20 replies to this topic

#1 Crypto

Crypto

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 10:26 PM

Hey all. I've done searching but haven't found any useful info on the subject.

Can you unlock an xbox hd without the xbox (Like for instance.. in a PC)? or is it simply not possible?

If you have any info please let me know.
- Crypto

#2 FastJack

FastJack

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 10:28 PM

I never looked for this, but damn it would be usefull to know this.

#3 mqarkcambie

mqarkcambie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 11:30 PM

There is a tutorial lurking around xbox-scene somewhere, AFAIK it involves using linux somewhere along the line. It sounded like a big hassle to me.

You may get some milage out of a program called Qunlock.exe I just used it to unlock a Tivo drive outside of the tivo and I guess that was using a similar process to the xbox??

Mark.

#4 kRaYzRaY

kRaYzRaY

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 November 2004 - 05:15 AM

http://www.xbox-scen...cles/pc-hdd.php

#5 Crypto

Crypto

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:36 PM

mqarkcombie - I tried the qunlock program, it didn't unlock

krazyray - i tried that tutorial, and it wasn't unlocking either of the drives correctly. I followed it to a tea, but when I rebooted my PC the drive seemed to be locked agian.

I also no longer have the xbox it came from, there must be a way to do this :\

#6 FallsInc

FallsInc

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:25 AM

without the xbox it came from its gonna take a long time to get it to work.....

a long long time. you need the HD key is all then its easy

#7 Crypto

Crypto

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 01:34 AM

is it possible to unlock by putting it in a modded box?

#8 mrkaylor

mrkaylor

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:44 AM

From what I understand, you can't take a locked HDD from one xbox and place it in another xbox. The motherboard will try to use the HDD key from the old (original) drive, and error #6 will be displayed on the TV screen. This will happen whether a modchip is in place or not.

anyway, someone correct me if I'm wrong

#9 kRaYzRaY

kRaYzRaY

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:10 AM

I'm as confused as you guys are. I've also followed the unlock tutorial down to a T and failed. I've tried EvoX too. I guess the only thing to do is solder the old eeprom to a working 'box. I'm sure there must be another way though....

#10 Crypto

Crypto

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 07:13 AM

Someone was saying it's possible but takes a long time... I wish you would go into more detail

#11 Prodius

Prodius

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 12:09 PM

do u mean making the xbox hdd able to go on a pc or just locking//unlocking it? cause if u just want to lock unlock it but keep it for xbox go here i hope! thats what ur lookin for i used it to make my 160 GB maxtor on my v1.6 because configmagic wouldnt work cool.gif

#12 triggernum5

triggernum5

X-S Messiah

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 November 2004 - 01:45 PM

Whoa, this went on for a while without anybody pointing out how hopeless this can be.. Yes, it would take a very long time.. You would need to try as many as 2^160 passwords, and you can only make 4 attempts until you reboot the hdd.. So basically that is not an option.. Your one chance is to hope that the hdd was ever locked with Config Magic.. Get atapwd.exe (its on this site) and try TEAMASSEMBLY as the master password.. Perhaps try XBOXSCENE as well since xboxhdm sets that master password, but odds are if its a stock hdd that no master password has been set..
On a side note, networkBoy has apparently managed to read some data off a locked hdd.. IIRC the process required a few years of research, about 60hrs of work, and several thousand dollars worth of equipment.. Not really worth it for an 8GB hdd.. Well unless there is information vital to national security or something..smile.gif

#13 Crypto

Crypto

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 11:39 AM

oh that doesn't sound good... I can't believe there is no real way around this!

#14 Crypto

Crypto

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:26 PM

and for sure you can't take a modded box and unlock a drive from another box using any tools right?

#15 triggernum5

triggernum5

X-S Messiah

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:19 PM

A few ppl have been wondering what effect a powerful magnet will have on a locked hdd..
Basically though NO.. After briefly reading up on the ATA-3 spec, I was convinced I could not pull it off.. The entire security system is contained in a single IC chip (so you cannot intercept unencrypted data off of a bus), and a hash of the password is also stored on a non-addressable portion of the disk itself.. This means that swapping the board off the drive will not work since you would need to replace it with another identical board, and the password is not stored there (the pcb's are model specific)..
Perhaps if you were to decap the firmware chip and figure out the decryption algorythm you could manually decrypt the intercepted password then replace the pcb with one from another hdd.. I'm not sure, but I think you'd need an STM to pull that off.. I saw one on EBay once.smile.gif
Really though, its not much easier than determining an exact value for Pi..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users