7 replies to this topic

#1 ScoobyD

ScoobyD

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 10:50 AM

I installed an XENIUM Ice chip (solderless method) in my box the other day and everything seemed to go fine. I replaced the HDD loaded a BIOS up some emulators via ftp and it was all working great.

The next day when I booted my box it turned on fine, but there was no picture on my screen (just a solid green light on the box no FRAG). I checked all the cables and rebooted, after a couple of tries I got the default dash to load and it asked me to set the clock. After I'd done this I rebooted and it loaded up the XENIUM OS fine.

Later on that day I thought I'd update the OS (my chip was supplied with version 2 beta). I ftp'd the update file to my e drive and tried the update but it couldn't seem to find the file. No problem I thought I'll burn a CD, popped the disc in the drive and the update worked and I rebooted my box and went back to playing with MAME.

When I turned on my box this morning it booted to the MS dash and asked me to set the clock again. I did this and rebooted and it went into the 2 reboot FRAG sequence.

After reading some posts here I decided to open my box and check the chip was seated correctly. Everything seemed fine but I reseated the chip, checked the d0 and gave the screw on the solderless adaptor a tighten just to be make sure. Still no luck, same 2 reboots and FRAG as before and the chip LED is showing red. I tried switching the chip to recovery mode, but it made no difference.

I decided to remove the solderless adaptor completely and reinstall it from scratch, still no luck. As a last ditched attempt I switched the chip to recovery mode once more and success! I get the update screen, so I dig out my update CD and reinstall the OS.

Now my box seems to be working OK and I'm happy, but I'm a bit worried. Why does my box keep lossing the clock settings? It's always connected to the mains so surely this shouldn't be a problem? I'm also a bit worried about my chip. Is it defective? I'd be really greatful if anyone could throw some light onto these problems.

#2 _InFeRnO_

_InFeRnO_

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 October 2004 - 12:07 PM

The blue solderless adapter's for the Xenium's suck. I had to wedge a piece of paper underneath by the screw for it to make the proper connection to the LPC.

#3 ScoobyD

ScoobyD

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 12:35 PM

Could all the above just be down to the solderless adaptor then?

#4 _InFeRnO_

_InFeRnO_

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 October 2004 - 12:55 PM

could be, check this post out.

#5 ScoobyD

ScoobyD

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 01:07 PM

Well after reading that thread I'm 99% sure that my chip isn't faulty. It just seems to be a bit odd that my box works fine, but then seems to have problems when it's switched off for any length of time.

It could just have been the solderless adaptor, it was slightly lifted at the front when I originally installed it. I've now managed to get it almost flush with the motherboard. I notice on the Team Xodus site that they have a new version of the solderless adaptor. I might wait and see what the feedback is on that and purchase one if it seems to be a big improvement. I'm too happy about having to shell out another 10, but it will be worth it if it means that I don't have to open up my box reseat everything every couple of days.

In the meantime I think I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope it keeps working. Cheers for the help.

#6 donkey69

donkey69

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 01:08 PM

what version of xbox do you have

#7 ScoobyD

ScoobyD

X-S Young Member

• Members