X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 February 2003 - 09:06 AM

Hi,
For those who uses MenuX (and GDFimage.exe) I would just like to tell you a glitch I found out from trial and error that will cause the game to be unbootable or unrecognised buy the Xbox (I have a Samgsung drive BTW).

MenuX consists of the a folder called "iso" and inside the folder "iso" there is a folder called "menux" (which contains all the MenuX sound and graphics).
As the instuctions tells us we should put a game inside the folder "iso" but each games should be in their own folders.
EG:
user posted image
As we all know when GDFImage creates and image the image will be built in alphabetical order of the folders.
I have found out that IF you put games with a letter before "M" referring to the "menux" folder when you create an image of the folder "iso" the folder "menux" will be put at the end of the image.
Since "default.xbe" is in the folder "iso" "default.xbe" will be put at the start of the image, and if the folder "menux" is at the end of the image the xbox will have problem booting the game becuase "default.xbe" and the contents inside the folder "menux" is too far apart.

At first I thought it was just the media or I burnt it wrong but after trying many times the result was the same. So I tryed making "default.xbe" closer to the folder "menux".
user posted image
As you can see I put a "X" infront of the game folders, the reason was so when i build the image it will build the contents inside "iso" then "menux" then "xct3" then "xhalo" which then makes "default.xbe" (which is inside folder "iso") closer to the contents inside the folder "menux".

This has worked perfectly for me everytime, the only explaination of not booting I can think of was becuase when the drive boots "default.xbe" it will look for the contents in folder "menux" straight away, scanning through all the game data files then finding the file it needs at the end of the disc. This delay was too much and caused trouble during booting.

I have also found out that this problem onl occurs when the disc is near full and with game folders before "m".

Please correct me if I have anything wrong.
Also this problem might only occur if you happen to have a Samsung drive
Thanks

Edited by viper_8548, 13 February 2003 - 09:11 AM.

#2 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 February 2003 - 11:54 AM

Old news.

There is a bug in the way that MenuX works.

History lesson (again): MenuX is a hacked demo menu program. The release groups created a program to compile an XDI file, which is the configuration data. Apparently, this doesn't always work 100%.

SOMETIMES, a particular combination of game title, subdirectory, and description will result in MEnuX not being able to launch a title.

Due to my own frustration with this, I wrote MXM, which now "just works" even when dropped into the root directory without configuration.

Get MXM 0.9f and forget MenuX once and for all.

#3 bigcol

bigcol

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 07:23 AM

I've never experienced this problem. I use menux and gdfimage, and usually make the iso as near to 4.3GB. I also use dvd+r media and have a thompson drive. I've got one particular disc that has 6 games on it, all are before the menux folder, and it runs the thing perfectly.

I've also done a 5 game dvd+rw before for a samsung drive aswell, and that worked perfectly. But if you are having problems, try what viper said and if it fixes it stick with it. Its all about finding a balance with your xbox's dvd drive. And until i have a stuff up with MenuX, which i havent, i wont be using MXM. Sorry Ben Jeremy laugh.gif

#4 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (bigcol @ Feb 14 2003, 03:23 AM)
I've never experienced this problem. I use menux and gdfimage, and usually make the iso as near to 4.3GB. I also use dvd+r media and have a thompson drive. I've got one particular disc that has 6 games on it, all are before the menux folder, and it runs the thing perfectly.

I've also done a 5 game dvd+rw before for a samsung drive aswell, and that worked perfectly. But if you are having problems, try what viper said and if it fixes it stick with it. Its all about finding a balance with your xbox's dvd drive. And until i have a stuff up with MenuX, which i havent, i wont be using MXM. Sorry Ben Jeremy laugh.gif

That's fine, but the problem is real.

I've burned over 50 collections. I have two out of 20 MenuX based collections that are hosed because of the bug.

MenuX was never intended to be used like it is.... MXM, on the other hand works as 'advertised'

I may add a MenuX mode to MXM, that allows it to be a DIRECT REPLACEMENT for those stuck in the habit of wasting time with silly XDI compilation steps. I think at that point, there will be no reason for MenuX to even exist in the underground.

#5 HSDEMONZ

HSDEMONZ

He Who Posts Alot...

• Admin
  • 12,218 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 February 2003 - 02:04 PM

It is still shocking... 6 months later.. and we are still trying to get people to switch! Every month.. a new inlfux of Newbs come in.. all proclaiming MENUX.. and every month.. we see most leave learning that MENUX is not the way to go. It's not hard to see why so many regulars leave.

When it is my time to go.. the only thing people will remember.. is the guide. Assuming they take the time to read it!

Just for the record.. as someone with as much experience as BENJERMY in the burning circles.. MENUX is BAD.. period! Plenty of other options exist for multi game dvd's.. include MXM!

Time for people to start reading.. and searching. They know by the sheer number of post.. that it isn't worth using MENUX!

#6 Itsbobsoft

Itsbobsoft

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 15 February 2003 - 02:26 AM

I like MenuX over MXM because I have to rework just about everything I already have templates for on MenuX and dont want to convert them over. And I had the MenuX problem only once in my trials of over a hundred. I may not say much but I do listen.

#7 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 03:18 AM

QUOTE (Itsbobsoft @ Feb 14 2003, 10:26 PM)
I like MenuX over MXM because I have to rework just about everything I already have templates for on MenuX and dont want to convert them over. And I had the MenuX problem only once in my trials of over a hundred. I may not say much but I do listen.

Really? The default skin is EXACTLY the same layout as MenuX - you can drop in your MenuX skins right into the skin with minor tweaking and get it running.

As for configuration, MXM practically needs none out of the box. Simply drop in your screenshots with MXM_SS as the base name and let the MXM do the rest. No XDI compilation step, or wondering if you got the paths correct. It just WORKS. :::shrug:::

But that's OK.... the next version of MXM will be a DROP IN replacement for MenuX, for those stuck in the rut. In the absence of the regular MXM files, I'll read an XDI file and the backgrounds and such. It won't be the preferred method, but it will allow people who are uncomfortable with the power of MXM's config files the ability to use MenuX tutorials to use MXM.

Edited by BenJeremy, 15 February 2003 - 03:19 AM.

#8 Itsbobsoft

Itsbobsoft

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 15 February 2003 - 04:24 AM

Well I had a question but answered it myself.

Edited by Itsbobsoft, 15 February 2003 - 04:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users