#1 big ben bullet

big ben bullet

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 21 November 2004 - 02:17 PM

First of all i would like to thank everybody (and in particular Idots) who's done such a great job on providing the info and tools for succesfully softmodding any version of an xbox! You guys rule big time! :D

I succesfully modded my brand new PAL 1.6 (b?) xbox by following an UXE tutorial.

Now I'm planning to install a 120Gb HD (Hitachi Deskstar). I've read about xboxhdm and I'm pretty sure I can pull it off, but I do have a few questions...

- as far as I know xboxhdm uses UDE (any version) and UDE2 does not work on a PAL box... can I just replace the files in the iso with the ones that are currently on my existing xbox (I backup them regularly to my pc) before burning the cd? Those are bound to work for sure since they do now B)

- does xboxhdm support building a new hd trough usb? I have an external usb hd rack, and it would be easier if I could use that in stead of my primary IDE controller so I wouldn't need to open up my PC... erh disconnect it from the cable hell that's probably has grown it's own hemisphere behind my desk

Following question has got nothing to do with hd install, but I'm just curious:
- as I understand, a softmod 'happens' everytime you boot your hd, and If you restore it to it's original content, you 'unmod' the xbox again... or am wrong about this? And why am I able to boot my xbox from a CDR then?

A big thank you in advance!

-Big Ben Bullet

#2 bonzai62

bonzai62

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 02:24 PM

With Xboxhdm you can out a copy of your cdrive in the cdrive folder your edrive in the edrive folder and your eeprom backup in the eeprom folder and then create the iso. after doing this and buring the iso boot the pc with the cd and you will be creating a drive that is a match to the one you are using. and since your eeprom backup is there the locking will work.

#3 big ben bullet

big ben bullet

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 04:10 PM

thx...

how 'bout that usb support...

Does the kernel support this? And what scripts do I need to alter?

#4 slappy_squirel

slappy_squirel

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (big ben bullet @ Nov 21 2004, 10:13 AM)
thx...

how 'bout that usb support...

Does the kernel support this? And what scripts do I need to alter?

You haved to hook harddrive up internally just like in the tutorial

#5 big ben bullet

big ben bullet

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 07:38 PM

You haved to hook harddrive up internally just like in the tutorial

I *know* I have to hook it up internally with xboxhdm as it is right now...

However, I think it's perfectly doable to make it work on an external usb mounted disk if (part of my question):

- The kernel has usb support built in
- The scripts are changed to not use /dev/hda(n) but /dev/sda(n) (maybe even provide the option to choose the device)
- The unlock/lock tools work on usb drives

That's my question... just trying to 'improve' the current way of working cool.gif

-Big Ben Bullet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users