hippo

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 November 2004 - 02:36 PM

Yay I got the 020-A working. It'll be 4 weeks before we see these on the site unless I do a batch in silicon valley then it's 9 to 12 days. Plan on a month your installs come first and you have my blessing to pursue aladdin xt's and doux's like you need my blessing anyway. I know when I get back in stock I'll be able to stay in stock and it'll be a more reliable flashrom than what's turning up for 020's and I know with my pricing I can win you right back.

I think tonight I'm setting my prototypes to be 'always on' and you have to hold the button in for MS bios. And tonight I'll plug in an 040 and see how that goes. I'm thinking real serious to make these always on if you hook them up properly.

This went alot easier than I thought and might cram some ir remote or bank switching from the front panel if the 040 looks doable. I think any LPC flashrom will crack open like a shotgun now.

#2 otherguy

otherguy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 08:09 PM

awsome work hippo... when all this settles you're gonna have to write something up on how it was done.
Great job,

I can't wait to get my hands on the new stock.

#3 MIDDERMAN

MIDDERMAN

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 04:45 AM

dude i have 50 here got ripped by a supplier should have got the none -a versions you be a god if you can give me a hand it's ent off ps2-scene btw think ive scene you on there sorry about the pun lol
EnTiTy

Edited by MIDDERMAN, 09 November 2004 - 04:47 AM.

#4 bigbadpig

bigbadpig

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:14 AM

Nice news, however as you can see from www.xenochip.com and if you know of other news, the A chips have been used sometime by current Aladdin suppliers. These modchips using A type SST are already in circulation and working.

SST49LF020A Now Fully Supported! :: ( Update 02/11/04 )
SST49LF020A Now Fully Supported!

All of our products that uses the SST49LF flash chips are now fully compatible with SST49LF020A. This means lower price and shorter lead times, as the previously used SST49LF020 is out of production and very difficult to obtain.

Edited by bigbadpig, 09 November 2004 - 06:15 AM.

#5 MIDDERMAN

MIDDERMAN

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE (bigbadpig @ Nov 9 2004, 07:17 AM)
Nice news, however as you can see from www.xenochip.com and if you know of other news, the A chips have been used sometime by current Aladdin suppliers.  These modchips using A type SST are already in circulation and working hence the NOW full supported they did not work before so some modig=fication has been done on them either the ic or somewhere else in the circuit.

SST49LF020A Now Fully Supported! :: ( Update 02/11/04 ) 
SST49LF020A Now Fully Supported!

All of our products that uses the SST49LF flash chips are now fully compatible with SST49LF020A. This means lower price and shorter lead times, as the previously used SST49LF020 is out of production and very difficult to obtain.

indeed but not by on their own hence not a cheap mod the addressing is different on these chips's maybe hippo has just shorted a pin on board to force the reading of this ic i dont know but look forward to hearing about it.
EnTiTy

Edited by MIDDERMAN, 09 November 2004 - 07:02 AM.

#6 catdog2

catdog2

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (MIDDERMAN @ Nov 9 2004, 07:59 AM)
indeed but not by on their own hence not a cheap mod the addressing is different on these chips's maybe hippo has just shorted a pin on board to force the reading of this ic i dont know but look forward to hearing about it.
EnTiTy

I believe hippo is probably referring to using a CPLD since he produces 'clever mods' which are similar to aladdins.

He also mentions adding ir mod and bank switching, which requires some form of controller.

#7 hippo

hippo

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 11:21 AM

Yes ask anyone shopping for sst 020 how major this is. They were 70 cents each a couple years ago, now you get a quote at $6 to $8 each. The 020-A is around 80 cents still and the quality is better because you can easily find 1st run chips, not the seconds and pulls that are showing up on the 020 market.

I got the lad lines working on the 040 but I think I forgot to load a bios on, doh. A couple more days of testing for everything.

Also it's still only 20 macros even and I'm testing it for a couple days.

#8 MIDDERMAN

MIDDERMAN

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (hippo @ Nov 9 2004, 12:24 PM)
Yes ask anyone shopping for sst 020 how major this is. They were 70 cents each a couple years ago, now you get a quote at $6 to $8 each. The 020-A is around 80 cents still and the quality is better because you can easily find 1st run chips, not the seconds and pulls that are showing up on the 020 market.

I got the lad lines working on the 040 but I think I forgot to load a bios on, doh. A couple more days of testing for everything.

Also it's still only 20 macros even and I'm testing it for a couple days.

lol so is this with a cpld or without lol.
EnTiTy

#9 joioi50

joioi50

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 09 November 2004 - 11:44 AM

sounds good, I was going to suggest you to make a chip based on sst49lf020A flash types laugh.gif but you did it anyway jester.gif

Edited by joioi50, 09 November 2004 - 11:44 AM.

#10 hippo

hippo

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 02:31 PM

It's a 64 macro cpld that I'm running on now and although it's only 20 macros it's not working on a 32 chip yet. What I did was read the 49lf020-a data sheet 16,000 times, then the 020 data sheet a couple times then some other lpc flashrom data sheet once. After all that (took about 2 years) it only took about 20 minutes and 4 compiles to get a boot, then it took some time to get the flash working and stuff. Although it requires a whole new board I am prototyping on the cma32 board with kynar. I've got several prototypes in the fleet including a robot pig aa32 I soldered a 64 on that's working.

Are there any flashing utils supporting the 020-a and maybe the 040?

Of course here's the idents for evox. It will flash the 020-A.

Flash = 0xbf61,"SST - 49LF020",0x40000
Flash = 0xbf52,"SST - 49LF020-A",0x40000
Flash = 0xbf51,"SST - 49LF040",0x80000

You guys may need these down the road since obviously Aladdin XT and myself have the this 020-A and other flashroms figured out.

Edited by hippo, 09 November 2004 - 02:40 PM.

#11 MIDDERMAN

MIDDERMAN

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:31 PM

so were going to need a jtag progger for the cpld

#12 Rodent

Rodent

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts
  • Location:Austria - Vienna (no, not australia...we don't have kangaroos!)

Posted 10 November 2004 - 12:25 AM

btw,

020 non A still available here in masses,

ask for quotation:

sales@rodmod.de

please be aware, that shipping to non EU countries is possible only
by ordering 100 pcs. +

thanks
alex

#13 myst1x

myst1x

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 10 November 2004 - 01:36 AM

Wow, no wonder these two chips weren't flashing...I got the A versions with the two Aladdin XT's that I ordered. They came without any bios on them too...

#14 hippo

hippo

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 09:54 PM

Finalized the cpld as the 020-A pretty much today. Had an erronious bug where the lframe was shut off during the flash attempts and the flashrom wouldnt even say hello to the flash program.

I came upon some really interesting findings with the way the 1.6 has to have the sst tristated with bidirectional code and have solved that issue but it involved another line of code and a new signal.

Also made the mod default to on in the code so you can use IGR AND disable the mod chip from the front panel. I should have done this last time but is completely different from the aladdin roots which is time to break away from.

Only 20 macros of code space used. From here I've got some ideas on a way to prevent tying D0(lframe) to ground on the 1.6. I'll be contacting a few of you about hand wired prototypes for beta testing.

#15 hippo

hippo

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 12:40 PM

This morning I tested a better way to tie D0 low. Current mod chips use the same D0 signal for 1.0 as they do for 1.6. Catdog mentioned that leaving Lframe pulled low is pulling 60ma to ground and although it's not direct to ground through the CPLD it's still more amperage than you want for an extended period, and let's face it while gaming that is a long time to do this that half assed. My new method seems to work on xbox 1.6 and instead of holding LFRAME low I've made a new signal called Aframe and what Aframe does is it sends a low pulse one clock cycle every 17 clock cycles and it's purpose is to send an abort to the onboard bios 5 clock cycle after LFRAME kicks off the read. This is maybe 200 clocks lasting like a 10th of a second- not even. Sometimes I share my source, hex, ideas etc and this time I'm sharing this.

If you're a mod designer and can follow along this is exactly how it works.

Make a process similar to the one you have handling LFRAME. Put LPCTYPE and your flash port or lad port in the sensitivity list for a control signal. On the third clock cycle of the state machine often known as LPC_ADDRESS_3to8 or similar and if the cnt is right and your flashLAD is right "??XX" or whatever make portAFRAME <='0" else portAFRAME <= 'Z' so it's low or tristate. That's assuming your code is using state machines. I figure just do it in a clock cycle before the address decode. I'm using a single clock abort, maybe gonna try 2. Maybe gonna try turning it off during flashing, although didn't hurt flashing the 020-A in evox.

Anyway my new chip is going to be called either the Sunday Chip or the CleverMod A-Train. Sunday chip for the day I got it loading or A-train because it's 020-A based and the new Aframe method for 1.6.

Maybe somebody else is way ahead of me on this one but I don't think so. I see all these diagrams with D0(LFRAME) direct to ground, potentially, the way these rookies hook sh*t up. Also the new chip is igr compat and loads MS by holding in the button and a quick flick for the chip OR tray eject. You have to hook it up my way or take the highway, you don't like it? Stick it up yer AFRAME.

Thanks to catdog bert for the idea.

Edited by hippo, 12 November 2004 - 03:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users