Connecting To Internet Via Pc ?
Posted 29 October 2004 - 10:40 PM
1. Wireless router connects to ADSL connection. IP address of router is 192.168.0.1. It hands out IPs in the range 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.99
2. PC has wireless PCI card which connects to the above router and gets an IP address of 192.168.0.5
3. Xbox is connected to PCs Network card (built in to MB) via crossover cable. Network adpator on PC has static IP address of 192.168.1.10. Xbox has been setup with static IP address of 192.168.1.11
I can connect to the Xbox via my PC and ftp etc, but cannot get the Xbox on the internet. I have looked at the tutorials and tried using ICS but I am really unsure what I am doing.
Any step by step help would be greatly appreciated. How do I configure ICS ? For which network adaptor ? What should the gateway and DNS on the Xbox be set to ? Etc, etc.
Posted 30 October 2004 - 12:28 PM
If it helps anyone else out and stops them pulling their hair out like me, then here is how I did it. I could probably mess around with it a bit more and tidy it up but its working so I aint touching it.
1. The router was changed so that its own IP was 192.168.1.1 and DHCP was turned off. This seems to be important because later on ICS will try and change your NIC address to 192.168.0.1 so if your router is already on this subnet, it will complain. Changing the router address from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 solves that.
2. The wireless NIC in my PC was set to 192.168.1.2 and gateway of 192.168.1.1
3. The other non-wireless NIC in the PC was set to 192.168.2.1 with no gateway set up
4. I then turned on ICS for the wireless NIC. This changed the IP of the non-wireless NIC to 192.168.0.1
5. I then connected the Xbox with crossover cable to the PC.
6. I then setup the Xbox with IP address of 192.168.0.3, gateway of 192.168.0.1 and DNS of 192.168.1.1
It now works !
I hope sharing my experience helps someone else out. I got their by myself through a day of trial and error but wouldnt wish it on anyone else.
Edit: I have tidied it up a bit and when ICS is not turned on I have set the static IP address of the non-wirless NIC in the PC to 192.168.0.2. This way I can FTP to the Xbox regardless of whether ICS is turned on or not.
Edited by tridion, 30 October 2004 - 12:34 PM.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users