• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ichiduo

Ichiduo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:24 PM

Okay guys, i've been reading the tutorials, and have basically gotten the jist of how things are supposed to be done.

I have a few questions though. I've chosen to do this mod this way:

Controller Port MOD Guide

My question is, would a 5mm LED be too big for the controller port LED mod? I wanted to get blue LEDs and when I searched radioshack.com, the only ones they have which are 3mm are red ones. Would the 5mm be too big for me to get the shielding back on?

Also, is there any place other than Radioshack I could walk into and buy LEDs?

One last question, and I know this is covered in the stickied, but I'm a complete and total newb (but one that was able to install an X3 on his Xbox tongue.gif )... If the 5mm LED will work.. What resistor would work with it? I tried the calculators, but the way radioshack.com lists the specs, I don't know if I'm putting the right numbers in the calculator / equation. I don't want to get the wrong hardware / put everything in, and find out it's the wrong hardware the hard way. happy.gif*

Just for reference here's the LEDs I'm looking at:

Blue LED 1

Blue LED 2

Is any one better / brighter than another?

I'm sorry if any of this was already copied in another thread, I tried searching the forums, but couldn't find one answering my specific questions. Thank you guys / gals in advance for any help you can give me.

#2 Mattssogay

Mattssogay

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:28 PM

There are a ton of places way better than RadioShack.From the pinned FAQ at the top:
B01. LEDs
- http://www.LSDiodes.com - Highly reccomended by a lot of modders on the scene. LEDs & Resistors.
- http://www.besthongkong.com/ - Also highly reccomended. LEDs and resistors.
- http://www.coolerguys.com/ - Expensive, but one of the few places that has RED/BLUE bicolor LEDs. subdigital had some advice to offer - he phoned coolerguys, and they suggested that people phone in their LED orders to save money on shipping - around 5 bucks! See their contact page for phone numbers and ordering hours!
- eBay LED listings - You can get bulk LEDs for very cheap on eBay, you just have to watch what's there.
- Don't buy LEDs at Radio Shack. They are weak and terrible.

#3 Arjun

Arjun

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:29 PM

1.) first led is a thousand times brighter.
2.) yes you can use 5mm, worst case scenario you just have to sand them down
3.) NEVER BUY LEDS FROM RADIOSHACK!!!!!! They are crap. That 2600mcd is $4+ you can get a 6000mcd for under 20 cents online. Try 123leds.com
4.) I cant remember any more questions you had...

#4 Garrett19

Garrett19

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:35 PM

If i were you i would use the tutorial that Timmy made. I used it and it worked like a charm really good pics and everything. I used 2 5000 mcd red leds in each port and they turned out awesome. I got mine from pimpmyxbox.com and they were really good leds havn't had any problems with them so far. Good luck whatever ya do.

#5 Ichiduo

Ichiduo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. laugh.gif

Okay, I'll stay away from RS. tongue.gif

Wanted to see if any other stores offered LEDs that weren't online. I knew it might be a tough find...

#6 FzA

FzA

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:44 PM

Thats's why i'm like FUCK radio shack

#7 Mattssogay

Mattssogay

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (Ichiduo @ Nov 7 2004, 12:44 PM)
Wanted to see if any other stores offered LEDs that weren't online. I knew it might be a tough find...

If you want to stay away from an online purchase and dont want to shop at Radio Shack you could try a local electronics hobbyist/enthusiast shop.(try the phone book or maybe your local R\S) A Local Radio shack actually reccomended one to me when they didnt have a part i needed.

#8 Ichiduo

Ichiduo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (Mattssogay @ Nov 7 2004, 06:52 PM)
If you want to stay away from an online purchase and dont want to shop at Radio Shack you could try a local electronics hobbyist/enthusiast shop.(try the phone book or maybe your local R\S) A Local Radio shack actually reccomended one to me when they didnt have a part i needed.

I'll try the phonebook idea. Last time I went to RS was to buy the Torx screwdrivers to open my Xbox. When I asked the person at the counter about Torx screwdrivers he was like "Torx??? Ummmmm... Try over there with the screwdrivers and stuff.."

Kinda made me affraid to trust their advice or trust their knowledge of good places to buy things. laugh.gif

#9 dumps

dumps

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:06 PM

ive ordered from lsdiodes 3 times now

they ship to aus for a couple of bucks

I get 5 high quality leds from there compared to one crappy one from jaycar here (jarcar is the aus equivilent to radio shack)

The more u order the more free leds u get

They send u a kool sticker with every order!!!

#10 EvolutionVII

EvolutionVII

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:03 PM

If you looking for blue ones I got mine for trade of ones with no leds in them. Mine Are dual 3mm leds. Here's a pic. I need others to make orange ones.

user posted image

#11 Poom

Poom

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:19 AM

I bought some 3mm blue LED's from ebay! Take a look here

Should be here tommorow so I will let you know how I get on trying to do this mod smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users