9 replies to this topic

#1 sports26126

sports26126

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 09:27 PM

I don't think this has been done before, and if it has I would like to see some pictures/links. My idea is to cut a small grove into the dvd window (along the side) and run an el wire inside it. I haven't actually used el wire so I don't know exactly how it will come out. I've also heard some mixed oppinions about el wire (noisy inverters, not very bright, ect...)

Please voice any comments about this idea!

Concept Drawing:
user posted image

Edited by sports26126, 07 November 2004 - 09:30 PM.

#2 sports26126

sports26126

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 09:53 PM

No one has any ideas? No comments good/bad? No suggestions with the el wire? Anyone know how the light will diffuse through the plexiglass.

I wanted it to be pretty much even rather than just bright edges.

#3 sinister slipknot

sinister slipknot

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:16 PM

well if people havnt done this before like you said how would we know what it will be like? dry.gif

#4 ripro

ripro

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:19 PM

IMO you're not really going to be happy with the amount of illumination you're going to get with EL wire... but thats what being a pioneer is all about! screwing up and improving on your ideas laugh.gif

#5 Delusions

Delusions

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:19 PM

The Grove for the EL wire would work and probally look good and send the light threw the plexy. The Only thing is EL wire isnt super bright

Edited by Delusions, 07 November 2004 - 10:21 PM.

#6 Varsa

Varsa

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:22 PM

Then what should you get instead of elwires? I was planing on having my whole box filled with wires...:S Leds dont get that even light that Im looking for, or is there a way?

#7 sinister slipknot

sinister slipknot

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:26 PM

try CC's (Cold Cathodes)

#8 sports26126

sports26126

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:41 PM

I heard el wire wasn't that bright. Also does the inverter have an impact on how bright it would be (I would think so)? Thanks for the comments so far. I was hoping the light would diffuse through the plastic and it might have a nice effect even though the el wire isn't THAT bright. A problem I just thought of: with the window lighting up, will it not have an effect on viewing the dvd? I mean if I'm not lighting up the insides of the xbox would the light IN the dvd window only make the dvd window light up but not really improve visibility. I'm not going to be watching dvds spin all day long either so I'm not that concerned, but putting a CC under the window would probably have a different effect than using the el wire.

#9 ramos

ramos

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:51 PM

Go for the EL wire, it sounds like a good idea. The edges for the indent will make the light somewhat more visable. Just go for it, if it looks bad, just get rid of it.

#10 ripro

ripro

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 03:45 AM

hmm heres an idea, if you think the groove wont let the EL wire light the dvd drive well enough you could cut a bevel instead of a groove- it would be alot easier to do too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users