54 replies to this topic

#1 Shinigami

Shinigami

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:44 AM

I'm at college right now and we have been having I string of people stealing stuff.
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good way to lock down my box (like to my dresser or bed). I was thinking of having a thick cord like they use to lock down laptops at best buy or wherever. My Gamecube will be easy to lock down because it has that handle to thread the cord through; but where should I put the cord on my Xbox (or a good place to drill a hole)? If anyone knows anything better, please share!!! Thanks!

#2 Shinny

Shinny

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:48 AM

Lock your door?

If someone wants to jack your GC, that handle won't be stopping them, and the laptop locks aren't really much better at slowing down a thief.

I take for granted how awesome my college is sometimes, nothing is EVER stolen around here...

#3 parkerbender

parkerbender

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:52 AM

mine too, hey move to nebraska, or hide it under your bed or something, are they actually getting past the door locks? christ we dont even lock our doors at unl, god it's great!

#4 Shinny

Shinny

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:55 AM

Yeah, I leave my door unlocked a lot of the time, and there are thousands of dollars of electronics in here. Hell, the front door to the house is propped open 99% of the time too.

#5 Shinigami

Shinigami

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:56 AM

I wish that I didn't have to worry about it... but I do. We have some stupid people here at college.

Edited by Shinigami, 02 November 2004 - 06:57 AM.

#6 Shinny

Shinny

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 07:03 AM

Well, what's wrong with the door locks, or do they actually break into people's rooms?

If they're actually breaking into rooms I'd assume they're in a rush, so the laptop lock idea may work. As for rigging one up to an xbox, it wouldnt be too difficult, pick one up and give it a shot. I just can't see any way of mounting one that would make it really solid though...

Can't think of a way to attach one to your dresser that wouldn't be permanent or require some modifications to your dresser - and I doubt your school would appreciate that.

Depends on the bed, but looping the laptop lock through the frame if it's got a place to do it may be your best option.

#7 Shinigami

Shinigami

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 07:11 AM

QUOTE (Shinny @ Nov 2 2004, 08:06 AM)
Well, what's wrong with the door locks, or do they actually break into people's rooms?

They break in!

And I'm sure they are in a rush. They are not proffesionals so I'm sure the laptop lock down will scare them.

#8 flashfreak

flashfreak

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 November 2004 - 09:20 AM

this may sound like a dodgy idea but it'd work. take the case off and the hard drive, dvd etc and tie a thick peice of string between the vertical holes in the side of the case, then drill 2 holes in ur dresser thing either side of the box, put the string through and tie it underneath!

it'd be tough to take

#9 browndanielusn

browndanielusn

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Coding, Database Design, anything computer related.
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 02 November 2004 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (flashfreak @ Nov 2 2004, 10:23 AM)
this may sound like a dodgy idea but it'd work. take the case off and the hard drive, dvd etc and tie a thick peice of string between the vertical holes in the side of the case, then drill 2 holes in ur dresser thing either side of the box, put the string through and tie it underneath!

it'd be tough to take

Sounds like the best idea if you want to have your xbox out all the time. If you use one of the laptop cord and lock you would have to drill a hole (screw) to secure the cord to the xbox. Which I would think would be easy to pull out of plastic if they were just yanking it in a hurry. Or you could just put a pad lock on your locker (drawer) and put it in there. I'm not sure what type of furniture you have in your dorm room. Back in the day (not like it was that long ago...7 years...I'm not that old) we had lockers already suited for padlocks.

#10 crewdude55

crewdude55

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 02 November 2004 - 01:49 PM

take all your shit out of the xbox and put it in like..... your shoe. Then put the xbox out and let them steal it, only to realize that its empty..... you might also want to put some weight in it to make it believable....

#11 Mjkthirdeye

Mjkthirdeye

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 02 November 2004 - 02:16 PM

Craftily rig a shot gun up to your door. Only set it when you go to sleep or away for a while. That way when they break in.... POW! no more stupid punks robbing shit. It works in cartoons and hell everyone knows TV never lies.

laugh.gif laugh.gif rotfl.gif

#12 sp3cialk

sp3cialk

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 02 November 2004 - 02:53 PM

yea man ... sounds pretty bad.... you should move out the ghetto ... just get weezy and move on up george..... laugh.gif those laptop locks suck.... you can pick them with a ballpoint pen.... put a gps unit in it and if they steal it track them down and steal all their stuff....

#13 Master-Chief

Master-Chief

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 02 November 2004 - 03:49 PM

This may sound kind of stupid, but you should drill holes through where ever your Xbox is placed and buy longer screws so you can have your Xbox screwed into your dresser. That way, the only way they can steal it is to take the whole damn dresser (which probably consists of underwear and other smelly socks..lol) or they can unscrew the Xbox which would have to take a lot of time. wink.gif

#14 zinkoxyde

zinkoxyde

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (Master-Chief @ Nov 2 2004, 10:52 AM)
This may sound kind of stupid, but you should drill holes through where ever your Xbox is placed and buy longer screws so you can have your Xbox screwed into your dresser.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Thats how they do it in schools and other public places. You can put some screws down through your xbox (from the inside, down through the plastic) into a board and secure that.

Also, this works VERY well.
Security Plate

Their hard as hell to get off. Check around, there are variations of the same idea. Just a strong adhesive on a plate with a ring on it, that a lock can go on.

Edited by zinkoxyde, 02 November 2004 - 04:27 PM.

#15 ahoatam

ahoatam

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Xecuter 2.3<br />80 Gb HDD<br />XBMC Dash<br />JP1 remote<br />12V 80mm Fan<br />Internal auto-switching DVD
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 02 November 2004 - 04:41 PM

We have some stupid people here at college.

That's just funny... rotfl.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users