Photo

Box Freezes, No Mods +my Introduction...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 playboycougar

playboycougar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Neo Geo, SF3:TS, Modded Boxes, Linux, Apple, iPod
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 28 October 2004 - 05:20 AM

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself first before I go off asking questions. I'm playboycougar, PBC for short, and am a long time member of neo-geo.com. I'm not new to forums and have been into Neo Geo gaming for quite sometime. I'm a big Street Fighter 3 fan and play it religiously; hence why I bought an xbox (SF:Aniv.).

I bought a refurbished xbox from my local gamestop and every thing's been not soo great. During long extended pauses, upon my return to play the game, it freezes. I'm quite familiar with PC gaming, and this looks like the result of overheating. Before I go about ripping apart the innards of the box and putting in a higher speed fan, I wanted everyone's inupt on what I should do. I'm under the impression that I have a 90-day warranty on the xbox, and plan to call the 1-800 number tomorrow. Are they helpful at all? Do I have a shot at getting this repaired for free? Should I go about this myself? Add a new fan?

Thank you in advance. Hope to talk to you all more often.

-PBC pop.gif

#2 SpudGunMan

SpudGunMan

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts
  • Interests:mexico water, how when you touch a girl you get sweaty, costco hot dogs, proper first aid
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 October 2004 - 08:37 AM

this is a VERY common complaint with refurbs... if you can return it and buy one from ebay or buy a used one. the problem is that they were sent to msft for this problem

msft takes the heat sync off regreases it and puts it back on then sells it again

even with a larger fan you might not get performance out of it that you woudl want.

#3 playboycougar

playboycougar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Neo Geo, SF3:TS, Modded Boxes, Linux, Apple, iPod
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 28 October 2004 - 01:19 PM

Wonderful. Unfortunatly when I bought it the salesman told me that I did not have a warrenty with GameStop, but with MS for 90-days. I can't imagine the fun this is going to be. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep you all updated on how it's going, maybe this can deter others from getting a refurb.

-PBC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users