6 replies to this topic

#1 pedro

pedro

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 02:20 AM

I finally decided to paint my xbox. I ve been planning to for a while now just never got around to it. I decided to go with solid white, because, even though its overdone here on the scene, no one around where I'm from has one like that so its original to me.

I painted it saturday morning and it turned out well with the exception of there being a few specs of dirt in it. which i didnt like so i decided to let it dry and sand the specks out and apply one last coat to finish it off clean...

all was going well. I let it dry for approcimately 24 hours before sanding it. and then I went to apply a final coat, but for some reason the paint started to 'cook up' (thats what we call it in the autobody business) like it looks like little spiderweb cracks runing all through it. Luckily I noticed it on the first coat on the face plate so i didnt mess up the entire casing.

but what would casue this?
I cleaned it well before spraying so I dont think it could be that.

my friend mentioned that maybe it was because of fusion being plastic paint but now it was just going on top of paint instead of plastic. I didnt think that would be it but could it be?

thanks

#2 Camstheman

Camstheman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • Interests:I like fat pusť
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 November 2004 - 02:55 AM

you should've used duplicolor

#3 Glockwork

Glockwork

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 02:57 AM

yeah i just painted the top of my box and i have to do the rest and it hasnt happened to me the only thing i can think of is taht it is too hot or way to cold wuts the temp there? and where are u painting it like outside or wut??

#4 dollerbill

dollerbill

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 November 2004 - 03:27 AM

QUOTE (Camstheman @ Nov 7 2004, 06:58 PM)
you should've used duplicolor

Dude... Shut the hell up. Just because you have a personal preference on something doesn't make it right, or give you the right to thread crap and tell someone else what they did wrong.

QUOTE (Glockwork @ Nov 7 2004, 07:00 PM)
yeah i just painted the top of my box and i have to do the rest and it hasnt happened to me the only thing i can think of is taht it is too hot or way to cold wuts the temp there? and where are u painting it like outside or wut??

Ditto

#5 ripro

ripro

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 08 November 2004 - 03:39 AM

i have had great results with krylon fusion, i'd be willing to bet mine has a better finish than "camstheman" who has nothing good to say. are you shaking the can well enough? shake it for a couple minutes before, and every once in a while during spray painting... can you post some pics maybe? also, i would wait 2 days to cure before sanding instead of one.

#6 pedro

pedro

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 03:54 AM

i was inside in a well ventalated area with temps around 65-70
couldnt go outside cuz it was like 40 degrees.
I shook it well for 2-3 minutes.

I am beginning to think that there is something up with this can of paint though
I just sprayed it on a peice of newspaper to see if the paint came out evenly and it didnt
the pattern was totally jacked up. Like at the top of the path it was coming out fine, then towards the middle it was coming out but was clear, and then at the bottom it was fine white paint again.
so there is something up wiht this paint.
perhaps I'll go buy another can tomarrow

#7 deacon187

deacon187

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 November 2004 - 04:04 AM

that happened to me after clear coating with a laquer based clear gloss, it actually looked dope as hell i should of left it but i sanded and repainted

but, inbetween your drying time its always good to clear the cap so paint dont build up in it, just hold it upside down an spray until no paint comes out just air and your cap will be clean, before getting a new can try using a new cap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users