126 replies to this topic

#121 RedAssBaboon

RedAssBaboon

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 02:46 PM

To be honest on the whole duct tape deal, it is probably the dumbest idea that's ever been conceived. Now let's see why that is. Unless you have a BNC (Biological Nuclear Chemical) filter of some sort for your house duct taping plastic to your window is as useless as the old "Duck and cover" scam the government pulled during the cold war. Imagine that you can survive a nuclear attack by ducking down huh.gif Also, you are more likely of dying from suffocation or carbon monoxide poisoning ( if you have indoor heating). If these reasons are not enough, your house has pests sometimes right? Obviously they don't waltz in the door or climb through the window so there's got to be a hole somewhere.... biggrin.gif I hope this helps at least some of you out there.

PS. I actually had to use duct tape to tape a duct in my house the other day. My head hung in shame for 2 days.

Red

#122 Lizard_King

Lizard_King

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 02:54 PM

Funny - not one leading historian has a viewpoint even approximating that of our own learned Lizard Shit.

Gaz.

Gaz, do you even read what you post before you enter it? Even among the Guardian's pet historians I was able to find one on my side. Linda Colliers doesn't seem that far away either, just far more despondent.

Andrew Roberts
This is not another Suez crisis, for the obvious and straightforward reasons that the west is not today trying to recapture anything for itself, that Egypt posed no military threat to the Nato allies in 1956 and that the British government is pursuing its ends openly through the UN, at least initially, rather than through collusion. Moreover, the people of Egypt were fully in support of Nasser, whereas the moment a US-led invasion of Iraq is successful, the full extent of the Iraqi people's fear and hatred of Saddam will immediately become evident.

No, the situation is far closer to the late 1930s, when a fascist dictator stealthily acquired weapons of mass destruction - the Luftwaffe's bombing arm - and attempted to acquire nuclear weapons, too. That totalitarian dictator later invaded his neighbour (as Saddam did), gassed his political and racial enemies (as Saddam has) and brutalised and tortured his own people (as Saddam does.) The League of Nations, on the morning after Poland was invaded, had on its urgent agenda the standardisation of European railway gauges. Today's United Nations is fast shaping up to be equally ineffectual.

In the face of a danger that the left, the Church of England, much of the establishment, the press and the French denied really existed, a lone voice told the truth unashamedly again and again until events forced the rest of the nation to listen. This brave politician faced public obloquy and collapsing political popularity, until he was proved right, when he became the most popular prime minister in recent memory. For Churchill, this apotheosis came in 1940; for Tony Blair, it will come when Iraq is successfully invaded and hundreds of weapons of mass destruction are unearthed from where they have been hidden by Saddam's henchmen.

Rarely in history are we allowed quite so exact a template as we have been given militarily by what happened in the Gulf in 1990-91, and politically by what happened in Europe in the 1930s. But this time, were the west not to act and Saddam eventually to build nuclear bombs, he would have more destructive capacity even than did Hitler. * Andrew Roberts's new book, Hitler and Churchill: Secrets of Leadership, is published this week. The accompanying TV series starts on BBC2 on March 7.

At any rate, I have heard the parallels to 1914 many times, and I still think 1937 is a much better parallel. Many of these historians cite how heavily Hitler was armed in 1939 as a cardinal difference between the two situations. However, he was not remotely as heavily armed when he began breaking treaties, rearming, and invading his neighbours a few years back. That is where the parallel lies. In the era of WMD's you no longer need a successful build up of conventional weaponry to have a disproportionate influence in your region.

Look at the arms race about to ensue in the Pacific. South Korea has just indicated its willingness to engage in the construction of a nuclear umbrella with Japan. The Japanese, who have always been reluctant to build their own nukes, have never been restricted by ability but rather by desire. Now, the fatal miscalculation of the North Koreans, and consequently their Chinese masters (although it is open to debate how much direct control they have), comes to bear: why on earth would a people that have already experienced nuclear weapons want the situation repeated? They will do anything to avoid it. Now we have a really messy future ahead in the region, all thanks to the appeasement of a rogue state.

In the Middle East, it would be even worse. Do you really think Iran is going to stand by and let Iraq go nuclear? Do you really think they have forgotten about that little 10 year war between them? How badly do you want various poor and despotic countries with their finger on the nuclear trigger?

#123 Lizard_King

Lizard_King

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (RedAssBaboon @ Feb 19 2003, 03:46 PM)
To be honest on the whole duct tape deal, it is probably the dumbest idea that's ever been conceived.

It's a bomb! Duck and Cover!

user posted image

Will you be prepared when the bomb falls?

user posted image

Bert the Turtle Shows Us How
user posted image

Yeah I agree. If you live in a rural area, stock up on food. If you live in a city, accept that you're screwed if anything happens (although being armed might not be a bad idea, in case of riots).

#124 RedAssBaboon

RedAssBaboon

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (Lizard_King @ Feb 19 2003, 04:06 PM)
QUOTE (RedAssBaboon @ Feb 19 2003, 03:46 PM)
To be honest on the whole duct tape deal, it is probably the dumbest idea that's ever been conceived.

It's a bomb! Duck and Cover!

user posted image

Will you be prepared when the bomb falls?

user posted image

Bert the Turtle Shows Us How
user posted image

Yeah I agree. If you live in a rural area, stock up on food. If you live in a city, accept that you're screwed if anything happens (although being armed might not be a bad idea, in case of riots).

LOL. Where the heck did you get all of those pictures from? This whole issue is just plain funny...well that is until someone nukes me. Work or no work, I am gonna duck and cover.

#125 Lizard_King

Lizard_King

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 10:10 PM

LOL. Where the heck did you get all of those pictures from? This whole issue is just plain funny...well that is until someone nukes me. Work or no work, I am gonna duck and cover.

if you look for "duck and cover" and bert the turtle, you find a whole slew of 1950's propaganda stuff. Google is great for that shit.

#126 Al_Ghazi

Al_Ghazi

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 11:06 AM

SHOES FOR INDUSTRY!

SHOES FOR THE DEBT!

Hi... I'm Joe Beets.

#127 Lizard_King

Lizard_King

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 09:14 AM

What, no comment on your historians? Just another red herring cast adrift, eh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users