Photo

Marriage Theory - How To Not Get Banned.

• Please log in to reply
438 replies to this topic

#136 bigshooter13

bigshooter13

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 November 2004 - 08:36 AM

Well if account recovery works, we should take advantage of it now before MS reads this thread and fixes the problem. I'm sure it will just be a matter of time.

#137 vyper883

vyper883

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (vyper883 @ Nov 12 2004, 08:21 AM)
Ok- time for process of elimination:
What happens to an XBOX when it's been modded?
We'll take mine for example?
Version 1.0
xecuter 2.2 pro. As far as physics go, as long as the chip is disabled, there is no way it could be detected, so this hardware change is a moot point.
120Gb western digital. Assuming software is as stock, there is a new physical hardware device, and different serial # for HDD. That is change #1
HDD C:/ partition changes with installation of new dashboard(EVOX, AVALAUNCH) folders man include skins, exox.ini ect. That is change #2.
Addition of extra partitions on HDD, such as F and G partitions. that is change #3.
Installation of homebrew apps. Change #4.
Installation, and patching of various retail games, that were not intended to run off the HDD. Change # 5.
Almost everyone must know by now, that homebrew apps, make subtle changes in the E partition. We know this, and a good example would be for people who have crashed XBMC and have had to delete the 0face8 folder to reset XBMC to run it. Another very obvious example, is many homebrew apps create "gamesaves" for some reason in the XBOX dash under the memory tab. that is change #5
I think that everyone will agree, that these are the most common and basic changes that occur to an XBOX once it's modded, so I believe, whatever M$ is scanning for, is in those changes, thus making it possible to eliminate the majority of modders, or rather modded XBOX's. So what WE are trying to find out is HERE. M$, cannot detect something unless it has changed.
As far as M$ trying to weed out cheaters, I think that is BS. their revenue is damaged by modders(or so THEY think), and not by cheaters so much.
I've had a modded XBOX for two years now, and logged on to XBOX live for the first time AFTER the release of HALO2. So far, no ban. I'll check in the morning to see if I'm still not banned. The only precautions that I've taken, is to delete any illegitimate "saves" from the E partition, such as boxplorer, and any other app saves. We'll see in the morning what happens.
cheers
vyper883

Ok, here's an update:
So far been on and off XBL for the last 72 hours and no ban. As the description of my XBOX since my last post, as I said the ONLY precautions I have taken, is to delete any non legit "gamesaves" that various homebrew apps leave behind, when you use them. The dashboards ALL run off of the C: partition, so I have not concealed any files, or XBE's there. The realeased version of HALO2 was the only dashboard update my XBOX has ever seen, and I've had my XBOX for over three years now. for more detailed info on how my XBOX is modded, please read my quote above this post. Now, not taking into consideration that XBL may have some sort of time delay on their bans, Then I should've been banned the minute I ever logged on to live. Why have i not been? Many would say because my HDD was swapped long before I ever went onto XBL, therefore the marriage theory would hold true. Then again, what about all those who were banned even though they had their HDD's swapped before THEY logged onto XBL, or how about those who have NEVER swapped their HDD's, Softmodded, OR chipped? Here is another interesting fact: The XBOX in it's virgin state, is NOT capable of reading extra partitions,it cannot even SEE them. if it cannot SEE them, then M$ cannot scan for them, unless maybe they update the original TSOP remotely(if that were true I'd been banned long ago- all apps, games on F). The ONLY partiions the XBOX can see, is the C: E: X: Y: Z: on the HDD. So it would not be at all impossible for them to scan C: and E: I don't think that they are scanning C: (again I'd be banned soo fast if they'd scan my C:) My E: partition- skweaky clean, because I deleted ALL the gamesaves that the hombrews leave behind. Now I've read elsewhere that they may be scanning for chips on the LPC. I have by definition an older chip XECUTER 2.2 pro which has a physical on off switch. While other chips use the eject button for a "soft off". Iv'e heard that most mods with older XECUTER chips are still not banned. Thus far with all I have read, and also based on what I've experienced with my setup, I believe that they are scanning for gamesaves that should not be there, and keep in mind even for example if you use BOXPLORER once, it will be gamesaved. So those of you who have not yet logged onto XBL, try keeping a clean gamesave cache, and report what you find onto this thread. I will log bac on to XBL early Sunday 14th to see if I'm still not banned, and if not, it will be a successful 96 hours. Something I forgot to mention, I have swapped Thompson DVD drive in favour of a Samsung SDG605, and I've have not used an active chip very much since I've done the HALO2 dash update. (that may have something to do with it also- maybe an app that dash update installed from HALO2 disk needs to have mod chip active for a certain amount of time, in order to compile info about your XBOX to send it to M$.) Anyway I'll report back to this forum, on what I find.
cheers

#138 z00labus

z00labus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 14 November 2004 - 11:21 AM

I tried out the marriage theory and so far it is working.

My Situation:
XBox 1.0 NTSC (Bought at launch)
Modded about 1 year ago with the orginal X-B.I.T.
Upgraded the DVD drive from Thompson to Phillips about 4 months ago
Upgraded the HD to a Segate 160GB about two weeks before Nov. 9th
November 9th I tried to play Halo 2 and was immediately BANNED!
I flashed a new eeprom without changing anything else... Instantly BANNED!
Today I flashed a new virgin eeprom (never seen live, not in use) and swapped the HD for a new Western Digital 120GB.
I cleaned up all of C and E with X2 4981.06 bios modified to launch dash off F. Copyed over retail stock files to C and E. All mod files are on F including Halo 2 rip, Avalaunch, XBMC, Evox, DVD2Xbox, ConfigMagic. I did not use Slayer's.
Created a new Xbox Live GamerTag account with 2 month trial.
Transferred xbox live account to memory card and deleted off HD.
Popped in Counter-Strike.
Signed into Xbox Live succesfully.
Updated.
Signed back in, played for an hour.
Signed in and out a couple times to see if it was still working.

So far no problems. I will see about delayed ban but my hopes are up on this one. I still haven't played Halo 2 yet (even though I don't know if it is involved, probably not), and I haven't turned on my xbox without stealth mode on (modchip running) yet.

UPDATE:
5 Days Later:
I have played Halo 2 for the past couple nights for several hours. I have signed in again to xbox live. No ban. Good news.

Edited by z00labus, 17 November 2004 - 10:28 PM.

#139 Nebi908

Nebi908

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 11:31 AM

Not banned yet .

this is my set up

-Xbox 1.0
-xbit
- 120gb hdd
-Never been banned before .

Have play halo 2 about 3 days now on live .

Stock hdd with xbox live since mars 03 (2003) to may (2004) then I upgrade hdd to 120gb .

Copy all files from my stocked hdd to my new hdd.
I have deleted all my hacked gamesaves to be sure.
Have all my programs/movie etc on F
I have avalaunch on C and evox too.
Have never play the leaked halo 2 on my xbox.
never play Halo 2 with the chip on.
never change my eeprom.

#140 Gumba

Gumba

X-S Freak

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 14 November 2004 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (z00labus @ Nov 14 2004, 12:24 PM)
I tried out the marriage theory and so far it is working.

My Situation:
XBox 1.0 NTSC (Bought at launch)
Modded about 1 year ago with the orginal X-B.I.T.
Upgraded the DVD drive from Thompson to Phillips about 4 months ago
Upgraded the HD to a Segate 160GB about two weeks before Nov. 9th
November 9th I tried to play Halo 2 and was immediately BANNED!
I flashed a new eeprom without changing anything else... Instantly BANNED!
Today I flashed a new virgin eeprom (never seen live, not in use) and swapped the HD for a new Western Digital 120GB.
I cleaned up all of C and E with X2 4981.06 bios modified to launch dash off F. Copyed over retail stock files to C and E. All mod files are on F including Halo 2 rip, Avalaunch, XBMC, Evox, DVD2Xbox, ConfigMagic. I did not use Slayer's.
Created a new Xbox Live GamerTag account with 2 month trial.
Transferred xbox live account to memory card and deleted off HD.
Popped in Counter-Strike.
Signed into Xbox Live succesfully.
Updated.
Signed back in, played for an hour.
Signed in and out a couple times to see if it was still working.

So far no problems. I will see about delayed ban but my hopes are up on this one. I still haven't played Halo 2 yet (even though I don't know if it is involved, probably not), and I haven't turned on my xbox without stealth mode on (modchip running) yet.

Nice confirmation smile.gif

I've linked to it from the first post

#141 -Gadget-

-Gadget-

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (vyper883 @ Nov 14 2004, 10:35 AM)
Ok, here's an update:
So far been on and off XBL for the last 72 hours and no ban. As the description of my XBOX since my last post

<snip>

good on ya mate smile.gif
pity ya didnt just try ya old GT/account would of been good...
as if ya didnt get banned, would prove the marrege theroy still...

and if ya did get banned again, would of proved the password therory right too
althou i spose, there would be the LPC therory too that xould of been at fault ?
hmm soo

we NEED some1 like your scenario BUT to NOT get a new GT/account and to reomove the LPC mode ...
would prove ALL theories !...
then after a day or so not getting banned, put LPC chip on, and prove/disprove the MPC theroy too !!

and THATS WHAT NEED TO BE DONE TO PROVE/DISPROVE all the thoreys we have !!

but at least we got a 100% confirmation of the marriage !!
so its a well done on that score !

Mick ..

#142 jabberwock

jabberwock

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 05:41 PM

OK... finally got home and and able to see if I've been banned.

Not banned!

Interesting as I have flashed a new EEPROM twice but the last time was in January thus suggesting that it is not neccesarily the first time that you join Live that the EEPROM and HD are married. It seems that, as suggested, MS only began doing this at date since January.. possibly with a software update in March etc.

Incidentally I ran the new Live update a few days ago. Haven't bought Halo 2 yet.

#143 cuffy

cuffy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 05:48 PM

Heres one for you.

Banned, so I put in a new hard drive and BIOS, removed my ICE chip, but did not get a new GT.

I recovered my old GT.

Within 36 hours I was banned again.

The new hard drive was a clean build with nothing on F: etc.

Make you think!!!

#144 Gumba

Gumba

X-S Freak

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (cuffy @ Nov 14 2004, 06:51 PM)
Heres one for you.

Banned, so I put in a new hard drive and BIOS, removed my ICE chip, but did not get a new GT.

I recovered my old GT.

Within 36 hours I was banned again.

The new hard drive was a clean build with nothing on F: etc.

Make you think!!!

I assume that you meant EEPROM where you've said BIOS? right?

Sounds like confirmation of the flagged gamertag addendum

QUOTE (from Marriage Theory)
Further, there is a belief that MS is flagging GamerTags which have been banned, and if this tag is used on an XBox with a non-stock HD, then the XBox will be banned (Both EEPROM and HD). So If you get banned you need to replace your EEPROM and HD with EEPROMS and HDs which XBL has never seen, as well as replace your GamerTag if you want to use a big HD.

Which basically means, if you get banned, and want to use a big disk, you need to get a new eeprom, disk and gamertag.

you didn't get a gamertag, thus you got banned... again sad.gif

now you'll need to get a new disk, eeprom and gamertag again sad.gif

This is fairly strong confirmation of the Marriage Theory

#145 -Gadget-

-Gadget-

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 06:12 PM

BUT THE question remains ..
HOW are they finding out AFTER a ban (because of the marrage thing)

that u have got mods.. IF ya using a new HDD, and eprom and not a dirty drive !
what is it there checking AFTER a ban

i think we got it 100% on marrage.. its just what they checking AFTER a ban ..
and thus how can u upgrade ya HDD if ya already been on live with ya stock one
WITHOUT gettoing a new tag/account (thus more moneys)

Mick ..

#146 Tribis

Tribis

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 November 2004 - 06:27 PM

The marriage theory doesnt seem so realistic, what happens when you do account recovery?

What happens if you get your Xbox repaired by MS and they place a new hd in?

#147 kp84

kp84

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 06:36 PM

when M$ repair ur xbox and they put a new hd
1: they could update the "marriage info"
2: they mite b flashing a new eeprom when they change the HD
i think the marriage theory is true

#148 z00labus

z00labus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 14 November 2004 - 08:21 PM

10 Hours Later:
I just signed in again into xbox live. No ban. Good news.

#149 Gumba

Gumba

X-S Freak

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (-Gadget- @ Nov 14 2004, 07:15 PM)
BUT THE question remains ..
HOW are they finding out AFTER a ban (because of the marrage thing)

that u have got mods.. IF ya using a new HDD, and eprom and not a dirty drive !
what is it there checking AFTER a ban

i think we got it 100% on marrage.. its just what they checking AFTER a ban ..
and thus how can u upgrade ya HDD if ya already been on live with ya stock one
WITHOUT gettoing a new tag/account (thus more moneys)

Mick ..

Well, the assumption is they do extensive tests if you login with a flagged GamerTag, and that these extensive tests can detect the presence of a non-stock HD.

#150 mrjkwik

mrjkwik

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 November 2004 - 09:40 PM

wouldnt all they have to do is scan your eeprom for the model number of hdd, and then compare it to hdd models they have used?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users