• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mad3d

mad3d

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 06:58 AM

I got a brand new xbox with a philips dvd drive that refuses to read CD/DVD copies after installing a Xtender 1.1 bios.
Any idea? read somewhere that they were fixable turning the pots ( this drive got 2 on the laser unit )

Thanks in advance.

#2 powerben5000

powerben5000

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 02:32 AM

This is from a post on one of the 'other' xbox forums...smile.gif

Having posted and getting no return, I realize that sometimes you just have to help yourself.  When you get to the Laser Unit there are 2 POTS the one on the inside read 540 ohms.  The one on the outside read 1350 ohms.  

I adjusted the ouside POT to 1250 ohms and the inside POT to 405 ohms.  It now reads DVD+RW, DVD+R, CD-RW and CD-R.  

It originally read only DVD+R and CD-RW.  However I wanted more.  

I ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILTY IF YOU SCREW UP YOUR XBOX!!

The entire thread is here:

http://www.xboxhacke...t=ST;f=5;t=3785

Hope this helps d00d, happy modding! smile.gif

#3 mad3d

mad3d

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 09:16 AM

Thanks a lot man!!!!

#4 killraven

killraven

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 04:09 PM

Dont do it. Dont even mess with the phillips drive. You will screw it up so it wont read anything.
Its to hard to get an accurate reading on those tiny potscrews. I have a tiny multimeter and it was still almost impossible to get it acurate. Too low and you burnt up your laser.

Do like I did and keep the phillips the way it is (mine reads CD-R's and DVD-R's fine and a little trouble with CD-RW....DVD-RW wont read at all).
I bought a pioneer 500m and it reads twice as fast as the phillips and reads all media! Even the $.80 each media. If you do the math. This drive is actually free after buying a 50 pack of media. Because to get the phillips to read anything....even after the pot adjust....you have to buy good quality media at at least $2.00 each.

Plus the drive is twice as fast! 16x vs 8x.

The pioneer wont read legit media but if you keep your phillips drive INTACT(in other words dont screw with the laser) you can put it back in and make a copy of your original through evox and switch the drive back out and play the copy faster than the original.

To make a long story short, in my opinion, dont even waste your time with the laser.

#5 powerben5000

powerben5000

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 10:03 PM

I've tweaked 2 Thomson drives and it works great. Boots every cdrw I've put into since, it was really finicky before. I won't take any responsibility if someone screws their drive, that's their risk...some ppl just don't want to swap out their dvd drive for a PC dvd and I can't blame 'em.

I suggest that you have a friend hold the probes on the multimeter and turn the screws yourself to get a 'real-time' reading, the pot is really sensitive (at least on the Thomsons) There are some people who say they don't have problems reading any media with the philips...I dunno, just do whatever ya'll want....tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users