15 replies to this topic

#1 dapoopta

dapoopta

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 02:56 AM

okay here goes... i have an idea. I own a Z64 Mr. Backup device. the device is a zip drive and i top port to put in a game and a bottom external port to put into ur n64. it all looks like one big nintendo 64 game if u guys have never seen or heard of it. Well basically what it does: it copies a n64 game from the cart to the zip disk. then you load the game on the zip disk to ram that is in this machine, after it is loaded succesful (takes about 20-30sec) you turn on the power to your n64. you dont actually have to have the same game in the z64 that you copied to the disk to play (that would defeat the purpose). the game that you have to put in the topof the machine has something to do with the eeprom save. well what i wanna do is MAKE my own z64. i was thinking if i had a cheap little mother board and processor i could flash the z64 bios to it (finding this might be hard). then hook the zip drive in somehow :-P then put some ram in, i think the biggest games on n64 were either 32mb or 64mb, so id throw a 64 mb chip in there. you could probably find the same size things to plug the game cart into and then plug one into the system (not sure waht they are called :-). if there are plans out there could someone PLEASE help me by sending me a link or the actual plans. This has nothing to do with piracy but curiousity. the c64 works on the same concept except it had a cd drive. i never owned or knew anyone who owned one so i dont know exactly. to copy game for that all you do is hook it to your computer with parallel port then copy the rom. then burn it back to cd and play like that ***not exactly sure***.
well any info would be appreciated. thanx guys

#2 dapoopta

dapoopta

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 04:09 AM

ive been thinkin more about this. after searching the net i found some sites that have the bios'. then i was thinking...man it would be alot easier to do the cdrom version. the cd64 plugs into the bottom of ur n64. so theres a problem of finding a plug that could fit into there. then figuring out how it read from the original game in the slot. theres a lot of stuff here, someone ought to know :-P

#3 xboxmodder4life

xboxmodder4life

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 February 2003 - 05:14 AM

never mind its to late to post my post didnt make any sense

Edited by xboxmodder4life, 10 February 2003 - 05:16 AM.

#4 BIOYAM

BIOYAM

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 06:29 AM

You might get quicker help if you post your question in the Dextrose N64 Forum located here: http://www.dextrose....forum/index.php

BIOYAM.

Edited by BIOYAM, 10 February 2003 - 06:30 AM.

#5 dapoopta

dapoopta

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 06:55 AM

i did post there too...but i was thinkin us xbox'ers might know a little on this topic too. just trying to get any info i can before i just jump into this. thanx guys

#6 gsxr

gsxr

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 10 February 2003 - 08:40 AM

I had a mr backup(z64) back in the day, I paid like $380 for the thing back when n64 was new, heh. Anyways i was in the n64 scene alot watching stuff no one ever built an alternative to this model that i knew of.. so I highly doubt you'd be able to build one, no offense.

Anyways good luck either way.

Edited by gsxr, 10 February 2003 - 09:13 AM.

#7 equilibrium

equilibrium

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 10 February 2003 - 11:51 AM

I have a v64jr which does the same thing. I found dextrose was the best place for info etc. Most of the n64 games seem to boot from the mario64 boot rom. But isn't there a n64 emu being worked on for the xbox atm??. I've seen the one with no sound which is pretty good at emulating mario64.

I doubt you'd be able to run a n64 bootcode on a computer mobo tho sad.gif . I don't see why you'd want to waste so much time on it tbh, looking on the dextrose forum the n64 section is totaly dead. I stopped using my v64jr about 2 years or more ago.

But gl if you're gonna go for it beerchug.gif

Edited by equilibrium, 10 February 2003 - 11:56 AM.

#8 Ace25

Ace25

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  • Interests:Modding anything I can...
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 February 2003 - 03:01 PM

I have a Doctor v64 sitting in a box.. its a CD-Rom that plugs into the DD port on the bottom, the Z64 came out a few years later... Never seen plans to build one though.. although when I took mine apart they seemed very simple, and I still have all the bios for it.

#9 ph7

ph7

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 10 February 2003 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (equilibrium @ Feb 10 2003, 12:51 PM)
I have a v64jr which does the same thing. I found dextrose was the best place for info etc. Most of the n64 games seem to boot from the mario64 boot rom. But isn't there a n64 emu being worked on for the xbox atm??. I've seen the one with no sound which is pretty good at emulating mario64.

I doubt you'd be able to run a n64 bootcode on a computer mobo tho sad.gif . I don't see why you'd want to waste so much time on it tbh, looking on the dextrose forum the n64 section is totaly dead. I stopped using my v64jr about 2 years or more ago.

But gl if you're gonna go for it beerchug.gif

Plus it is easy to find 'backups' of al the n64 games anyway, I have them all...
because I had every game for real *cough*

#10 J.P. Patches

J.P. Patches

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 05:16 PM

I've got a z64. I'm just about to loan it to someone so that she can play Zelda. smile.gif

My biggest complaint now is the price of Zip disks. smile.gif

#11 Ace25

Ace25

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 07:06 PM

That's why you need a Doc v64... CD-Rs.. wink.gif, I think I have 5 CDs with about 150 backups per CD. I liked the Z64 plugging into the top instead if the bottom, my D64 has issues with the DD connection.. but thats my only complaint.. one day I will just solder a ribbon cable between the 2 and just have it permanent. I was actually quite sad when I had to box up my N64, bought the first Zelda in Nov, in Dec got a 60" tv, and something with lack of anti aliasing on the N64 made games unplayable. Link was just a blob of pixels, could no longer make out the graphics.. A nice working XBox emu would be soooo sweet.. hope that and a PS1 emu actually become reality someday.

#12 dapoopta

dapoopta

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 06:06 AM

yea i gave up.. last night i found the cd64 for 159 bux with shipping . so i figured in parts it would probably cost me this much anyway. thanks for ur input guys.

#13 dapoopta

dapoopta

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 06:08 AM

i just realized how funny this is too because its been almost exactly 24 hours... hahahaha and im giving up already :-)
right now im just looking something to kill time because im running out of things to do!!! I have xbox, ps2 both modded and i dont know whats wrong with me! i should be in heaven. contra is the only thing that keeps me interested

#14 IonBlade

IonBlade

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (J.P. Patches @ Feb 10 2003, 05:16 PM)
My biggest complaint now is the price of Zip disks. smile.gif

Save the hassle and d/l the 2.18zd bios for the Z64 (think that was the number), then pop an 8GB laptop drive in the Z64 and connect it with one of those laptop drive -> 40 pin IDE converters. 's what I did. No more zip disks and all the games released in the US fit on there smile.gif

#15 Ace25

Ace25

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 11:00 PM

Wow, that is a really good idea, replacing the Zip with a Notebook HD... I wonder if the DocV64 bios supports that also, replacing the CD-Rom with a HD or even just a DVD-Rom.. that would kick butt... every N64 game on 1 DVD.. HD would be even more sweet, going to have to pull mine out of the closet and test that idea.. thanks.. not like I dont have enuff on my plate as it is.. wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users