• 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 August 2002 - 05:42 PM

Requirements to play xbox on PC

P6 25Ghz or AMD 22000+
Graphic card doesn't matter, because it is an emulator
128MB memory
5X DVD
8GB HDD space

As you can see even if they come out with an emulator for the xbox the next day the machine that you would need to even play games would take another 3-4 more years to come out.

Give you one example.

Bochs ported for the xbox
This emulator is running off a 733Mhz Celeron running at 133 FrontSide Bus with a Geforce 3-4 TI (XBox) and it can't even run Doom!!! As far as I concern it makes the xbox run dos slower than a 486.

Emulators require to much power, because all of the hardware has to be converted to software to work properly.

#17 N00bvin

N00bvin

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:22 AM

Update... I knew it... my friend is a total idiot.

He's gonna pay up, though...

He'd barely even tried the thing... what happens is that you can actually get to the menu game of a screen, which is interesting enough and I'd kind of like to know how that was pulled off... but once you tried to select an option, a million pop-up screens for pr0n and warez and everything else comes up...

I TOLD him that it wasn't true... but he saw the start screen and got all excited... I'm even wondering if he's telling the truth about THAT!

Sorry, I was hoping for better news too... it looks like it's probably a trojan as well, but he's too dumb to realize that too...

He almost had me suckered into his stupidity...

#18 N00bvin

N00bvin

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:27 AM

Oh, and I think you're wrong about the requirements... I don't think "true" emulation would be needed... the basic architecture of the Xbox is PC (with programs written in PC language) based...

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will)... but I don't think the requirements would be that steep.

The only thing that's trully different is that there isn't an OS in the background hogging up resources... hence, only 64Megs of RAM.

Hell, I don't know diddily about programming... so I could be out in left field...

HOWEVER, do not correct me if you don't know what the hell YOU'RE talking about either....

#19 NeoLojik

NeoLojik

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (SSChevy2001 @ Aug 18 2002, 04:42 PM)

P6 25Ghz or AMD 22000+
128MB memory
5X DVD
8GB HDD space

As you can see even if they come out with an emulator for the xbox the next day the machine that you would need to even play games would take another 3-4 more years to come out.

Give you one example.

This emulator is running off a 733Mhz Celeron running at 133 FrontSide Bus with a Geforce 3-4 TI (XBox) and it can't even run Doom!!! As far as I concern it makes the xbox run dos slower than a 486.

Emulators require to much power, because all of the hardware has to be converted to software to work properly.

The reason Bocks runs so bad is that it actually EMULATES an x86 CPU, this is totally uncalled for on an xbox as the existing CPU IS x86 so its nothing more than wasted CPU cycles.

When emulating a different CPU / Instruction Set you need to convert from one to the other, many emulators do JIT conversions as it results in faster emulation.

If bochs was ported and the x86 calls were routed straight to the CPU the emulator would run significantly faster but unfortunately this would most likely require a complete rewrite.

Emulating an XBox CPU on a PC wouldnt be difficult as its just a straight x86 CPU with normal memory, the difficulty comes when trying to work round missing features like HyperTransport. IMO, emulating an XBox is entirely possible smile.gif

Anyway, thats my limited understanding smile.gif

#20 SSChevy2001

SSChevy2001

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 19 August 2002 - 03:48 PM

All I have to say is this. Do you remeber virtual game station (playstation Emulator) it was the best emulator for the playstation. No emulator out today can beat it's game support Why? Because it was the only emulator that emulated the graphic card. The same will be true if you don't emulate the Geforce card in the xbox. You will have a emlulator that only play some games. I have no doubt that you don't have to emulate the cpu, but do you think if we don't emulate the graphic card we will have the same problem that bleem and epsxe have with compatiblity.

Also if you do get a working emlulator you could never hope to sell this. It would be very illegal!!!!!

#21 youngdragon2010

youngdragon2010

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (NeoLojik @ Aug 19 2002, 01:40 PM)
QUOTE (SSChevy2001 @ Aug 18 2002, 04:42 PM)

P6 25Ghz or AMD 22000+
128MB memory
5X DVD
8GB HDD space

Give you one example.

The reason Bocks runs so bad is that it actually EMULATES an x86 CPU, this is totally uncalled for on an xbox as the existing CPU IS x86 so its nothing more than wasted CPU cycles.

When emulating a different CPU / Instruction Set you need to convert from one to the other, many emulators do JIT conversions as it results in faster emulation.

If bochs was ported and the x86 calls were routed straight to the CPU the emulator would run significantly faster but unfortunately this would most likely require a complete rewrite.

Emulating an XBox CPU on a PC wouldnt be difficult as its just a straight x86 CPU with normal memory, the difficulty comes when trying to work round missing features like HyperTransport. IMO, emulating an XBox is entirely possible smile.gif

Anyway, thats my limited understanding smile.gif

laugh.gif
I agree 200% on this Boch is stupid enough to emulate the cpu and the instructions when he or they can just reroute the instructions (if needed since the xbox uses a celeron simular to the pc or emacines). When we recreted our own mame with network support, we've added instructions to involving bus mastering which most newer ethernet cards have today, to get the best throughput when playing 2+ player games like Mortal Kombat.

BTW a 25Ghz processor needed to run an xbox emu? Not likely You might be able to get by with a 1 Ghz AMD Duron with UDMA ATA 100 Hard Drive or Ultra 160 SCSI Hard Drive to get good performance. Remember people, the xbox is a Scaled down PC with a special modfied MS OS. If anyone can figure out the OS of the XBOX emulating it will be easy.

For people with I macs, you know you can run windows 98se and me on the imac using power pc with emulates a PC using win 98se or winme.

#22 scoobydooby2002

scoobydooby2002

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 11:05 PM

I can run Windows XP and Mac OS X at the same time on my Mac G4 PowerPC using Virtual PC. XP doesn't run fast at all though, but it's still cool to see. I'm basically running two totally different platforms at the same time. Why wouldn't it be possible to create "Virtual Xbox"?

#23 SSChevy2001

SSChevy2001

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 22 August 2002 - 01:14 AM

Have you tried to played games on a your virtual Windows XP? Well if you think the Virtual Windows XP runs slow, then how would games run on that? In your case you would really be screwed, because your not even running an x86 cpu, so you couldn't just redirect the cpu instructions like a pc user could. Again, I think that everyone thinks that a good emulator could come out without having to emulator the entire system. Well so far I don't know of any emulator out for a game console that didn't have to emluate the system and also work good. Bleem, epsxe, and others tried not to emulate the graphic card and they ended up with lots of trouble with some games not working, but virtual game station work great only for the because it emulated the graphic card. Now the xbox is a different story, because it is mostly a pc. Anyway only time will tell, but apple user are going to need more power to convert your cpu instructions to x86 xbox cpu.

#24 NeoLojik

NeoLojik

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 10:57 AM

The bad thing about Virtual-PC, much like Bochs, is that it emulates an x86 CPU. Even the x86 version emulates an x86 CPU!

Emulating the xbox is not impossible and wont require massive hardware, sure there will be SOME overhead but IMHO a 1.5GHz+ & GF4 would be able to do it. The 2 main problems will be HyperTransport and the REAL TIME DolbyDigital encoding...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users