Dangerously_Cheesy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts
  • Interests:What doesn't interest me? :P
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 31 October 2004 - 12:35 AM

I Wrote this guide a few days ago and posted it on Teamxodus' Forums but I thought it'd help out here as well...

Xenium OS and you!

If you are reading this tutorial then you are probably at your wits end trying to upgrade the pre-existing XOS on your chip. No need to worry anymore because in this guide I will present you with several scenerios that will have you up to date in no time!

Upgrading via the Hard drive

Many will argue that this method is the easiest and I would have to agree. To update the XOS via the hdd method follow these instructions:
*Make sure the TSOP and eeprom are backed up before continuing. I am not liable for anything you do beyond this messege.
*NOTE: For Xbox v1.6 owners, you will need to navigate to the Disk tools within the XOS menu and "Unlock" your Hard drive.
1.) Download the XOS 2.01 hdd rar archive and extract it's contents to a folder of your choice. (download can be found: HERE)
2.) Turn on the Xbox and make sure that the FTP options within the settings menu are configured properly.
3.)On the PC with the recovery.bin file, use a web browser of a FTP client program (such as FlashFXP or CuteFTP) and connect to your Xbox's ftp server (ftp://xbox:xbox@XBOXIPHERE)
4.) Once the Xbox's drives and partitions are visible, navigate to the Xbox's e:\ drive and drag the recovery.bin over into it. Close connection for now.
5.) Now navigate within the XOS main menu and choose the "Recovery" menu option and you will then be sent to the Recovery loading screen. If all went well your Xbox should display that it retrieved the necessary file from the hard drive and should power down automatically within a minute or two.
*NOTE:DO NOT POWER DOWN OR REBOOT THE XBOX, IT WILL POWER DOWN AUTOMATICALLY!
6.) Turn Xbox back on, then FTP into the Xbox once more and remove the recovery.bin from the e:\ drive. Congrats, you are up to date!

*For whatever reason you found that you cannot FTP into the Xbox then continue to the next section of "Updating via Disk."

Updating via CDRW/DVD-R

Now for whatever reason you cannot FTP or network to your Xenium (which is highly common with chips flashed with the XOS 2.0 beta 2) and you are down to the next option. This next option is burning the necessary "recovery.bin" file to a CD-RW or DVD-R media and recovering that way. If you have tried this and failed to update, then you are most likely burning the disk wrong, or using the premade iso offered by TeamXodus which I have found to be really unreliable. Either way listen up!
*Make sure the TSOP and eeprom are backed up before continuing. I am not liable for anything you do beyond this messege.
*NOTE: For Xbox v1.6 owners, you will need to navigate to the Disk tools within the XOS menu and "Unlock" your Hard drive.
1.) Download the XOS 2.01 hdd rar archive and extract it's contents to a folder of your choice. (download can be found: HERE)
2.) Open up Nero and choose "Make Data Disk". drag over the recovery.bin file over into the project window and then find a large file (Rar file/EXE 500MB+ in size) and put it along the recovery.bin.
3.) Choose Burn. When the burn prompt comes up go to the Multisession tab and select "No Multisession disk" and then go back to the burn tab and make sure the "Finalize disk" box is checked and burning method is switched to "Disk at once" Choose the slowest Burn speed available and hit the burn button!
4.) Turn on the Xbox and insert the newly burned recovery disk in. Choose the recovery option in the XOS main menu and your Xbox will go to a recovery loading screen. If all went fine then in the top left corner there will be a messege displaying "Got from CD!" and the Xbox will automatically power down. (might take a minute or two).
*Note: DO NOT POWER DOWN OR REBOOT THE XBOX, IT WILL POWER DOWN AUTOMATICALLY!
5.) Power on the Xbox and enjoy the new XOS!

Troubleshooting:
Q: I can't seem to update via the HDD/CD methods? what am I doing wrong?
A: In your case, I would suggest you to reburn the disk and follow the instructions more carefully. If the disk isn't the problem then you may have to open your Xbox up and flip the "recovery" switch over to on on the Xenium chip. Once the update finishes up, open the Xbox back up and flip the recovery switch back over to off and boot up!

Q: I can't upgrade via the HDD method and I have tried everything! even the recovery switch!!!
A: You may have a v1.6 Xbox. For you you will need to Unlock the Hard drive. You can do this from within the XOS menu, goto disk tools and toggle the "Lock unlock" to "Unlock". Proceed with your recovery.

Q: Can I use a CDR or a DVDRW for the disk method?
A: No. Simply put, most Xbox;s simply cannot read those mediums.

Q: Dummy file? why do I need to use a Dummy file!?
A: It makes the small recovery.bin file more readable and accessible to your Xbox's Drive. Any file 500MB+ in size will do.

Q: Help me! I have a v1.6 Xbox and after I updated my Xenium's OS I can't boot into my retail MS Dash!?
A: Don't worry, your hard drive is still unlocked from the recovery. Boot up the Xbox into the Xenium OS (if Quick Boot is activated then simply boot the xbox with the eject button) and navigate to "Disk Tools." Toggle the "Lock hard drive" selection and launch the retail dash from the Xeniums Launch Menu. It should boot into the Dash without problem.

Okay well I threw this together in 10 mins so I hope it helps someone...If it helped you please post about it!

Edited by Dangerously_Cheesy, 31 October 2004 - 03:53 AM.

#2 X3rules

X3rules

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 02:14 AM

I might add that people need to not reboot too soon or power off thinking they have frozen up after recovering as it does take several seconds to reboot with the new OS. You might want to highlight this someplace. Excellent tutorial. I would recommend a "pinned" on this one and it can be updated with newer version. wink.gif

#3 Dangerously_Cheesy

Dangerously_Cheesy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 03:54 AM

Thanks X3rules, I added that per your request (thanks for that!) and added a new troubleshoot scenerio. smile.gif thx wink.gif

#4 realmccloy

realmccloy

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 04:28 AM

I am sure a lot of people will find your tut very handy!! It's nice to see someone putting in the yards for the newbs!!

later man

realmccloy
----------------------
http://www.themodgod.com

#5 Dilliam

Dilliam

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 03:57 AM

What about updating through a web browser? I have never tried that but heard it is easy.

EDIT: Just tried it, its dogshit simple.

Edited by Dilliam, 12 November 2004 - 05:29 AM.

#6 bishop05

bishop05

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 November 2004 - 04:01 AM

Good tut.

#7 Dangerously_Cheesy

Dangerously_Cheesy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:39 AM

If you are doing the update via CD/DVD-R and wanna great dummy file creator then grab it here: Click me

#8 chewz

chewz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 06 December 2004 - 03:12 AM

QUOTE (Dangerously_Cheesy @ Oct 31 2004, 01:38 AM)
Okay well I threw this together in 10 mins so I hope it helps someone...If it helped you please post about it!

Great tutorial, but does anybody else think that all that took longer than 10 minutes? jester.gif

#9 Dangerously_Cheesy

Dangerously_Cheesy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 07:07 AM

HAHAHA well...to be honest it took about 30 minutes, but only because I contemplated about adding images...See if I added images then I would have made a PDF.

#10 Dangerously_Cheesy

Dangerously_Cheesy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 07:43 AM

Wish I had the ability to edit the original guide but...Oh wells some updates to the troubleshooter:

Q: I have a v1.6 Xbox and I tried upgrading via HDD but nothing works! Recovery switch is on and still doesn't work, what can I possibly do to correct this problem?
A: Well you can backup all files on your e:\ drive to your PC and reformat that partition. After the format is complete, restore the files back to e:\ and also FTP the "Recovery.BIN" over as well. Attempt update.

Q: When I attempt to FTP to my Xbox, my "D" drive is missing! What the hell is wrong here, is this a problem with the chip or the drive?
A: Well could be two things, first thing to do is to check if a disk is in the drive. If there is a disk in the drive and the "Invisible drive" syndrome continues then the Xbox most likely cannot read the disk. Simply remake your Update CD/DVD and try again. If the Drive still seems to be missing then open the Xbox up and check the cables to see if they are properly plugged in.

Q: When I FTP to the Xbox I can see the folders but can't see any of the files! What am I doing wrong here?
A: Go into your FTP's configuration and make sure that "Show all/hidden files" (Or disabling the show hidden files selection) is UNCHECKED and that you are using the basic list command; That is, LIST, with no options (like LIST -al, etc) . Remember that configuration name and location varies depending on FTP Client.

Q: I have a v1.6 Xbox and I successfully updated Xenium's OS...well kinda successful. When I booted it back up after it automatically shut down I get no video OR audio??? Did Xenium KILL my Xbox?
A: Let's try some things here ok? Does your Xbox have video/audio when you boot with the chip taken out? If so then check for solder splash. If there is no solder splash then I would be concerned that the chip is damaged. have a friend or someone else with a 1.6 try it out and see if it works, if the chip doesn't then it might be time to buy a new one!

Q: Okok, now I am really gnashing my teeth here man, I just CAN'T connect to my Xenium's FTP server!! I get passed the login stuff but then it gives me a socket error #100601 !! I have the network setup 100% correct and everything, what the HELL could it be?
A: Well, wanna recheck your network again? Haha ok, I trust you. Make sure that your FTP client's transfer mode is set to "PORT" and not "PASV" This should clear things up.

I'll add more as I get questions/think of anymore. Hope I'm helpin peepz.

#11 Dangerously_Cheesy

Dangerously_Cheesy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 10:10 PM

Something all v1.6 Xbox owners should know!!!

Because of RAM timing issues, the recovery process does not work on some "1.6b" consoles. You will need to flash the chip on a different console if you have one of these "1.6b" versions. Just a heads up if the troubleshooting guide doesn't fix your prob...

#12 MrShadow

MrShadow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 08 December 2004 - 05:35 AM

thanks for the tutorial. it work perfectly biggrin.gif .

Thanks Again
sombody pin this!

#13 Silentscream__

Silentscream__

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:29 PM

nice tut cheesy.

#14 Dangerously_Cheesy

Dangerously_Cheesy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 08:41 PM

Gosh..Thanks guys smile.gif Hehehe

There is a new OS update today! (2.0.2) so go ahead and grab it NOW!
HDD VERSION
ISO VERSION

And remember, my guide still works so use it if ya need it for this new update! wink.gif

Happy holidays.

#15 cbushy

cbushy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 01:04 AM

i have a 1.6 xenium ice xbox.

after flashing to 2.0.2 using the isos from Teamxodus i have dark transparent pixel lines appear across my xenium ice os menus.

all apps and game etc are working fine. just the menu looks a little wierd.

when i reflashed to the older 2.0.1 the lines are still there.

is this a bug or did i feck something up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users