• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lynxij

lynxij

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 08:50 AM

I have recently purchased a used xbox. ver 1.2 I believe.

I am ultimately looking to be able to backup games (easily) on my xbox (with a larger hard drive). And also, be able to play multiple region dvds, without the dvd remote for xbox.

I have done some research, and the softmod looked to be the cheapest solution at first. But then I realized buying a action replay + mech assault would run the price of many modchips.

I currently have:
1) xbox
2) 120GB hdd.
3) little money to spare.

I feel somewhat safe modding an xbox, since I have done the same with a few original playstations.

I am looking for advice on what would be the best course of action, easiest to do (for a noobie) and cheapest (for a poor college student).

Please feel free to email me link007 at gmail.com

or respond to this thread with a way that I can contact you.

-Thanks in advance

#2 SpudGunMan

SpudGunMan

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts
  • Interests:mexico water, how when you touch a girl you get sweaty, costco hot dogs, proper first aid
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 November 2004 - 08:55 AM

soft mod and a TSOP are your primary method of operation.

I woudl reccomend searching yoru school for someone with a hacked xbox then using them for assistance on ther parts that woudl cost you money. any modder woudl write the game save to a memory card for free for you.

#3 lynxij

lynxij

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 09:08 AM

I live in the los angeles area, if anyone is local, and willing to let me borrow a memory card for the save, I would be forever in your debt.

#4 homelesschicken

homelesschicken

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 09:19 AM

If you dont plan on using it for XBL ever, you can flash your TSOP. If you want to keep the option open for XBL, then softmod it. There are a couple of ways of doing this without spending alot of money. For instance, you can make your own xbox controller/usb plug.

1a. splinter cell i found is the cheapest.. 5.99-7.99 @ gamestop
1b. break away cord.. 3.99-4.99 @ gamestop
1c. search the gamesave exploit forums for a copy of action replay... free

2. you can hotswap (wouldnt suggest it)

3. or like spud said, find someone with a modded xbox and they can put the gamesaves on your memory card for you

follow this tut and it will show you how to make an xbox controller/usb cord. it also shows you step by step how to softmod.

http://how2xbox.tk/

#5 lynxij

lynxij

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 10:04 AM

Im curious if both the softmod and TSOP allow for dvd playback and ability to copy backups to the hdd. And once done, which would be easier to operate, or is that determined by the program used?

#6 bigted41

bigted41

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 03:44 PM

the most reliable to operate would be the TSOP flash, but with a 1.2, you won't be able to get onto live, if you do a softmod, your files may become useless with the next dash update, so your bigger hd would become useless until you could install an exploit for the next dash.

#7 SICKdimension

SICKdimension

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Interests:TO IM ME, STATE YOUR REASON, DON'T JUST SAY "HEY R U THERE?"

Posted 24 November 2004 - 05:37 PM

I live near LA. I can flash the TSOP for you, or let you use a memcard, or, if you want to ship it, I can flash the TSOP and return it for $30 including shipping.

#8 lynxij

lynxij

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 09:07 PM

I appreciate all the feedback so far.

I have opted to flash the TSOP (hopefully with SICKdimension's help).

I am curious what there is to do after this to get to my desired state (being able to backup xbox games on a larger hdd + watch any region dvd).

What programs will I need to get installed onto the xbox? At what time does the larger HDD go in?

#9 sheliak

sheliak

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 November 2004 - 03:42 PM

TSOP is a great way to go. Once you Flash the TSOP, you can add the new drive immediately or wait till later. To set up the new drive you should use SlaYer's Auto Installer 2.6. It will format and partition your drive and install all the M$ stuff you need plus the Evox Dash and all the apps you will need to backup games and play DVDs w/o the dongle. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users