• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Tym

Mr_Tym

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 03:32 AM

Is there any app out there for avalaunch skin making? Really would like to know how to creat my own skins.

#2 zbornac

zbornac

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 08:07 AM

I would like to know the same. I thought it was as simple as making the *.png files, but that didnt work for me. Is there a certain size or resolution the files have to be in to get them to work? Thanks in advance.

-Kimball

#3 zbornac

zbornac

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 09:17 AM

I resized the *.png files in Photoshop to 640x480 and they worked.

All you gotta do is make some pictures in a 640x480 format and then save em as *.png and ftp em over and you are good to go.

-Kimball

#4 gilligan

gilligan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 11:12 PM

I'm trying t do the same thing. If anyone finds a program that helps make it with the same format avalaunch uses post it here.

Edited by gilligan, 14 November 2004 - 11:14 PM.

#5 zbornac

zbornac

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (gilligan @ Nov 15 2004, 12:15 AM)
I'm trying t do the same thing.  If anyone finds a program that helps make it with the same format avalaunch uses post it here.

Did you just plan on disregarding my post? I just told you how to do it. Use any program you want that can save as jpg or png. Make a 640x480 sized background and go to town. I saved as .png files, but jpg are supposed to work as well. At a minimum you will want a background.png, menu.png, and a filemanager.png.

[Monty Python voice]Now go, or I will taunt you a second time-ah.[/Monty Python voice]

-Kimball

#6 gilligan

gilligan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 01:16 AM

I 'm sorry let me clarify I meant how do you make the box's that are present in some of the skins you see created. For example http://www.xbox-skin...?showtopic=1261. I used the demensions you mentioned before and it worked like a charm. I'm just trying to learn how to make a complete skin not just a pic that I ftp. Thanks for your help, any ideas how they do that.

#7 Megaman X

Megaman X

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:48 AM

QUOTE (gilligan @ Nov 15 2004, 02:19 AM)
I 'm sorry let me clarify I meant how do you make the box's that are present in some of the skins you see created. For example http://www.xbox-skin...?showtopic=1261. I used the demensions you mentioned before and it worked like a charm. I'm just trying to learn how to make a complete skin not just a pic that I ftp. Thanks for your help, any ideas how they do that.

You will need to use an image editor. Photoshop is an example(expensive). However, if you want something good and free, use Gimp:

www.gimp.org

It ships with nearly all Linux distributions around and there's also a Win32 port. I've only tried the Win32 port once long time ago and it was just as great.

To create those boxes (do you mean the ones surrounding the applications, emulators, etc?) it's just a matter to draw the borders _on_ the image you are going to use.

If you install Gimp (or any other good image editor) open two images, one which has the "box"(reference) and the one you want to use. Draw a "box" on the same position and size as the image you are using as reference into the image you wish to use and you are all done... Gimp has tools for drawing stuff.

When you learn how to use Gimp, you might want to use "layers" to make a perfect match for skins.

Good luck!

#8 Sloan

Sloan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:18 PM

If you look in the default skin folder, there is 'overlay.png.' You can use that for your boxes. Just use it as a layer over the picture. Or you can use it as a sample to the the size of the boxes and create what you want.

#9 gilligan

gilligan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for the help I used all of your suggestions it works great.

#10 JJLuchiano

JJLuchiano

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 November 2005 - 03:02 AM

Yeah, Photoshop works great for me. Thanks for the other suggestion of the overlay.png

#11 Galaxy Silver

Galaxy Silver

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:32 AM

www.gimp.org

What the heck am I susposed to DL there? I tried a few things and I cant get anything to run

-Galaxy-

#12 Galaxy Silver

Galaxy Silver

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:06 AM

Cool, nevermind I got it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users