teh0ni0n

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Stuff..In general
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 19 November 2004 - 06:53 PM

So I'm getting a v1.6 xbox in a few days, and I wanna mod it. But I dont wanna solder, so i'm gonna hold off on getting a modchip. But with soft-modding, why would I need a modchip anyways?? Let me get this straight, basically I need to open my xbox up and plug my computer's ide port into it's hard driving while it's running, then I transfer some files over to it and I have the EvOx dash running?? Then I can run homebrew apps and other things like ftp right? If it's really that easy, why would anybody bu.d-chips in the first place?

#2 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 November 2004 - 07:09 PM

becuz it's more easier to switch to an unmodded state, they can boot unlocked drives and they are harder to mess up.

#3 teh0ni0n

teh0ni0n

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (krayzie @ Nov 19 2004, 08:12 PM)
becuz it's more easier to switch to an unmodded state, they can boot unlocked drives and they are harder to mess up.

But i'm not planning on switching my hard-drive, And all you have to do to boot to the original dash is add a menu item in Evox... blink.gif

#4 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 07:14 PM

I said switch to retail state not to retail dash. I didn't say you should buy a chip I just mentioned the advantages.

#5 teh0ni0n

teh0ni0n

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (krayzie @ Nov 19 2004, 08:17 PM)
I said switch to retail state not to retail dash. I didn't say you should buy a chip I just mentioned the advantages.

You mean so that I can play on live? I'm not planning on it..

#6 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 07:22 PM

so don't buy a chip

#7 teh0ni0n

teh0ni0n

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 05:38 AM

Okay so If I do this i can have a custom dashboard and I can ftp into my xbox and such, all the same as a normal xbox. And will I be able to use a menu item to get back to the ms dashboard? Are there any ways this can really fux0r my xbox? I'm gonna hot-swap the hard-drive to transfer the files onto it. The only major thing I lose by doing this instead of a modchip is going on live right? Thanks for your help!

#8 crosseye

crosseye

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 05:56 AM

ha, even people with modchips have been hesitant to go on live lately. No one really knows what all M$ is looking at to decide to ban you. http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=285877

i like this tut and its really easy to follow and execute. I had no idea how to softmod 2 weeks ago. I read that and within 3 days I had already done 3 of my boxes.

#9 dudeman456

dudeman456

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 05:57 AM

Okay so If I do this i can have a custom dashboard and I can ftp into my xbox and such, all the same as a normal xbox.

Well, I'm not to sure what you mean by custom, but if you mean a Dashboard of your choosing, Yes. A unmodded Xbox does not allow for FTP access. Have you look at all the different dashboards there are, have you decided on a favorite?

And will I be able to use a menu item to get back to the ms dashboard?

Yes, many people have it like that, though some would call it not necessary, some have never looked back.

Are there any ways this can really fux0r my xbox?

Dropping a Jet engine on it, but if you mean by doing this, I want to say not really as long as you do not mess with your HD key, there will always be a way to un-do and re-do things, but others would disagree with me.

I'm gonna hot-swap the hard-drive to transfer the files onto it.

Yes, thats the most popular way, but you can also buy an game that has an exploit found for it, and get a memory card, then connect it with computer, and transfer the special exploited save file and you can get Evox(and ftp access) like that. HotSwaping can potetially be done in less time.

The only major thing I lose by doing this instead of a modchip is going on live right?

Before this month, I would have said that you could have access to Xbox Live with the Softmod(what you are planning to do), but now MS seems to be banning Xboxes for an unknown reason, so if you had a mod chip you could possibly get banned, as well with the Softmod.

#10 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE (dudeman456 @ Nov 20 2004, 07:00 AM)
Yes, thats the most popular way, but you can also buy an game that has an exploit found for it, and get a memory card, then connect it with computer, and transfer the special exploited save file and you can get Evox(and ftp access) like that. HotSwaping can potetially be done in less time.

How could a hotswap ever be quicker than a gamesave exploit?
I think hotswapping is definately not the most popular way and it isn't that good for your hd too. It's just for people who don't have money or don't feel like spending money for something they call not really nescesarry. But a gamesave is definatly the safest and easiest way to go if you plan around to mess much with your xbox files since you can restore any potential damages within 5 minutes without messing with your pc.
I think any "real" softmodder has at least one exploitable game+gamesave in his/hers collection

#11 teh0ni0n

teh0ni0n

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 08:19 AM

See I would do the game save exploit but I dont have a memory card, dont know anybody else with a modded xbox to get teh saves on, and I dont wanna rent a game. !!

#12 teh0ni0n

teh0ni0n

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 08:22 AM

I'm probley gonna use this tutorial to do it, anything I should know?? I wanna use the EvolutionX dashboard..

http://www.stonespnl...ge&pid=1&page=1

#13 teh0ni0n

teh0ni0n

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 07:53 PM

BuMp

#14 dudeman456

dudeman456

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 06:24 AM

How could a hotswap ever be quicker than a gamesave exploit?

If you are a new comer(like most) you probaly have an Xbox, but not a memory card or an exploitable game.

I think hotswapping is definately not the most popular way and it isn't that good for your hd too.

Oh, how many of the softmoders would say have a memory card, or as soon as they find out they can do this with what they have in front of them, don't try right there and then. Have you seen some of the post from newbies, when someone suggest a memory card and an exploitable game, they soon after only talk about hotswaping, and you have to reliaze money is tight in a lot of families, specially now with the holidays coming up.

But a gamesave is definatly the safest and easiest way to go if you plan around to mess much with your xbox files since you can restore any potential damages within 5 minutes without messing with your pc.

Easiest, have you looked at the newbies questions, they have to find the flies, un compress them, then its easy, but getting from A to Z, has proven quite diffcult for some new users.

I think any "real" softmodder has at least one exploitable game+gamesave in his/hers collection

What do you call a "real" softmodder, you say that like its a lifestyle, I know that you have made a lot of progress on things on the board, as I have seen your post everywhere(on the board), quite informative, but newbies just want to get Evox up and do everything else, chances are the way they softmod their Xbox is the way they'll(if asked) do their friends or family's xbox. Using one method, keeping it simple.

Edited by dudeman456, 23 November 2004 - 06:33 AM.

#15 dudeman456

dudeman456

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 06:32 AM

QUOTE (teh0ni0n @ Nov 20 2004, 09:25 AM)
I'm probley gonna use this tutorial to do it, anything I should know?? I wanna use the EvolutionX dashboard..

http://www.stonespnl...ge&pid=1&page=1

Not exactly what I did, as I added Slayer's Evox Auto-Installer list of applications, and I also used the C drive files on the Slayer disc on Xboxhdm, in case something happend, but yeah its looks good, I used a guide that is on this board, which was good cause when you bump into a problem you can see the other people that had the same problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users