#1 generalnewbie

generalnewbie

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 02:44 AM

i just read the post of Windows Media Center Extender for Xbox Released

and it will record shows... how does this work? exactly i havent seen any reviews on this yet. Does it need a pc? with MCE

and is there any good tutorials on how to get mythtv working on my xbox?
even though i dont have keyboard.

#2 jcage89

jcage89

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 06:49 AM

I'd like to know if the new remote really can power the Xbox on and off (it has a power button)

user posted image

unlike the old DVD remote/USB RF receiver which did not have a power button. I am interested in this because I am installing my xbox in the car and want to be able to turn it on and off remotely without doing the mod if possible.

If anyone who has bought this can verify the remote power functionailty, I would appreciate.

JC

#3 jcage89

jcage89

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 06:50 AM

oops, server error tripled my reply

Edited by jcage89, 13 November 2004 - 06:51 AM.

#4 FallsInc

FallsInc

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 13 November 2004 - 10:15 AM

it works via the PC, and it just streams it over the network to the xbox and onto the tv.

#5 Casper1786

Casper1786

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 November 2004 - 10:36 AM

well I have a theory about Recording TV shows an shit using this. first your TV Signal Needs 2 be connected into your PC, Must be Running Windows XP Media Center Edition, possibly 2005. this is done using a Capture Card/TV Tuner Card. then ur PC will stream that video signal via a LAN connection 2 your XBOX. and then u watch it, all video data is also stored on the PC btw.

but now I want answers about this, can I have it stream the Video through My XBOX and display on my TV without it recording, basicly normaly you would have this setup 2 watch TV

Cable/Cable Box/Sat Box>TV

but I'm saying with no Direct connection into your PC, somthin like

TV Signal>TV Tuner Card in MCE PC>Broadcast over LAN>Into XBOX>Out XBOX Video Cables into TV. and what kind of delay are we looking at, for example, since with a good chance of delay the Audio needs 2 Transfer with it. now say on my Satilite Receiver, say it has an Optical Output for true surround sound, can this data be sent along with the Video, then have the XBOX just pass it through and out to a Surround sound Receiver, thus still allowing me 2 have 5.1 from my sat, but still be able 2 "Pause Live TV"

Next comes, can these MCE PCs record and store a True 5.1, 6.1 or even 7.1 Audio Stream?

#6 kraven

kraven

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 02:06 PM

It all depends on where you're getting your stream from !!

If you are using a PVR-250, PVR-350, PVR-500, etc..... ie. and analogue receiver, then these normally only carry 2 channel audio. No cards that I have seen have a Digital In and even if they did, they would also need to re-multiplex the audio channel back into the signal.

But it you have a digital receiver card in your PC, eg Nova-T or Blackgold card here in the UK, then the answer is Yes. This is because the incoming MPEG2 stream is copied directly to the hard disk as a file. No decoding / encoding is done (other than to store the data in a DVR-MS container file), so the audio stream, if in 5.1, will be maintained. You just need an Mpeg decoder which supports playback of that stream.

As to wether you can stop the recording of live TV, answer is no. The recording is maxed at 30 mins and allows the rewind of live TV. When you play the stream via an xbox, the stream will be recorded on the Media Center PC.

As for your plan to push the digital out from your STB into your receiver and then cycle the video via your MCE PC -> Xbox -> TV, there will be a delay, it inevetible. As you would definitely be using an Analogue receiver which has to encode the video to Mpeg, this would be the sequence of events :

Video -> STB -> Video Out to PVR-250 -> Encode to Mpeg2 -> Store File -> Network file share video stream to Xbox -> Decode Mpeg2 stream -> Output video

At best I see a 2 sec delay here and as you will have seperated the Audio at the STB stage, unless you can tell your Dolby Digital Receiver to add a 2 sec delay to the Audio (some do allow this), then it will be unwatchable. You would definitely not be able to use the Pause / Rewind features. If you did, the audio would irrevocably out of sync.

K.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users