• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jasonpuppy

jasonpuppy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 02:31 PM

Have any of you guys had a problem with mp3's sounding grainy and distorted when played through XMC? I started to notice the problem when I first began FTPing them accross to the Xbox but now any mp3 from any source sounds grainy (like an old cassette tape). The sound on video and DVD files is fine.

Any thoughts would be super-appreciated smile.gif

#2 abit late

abit late

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 04:39 PM

mp3s have always sounded detailed, rich and full through all builds of XBMC that I have used.

Your problem sounds odd, like audio is not set up correctly somewhere along your av path or you have a loose connection. Try raising the headroom value and/or reducing the amplification in settings --> audio in the 1st instance.

Even bad mp3s rarely sound poor throughout, its usually at certain points along the track. To rule out bad files it would be worth checking a problem mp3 file with a prog like mp3 library or similar that can analyse the frames in the file. you can then delete bad frames.

HTH
al beerchug.gif

#3 jasonpuppy

jasonpuppy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 05:13 PM

Hey man,
Thanks for your input. The weird thing, though, is that all my tunes were fine through XMC till I started FTPing them accross and noticed a degridation in sound quality. XMC plays all mp3s with buggy sound regardless of their origin (FTP, DVD, etc) and to further complicate things I recently reformatted my entire HDD because of an error but XMC still insists on playing them with dodgy sound even though avi, mpeg, whatever have normal sound.

Ghost in the Xbox, eh?

#4 abit late

abit late

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 05:34 PM

yeah, wierd ohmy.gif

What kind of output are you using? If you FTP a song to your xbox and then FTP it back to your PC, does it play OK on your PC?

#5 jasonpuppy

jasonpuppy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 05:43 PM

Yep, tried that, too. Works just the same. I've also checked all the wiring on the sterio and Xbox and it seems to be in order (hence normal sound for games and DVDs). This has perplexed everyone I've asked so far. It's frustrating having to listen to them on my laptop when there's a free 200GB HDD in the Xbox. Thanks smile.gif

#6 A600

A600

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 06:31 PM

Check that the volume amplification (Audio Options) is set to 0.

#7 jasonpuppy

jasonpuppy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 10:58 AM

YES!!! That was bloody it! The volume amplification in the audio options. It was set to 60.00/60.00 and made the mp3s sound grainy and distorted. Set at 25.00/60.00 they sound as they should. I'm unsure as to how this changed in the first place seeing XMC has a fresh reinstall. But that was the problem all along.

Thanks HEAPS guys! smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users