyways, that would suck if my NIC is bad - since I've never used it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users