X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 November 2004 - 03:35 AM

hey all,

installed a power button in my controller. one leg goes to the black (ground) and the other directly to the yellow wire. i've also tried putting the ground one to sheilding which should be the same.

in the xbox, i've cut the ywllow wire from controller port 1, and extended it to pin 2 of the power eject board, which is the power.

it doesn't work though. i've connected the extended bit from the yellow power eject board cable to the sheilding and it goes on and off, so it isn't the connection there.

tried the black and sheilding cables in the controller but no good.

it should be fine, goes from ground in controller to switch to yellow wire in controller extended to yellow power eject board wire and it just doesn't do nething!

tips anyone?

thanks

#2 Exige_

Exige_

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 November 2004 - 05:11 AM

Well, you may have the wiring correct, but your switch may not be working correctly/you ahve the wrong kind of switch. To be safe, just use a button switch. If it is, try holding it down and see fi your XBox stays on, then release to see if it shuts off. If not check to see if the yellow wire in the xbox is on the right pin. It should be on the 2nd pin up from teh bottom or the bottom right pin of the button itself.

#3 eminvil_12

eminvil_12

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 25 November 2004 - 05:18 AM

is it a momentary push button or a switch

#4 flashfreak

flashfreak

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 09:10 AM

its a momentary push button.

found the problem though, we had a bit of a prob with the quick release connector on this controller when a dog ran past very qucik and ripped it out, it seems only the yellow wire was affected, but now it works, kinda.

there must be a short somewhere, as when i plug the controller in, it turns on straight away. so i unplug it, put it back in and it goes off, its as if the button is being held down.

it is a momentary and not a switch, i'll have to check for shorts somewhere.

thanks for the response neway smile.gif further help would also be cool if you have any more ideas!

Edited by flashfreak, 25 November 2004 - 09:10 AM.

#5 eminvil_12

eminvil_12

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 09:15 AM

WAIT, before you go desoldering stuff, you probably got the wrong momentary push button

#6 eminvil_12

eminvil_12

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 09:34 AM

there are two types of momentary push buttons, there is momentary push button ON and momentary push button OFF.

it is possible you got the wrong one, the momOFF when pressed closes the circuit and turns the xbox on so when you plug a controller in the circuit isnt closed.

BUT a momON when pressed just breaks the circuit, but the circuit is permanently closed unless its pressed. meaning when you insert the controller into the xbox the circuit is closed, therefore turning the xbox on.

thats most likely your problem.
you need one that is normally open so that when you press it it closes the circuit. you can get a normally closed one or else it always has a closedcircuit making the xbox turn on everytime you insert the controller.

#7 flashfreak

flashfreak

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 10:37 AM

funny u mention that mad.gif

found that was the problem, got mom OFF (i think thats what i mean) so its closed all the time, holding it on.

so very annoying! and lousy dick smith only had a couple of buttons, this was the best for the job and it wasn't even right. grr

#8 eminvil_12

eminvil_12

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 12:22 PM

i did the same thing, i hate dick smith. but i always shop there for switches and stuff.

#9 flashfreak

flashfreak

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 10:30 PM

this is the first button i've got and it was the closest one they had to what i need, but it isn't even right!

damn them, they havn't got a wide enough range of everything, now i have to find somewhere to buy a button.

we need a radioshack or something.

also, im guessing ur an aussie cos of the afl logo in ur sig

#10 eminvil_12

eminvil_12

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 11:22 PM

yeh im aussie, and im suprised people from different countris even recognise the logo.

radioshack should have the button you need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users