6 replies to this topic

#1 zxxpyroxxz

zxxpyroxxz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 12:35 AM

Ok, i am getting error 06 when i boot my xbox, let me setup the scenario of how i got my xbox...

I bought this thing broken off of ebay, came with a dvd-rom that was missing the top to it, drive seems to function, but until i replace it or repair it i dont know for sure.

The hard drive is dented on the top, but not so much to be hitting the platers and it powers on and sounds good to me, i plug it into my computer and its recognized (not accessable cause its locked)

The xbox had a xecuter 2.3 installed and removed, i found some crossed connections on a chip that i de-soldered, once i desoldred this chip i was able to get it to boot to the screen saying that service was needed and 06 was displayed.

I am assuming this hard drive is the problem, and once my modchip comes, i am going to put in a regular HDD (i dont plan to use xbox live so it shouldnt be a problem)

I am just wondering what you guys think, everyone agree that it must be a hard drive problem?

Oh, also i switch the jumper connection from cable select, to slave and get different error codes relating to HDD problems (although i never tried master, but i will)

I just want to know if you all think i should be re-checking for crossed connection, maybe i didnt desolder that section like i thought i did.

Now, if i get the modchip, and borrow someone elses dvd-rom to setup my new HDD with slayers evox tools, i should be able to remove the dvd-rom entirely and at least boot to a menu, right?

Please let me know, my chip should be in tomorrow and i want to get this box booting

Thanks for any help,
-PyrO

#2 thewickedjester

thewickedjester

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 November 2004 - 12:38 AM

the error 06 i beleive is due to the drive not being able to be unlocked by the motherboard. or is that error 07?

#3 zxxpyroxxz

zxxpyroxxz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 12:51 AM

Yea, its the mobo not being able to unlock the HDD....none of my friends that have xbox want to risk doing the fix that involves using their xbox to unlock my xbox's drive

I Guess i just want to know that its the HDD giving me the errors, and not some crossed connection on the board giving me a false error code.

I would tend to think if i had a crossed connection like that the unit would not give me video/audio so i'm fairly confident thats what it is, but i'm looking for confirmation

#4 thewickedjester

thewickedjester

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 November 2004 - 01:01 AM

yeah, if it was a crossed connection or something like that you would either get a quick power on/power off (then it stays off, usually something grounding out does this) or you would see some sparking (thats bad tongue.gif )

if you want a suggested fix, buy a unlocked hdd, but a unlocked eeprom. hope they are both really unlocked

#5 zxxpyroxxz

zxxpyroxxz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 01:09 AM

i have a modchip on the way, and a 80gb western digital i plan to put in the unit. I'm just gonna unlock it, like i said, i have no intensions of xbox live so everything should work smoothly.

I have new New DVD Drive in the works as well, i'm throwing a regular pcdvd in just like Superfro's tutorial shows. I'm hoping this turns out to be as nice of a unit as i expect :-)

i do have a 40gb toshiba laptop drive sitting around, i was thinking about buying a converter and shoving that in to save room for future mods, but i rather have a 7200rpm drive than a 4200

If you have any other info on the subject, i'm happy to read it

Thanks for your help, happy thanksgiving

#6 lunatic0222

lunatic0222

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Lacrosse, Dirtbiking, Xbox, Computers, Hockey, Football
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 26 November 2004 - 01:19 AM

how much did u pay for the xbox