• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 zabolyx

zabolyx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 03:59 AM

so I've searched on here for quite a few different items..... but can't seen to finde everything I need to know... so i'll ask them all here and hope that this will help some one else as well...

1. Can the Xbox read CDRWs without a modchip?

2. Can I install games to a HDD without using the Swap drive method?

3. Can I put evox on the drive and dual boot? (is this the audio exploit?)

4. We want to place a larger HD in the system. Can this be done without a modchip?

4a. And without the swap method?

Have yet to find out what version it is... I'll check and EDIT post.

#2 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 26 October 2004 - 04:14 AM

1) Yes, but only music CD-RWs, like for making custom soundtracks. It can READ them just fine, but without a modchip it won’t run any unsigned code (re: alternate dashboards, apps, emus, etc)

2) Yes, but not many. You’ll only have about 4.8 gigs or so to play around with.

3) Not sure what your trying to ask… I only use chips.

4) Yes, if you use a softmod in place of a chip.

4a) ??? You mean have two hard drives, one retail and one larger drive? You CAN but that’s beyond you at this point trust me (as you need somewhat extensive hardware mods and cables, etc.

That’s all I got until you reply… wink.gif

Edited by Xombe, 26 October 2004 - 04:16 AM.

#3 zabolyx

zabolyx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 04:38 AM

ok....

by the swap method I meant starting up the drive in the Xbox and swaping IDE with PC.... sounds a bit dangerous to me...

on one post I saw something about having the MS dashboard and booting the Evox for things.... This is not what I'm shooting for though.... unless I need to....

my friend is wanting to buy a second Xbox for LAN parties.... but doesn't want to have to buy a second copy of his LAN capable games to play... he wants to install a copy of the game and play between the two systems.... (we plan on having an 8 player game of a certain game that releases on Nov 9th and don't want to shell out $100 bucks for just the game.... we also are renting a second big screen to play on... man the rental place will be pissed)

so what exactly can I do for him without a modchip... and what features will this give him....

we'd like to be able to run games from the HDD and emulators.... he's stoked about beingable to play some good old SNES games.... (Top gear 2000, KI, F-Zero.... ah nostalgia).

#4 zabolyx

zabolyx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 08:32 PM

OK he has the newest version.... he bought it new two weeks ago... that would be a version 1.7 right....

so how exactlly do I go about softmodding the sysem without screwing things up... if it was my system I'd have no problems with a few risks.... but it's not.

#5 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 01:50 AM

!.7? I don't believe they exist yet. I think you mean 1.6.

And, okay I understand about the HD swap method. I though you were referring to replacing/installing an updgraded drive (with the power off and all, that's easy).

If you want to run games, emus, ANYTHING from the HDD you'll have to have a non-MS Dash, and Evox is gerenally the best way to start. It's pretty easy to install, and it allowes for FTP access, which is essential to installing emus, app, etc.

You talked about renting to play mutliplater. That's okay.

Just don't cross the line and try to backup a rented copy of a game (re: you don't own it), cause that'll get you banned. And good luck trying to FIND a copy of Halo 2 for rental (you'd better get up really early in the morning...!)
so what exactly can I do for him without a modchip... and what features will this give him....
If you softmod it properly, basically all the features of a modchip (re: you'll have a hacked BIOS that'll run emus, etc), but not the safety of a chip. You can always reflash\reprogram a chip if you fuck up the BIOS.

On a softmod, well, just pray you make no mistakes when you do it (because you're essentially overwriting the xbox's onboard bios chip, and if that gets knackered, you box mostly likely won't even boot at all).

This is where I step out... Like I said, I'm a chip man, and have never/won't touch softmods (although many people do it without problems, I just prefer the safety and added features (like native FTP on the modchip) of the newest, 4th gen modchips.

#6 homelesschicken

homelesschicken

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 October 2004 - 02:20 AM

Softmodding is the way to go...

1. u don't void out your warranty by opening it up.
2. if u do need to get the xbox serviced, just restore the hdd to factory settings.
3. even the 1.6's can be soft modded.

#7 zabolyx

zabolyx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 03:54 AM

First off thnx 1.0e6 for working with me on this Xombe

yeah we'ew buying a copy of H2 and putting a copy on the drive... so we can play 8.... I don't consider that as piracy... and we have no prob with it...

OK it be a version 1.6 and I'd like to know the easiest way to install an 80 HDD for coping games to ..... would like to keep original 10Gb HDD intact for use in Xbox if needed....

which method would be better.... EvoX or Linux?

and how should I go about doing this....

I took a week learning the PS2 methods before trying it myself... and think patients as being key in my sucess.... NOTE: I don't have access to my friends Xbox at all times... so responses may take a while.... hope no more than a day... if I need to findout something to proceed...

Edited by zabolyx, 27 October 2004 - 03:58 AM.

#8 bLaXe

bLaXe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 04:02 AM

RE: (homelesshicken) 1. you do if you want a larger hdd, and if you're talking about launching game backups (from the hdd obviously) then you're realistically going to need one.

Like Xombe I've never touched softmods. I like the idea of having a 'backup' BIOS bank to fall back on should it all go pear shaped...
Also, considering the risks involved in a softmod, I believe that a mod-chip is a much 'safer' option - although I would keep away from soldering yourself (get someone experienced to do the work for you) unless you feel confident doing it yourself. (I've had to resuce one too many people from bad soldering).

Edited by bLaXe, 27 October 2004 - 04:06 AM.

#9 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • 17,741 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 27 October 2004 - 04:51 AM

QUOTE (homelesschicken @ Oct 26 2004, 08:23 PM)
Softmodding is the way to go...

1. u don't void out your warranty by opening it up.
2. if u do need to get the xbox serviced, just restore the hdd to factory settings.
3. even the 1.6's can be soft modded.

technically modifying the code in any way voids the warranty, and some things you cant just "restore to factory" like if you accidently unlock your HD and cant lock it again

#10 zabolyx

zabolyx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 06:56 AM

Anyone that could help with this would be wonderful.... Like I said myfriend doesn't want to chip the system...

#11 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 07:02 AM

Go to the Exploits forum and read some tutorials.

Or do a search for “softmod” in the forum within the last seven days. Someone posted a link to a great start-up guide.

You can track it down with a bit of searching. wink.gif

[size]But, really, you need to convince this friend that chipping is a hell of a lot safer than softmodding (in most cases), and a simple softmod won’t protect your warranty or anything as Lord Vader stated. So why is he so against it? Cost?[/size]

Edited by Xombe, 29 October 2004 - 07:03 AM.

#12 zabolyx

zabolyx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 04:53 PM

thanks...

He's cheap....

I've have been trying the chip idea with him... are there any no solder mods for the Xbox that will allow use of a larger HD and stroig games on it...

Edited by zabolyx, 29 October 2004 - 05:25 PM.

#13 awal

awal

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • Interests:XBOX
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 October 2004 - 05:12 PM

read up one UDE , UDE2, and UXE they are very easy to install. And read up/ use ltools to install the exploit. All you have to do is answer 5 questions, and you can install a bigger hdd and that is a little harder, but not much

oh and it is safe. Mainly because ltools installs it for you, taking away human error laugh.gif
i have modded like 8 xbox's this way and none have messed up. Well mine was messed up for a while until i used ltools. There is almost nothing that a softmod can mess up that you cant fix.

Edited by awal, 29 October 2004 - 05:15 PM.

#14 Big_L

Big_L

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 29 October 2004 - 06:06 PM

there are no solderless chips for a 1.6 xbox. however, I would make SURE your friend has a 1.6. There are still older models floating around on store shelves like wal-mart or places like that. I bought a 1.4 brand new at wal mart a few weeks ago. And you can get solderless chips/adapters for those if you really want, although the general idea around here is that soldering is definately the way to go, and I would have to strongly agree. good luck.

#15 zabolyx

zabolyx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 04:37 AM

OK.. so I'm printing out everything that IDOT has on here... he seems like the man with the plan.... so i'll spend some time reading up on his work and talk it over with my friend.. He's in nebraska to see the Mizzou game....

And I'll check to see what version he has... the version guide on here is up-to-date, yes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users