• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cornerbackwr20

cornerbackwr20

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 04:45 AM

I've read over the instulation process of the x3 chip and it seems do-able for me. I just want to make sure there isn't anytying i should know about b4 ordering my harddrive since i haven't found much while searching about any requirements.

If anyone has any information or tips for me i would greatly appriciate it. I'm looking at 200-250 hdd's. I'm not totally sure about installing it thought since the x3 chip is fairly new and there are not many tutorials specificly for it.

Thax alot pro's i've read alot of posts and i'm amazed how much you's know.

#2 Psilocybe

Psilocybe

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 November 2004 - 06:17 AM

of course those sized hdds will work

#3 cornerbackwr20

cornerbackwr20

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 03:21 PM

sorry i didn't mean if the size would work but i was trying to ask but never really mentioned it. What about ide, eide, ata-100 ata-133 etc. Are there any one in particular which i cannot use with xbox or the x3 chip?

#4 MonsterTy

MonsterTy

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 November 2004 - 03:45 PM

I dont mean to trash your thread, but goddamn it I love that freakin snuggle bear avatar! I damn near piss myself every time i see it.

#5 Big_L

Big_L

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 19 November 2004 - 05:29 PM

hard drive compadability doesn't really have anything to do with the chip (as far as i know), its the xbox that has the issues. Which is probably why you haven't got much of a reply in this forum.....anyway, as far as I know, you can only use IDE/EIDE. no SATA or anything like that. no usb either, just regular old shit. I've heard some stuff about using like sata to eide adapters, but eide is usually the cheapest anyway, so whats the point? plus its extra work. thats all i know, I'm no hdd expert. but i just ordered a hitachi 250 from newegg cuz its only like $142, and I know it works.

good luck, if you need more specific info, check other places. there have been a lot of hdd questions in the newb forum lately, check the last couple pages.

peace

#6 wolrahnaes

wolrahnaes

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 November 2004 - 07:17 PM

It has to be IDE/ATA/PATA/whatever you want to call it. The one with the 40 or 80 pin wide ribbon connector.

If you want to be able to boot with the mod off, for playing on XBL or helping to test new softmod packages, the HD must be lockable.

If it's over 137GB, you need a BIOS that supports LBA48. All the X3 BIOSes are good, as well any other recent BIOS from other groups.

Cache size and RPM determine the performance of the drive. Larger cache and more RPM are always better.

Some 7200RPM drives may get too hot and require that the fan be turned up or a second one installed. I have not seen this problem with my Seagate, but others have had overheating issues in the past. Removing the metal shielding on the case supposedly helps, but it also leaves the box with less shielding from electromagnetic interference, and also makes it technically illegal according to the FCC. If you worry about that kind of thing, leave the shieding on and just get a cooler-running drive.

#7 dmnall

dmnall

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 09:14 PM

Yeah a 200/250 GB drive will work. I recommend Maxtor because they seem to be the most lockable drive. Like it has been said in this thread, you just need a Bios w/ LBA48 support and since all the X3 bios's support LBA48, that should not be a problem. My Xbox has a 200 GB Maxtor w/ x2.6 4986.06.. I even flashed my friends Aladdin Advance+ w/ the same bios that is on my x2.6 and installed a 200 GB Maxtor, drive in his system w/ no problems as well.

dmnall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users