pennywisdom

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 October 2004 - 09:13 PM

i wanted to get a new fan for my xbox and ive found some lighted ones on ebay which are supposed to run at 12v and still be quieter than the stock one on 20%. does any know if this is truly possible?

my main question though... does the fact that the fan lights up create extra heat itself?

also, what is a good type of fan to get (lighted or not)? ive read some posts about fans people have tried but some claim them to be good, others claim the same ones to be too loud or not cool enough.

i just need something cooler than my stock fan, but most importantly, quieter.

thanks.

#2 CrystalXBOX

CrystalXBOX

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Arcade Games, Computers, Cars.
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 October 2004 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (pennywisdom @ Oct 25 2004, 10:16 PM)
i wanted to get a new fan for my xbox and ive found some lighted ones on ebay which are supposed to run at 12v and still be quieter than the stock one on 20%. does any know if this is truly possible?

my main question though... does the fact that the fan lights up create extra heat itself?

also, what is a good type of fan to get (lighted or not)? ive read some posts about fans people have tried but some claim them to be good, others claim the same ones to be too loud or not cool enough.

i just need something cooler than my stock fan, but most importantly, quieter.

thanks.

The first thing that anyone will tell you is that led's don't produce any heat and it will *not* raise the temp in your xbox at all. The idea is to get better cooling. Also, from what I understand it's 7 volts or what not that comes from the xbox connector. I simply made a connector and installed an aftermarket led antec fan into my box and hooked it straight to the 12 volt supply. However, don't be fooled. It's not as simple as "swapping" out. I had to make substantial modification to the hard drive caddy and cut the two tabs off the bottom of the xbox case. And don't forget cutting up the fan itself around it's edges. I notice no increase in sound which I don't know how you would hear anyways, but.. I can feel air slightly pushing out the back which compared to the stock fan, I can not. Each his own. I pulled a lighted Antec from my PC case and it's been in my xbox since, no problems and it does look good. But again, it wasn't just a "swap" and I probably could of lived without going through the drama, but then again it is a larger fan and it's running at a full 12 volts, so i'm happy. Hope that helps.

#3 pennywisdom

pennywisdom

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (CrystalXBOX @ Oct 25 2004, 05:11 PM)
The first thing that anyone will tell you is that led's don't produce any heat and it will *not* raise the temp in your xbox at all. The idea is to get better cooling. Also, from what I understand it's 7 volts or what not that comes from the xbox connector. I simply made a connector and installed an aftermarket led antec fan into my box and hooked it straight to the 12 volt supply. However, don't be fooled. It's not as simple as "swapping" out. I had to make substantial modification to the hard drive caddy and cut the two tabs off the bottom of the xbox case. And don't forget cutting up the fan itself around it's edges. I notice no increase in sound which I don't know how you would hear anyways, but.. I can feel air slightly pushing out the back which compared to the stock fan, I can not. Each his own. I pulled a lighted Antec from my PC case and it's been in my xbox since, no problems and it does look good. But again, it wasn't just a "swap" and I probably could of lived without going through the drama, but then again it is a larger fan and it's running at a full 12 volts, so i'm happy. Hope that helps.

heres the deal. the fan comes with a hdd power splitter which makes it automatically 12v. the one im thinking of also comes pre-cut to fit, only the hdd tray needs to be re-sized (mine already is).

i already know how to put the fan in, but i appreciate you responding on the leds though.

one last question... is 28 decibles loud for the fan?

#4 CrystalXBOX

CrystalXBOX

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Arcade Games, Computers, Cars.
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 October 2004 - 04:03 AM

Where did you get a pre-cut fan? Also, 28 db is fine. I have seen some fans that claim to run in "quiet mode" and are 20db and 34db in regular mode. Your somewheres in the middle. beerchug.gif

#5 pennywisdom

pennywisdom

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:47 AM

heres the link my friend:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/w...me=STRK:MEWN:IT

theres is a whole ton of these fans by the same seller. biggrin.gif