Photo

Bios Without Any 3rd Party Dashboard? (smartxx V2)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blah29

blah29

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 12:20 AM

Hi.

I just got my xbox modded somewhere that wouldn't configure the bios etc.. I have a v1.6a xbox, with samsung RAM and a samsung DVD drive, the HD is a standard seagate. I also am not going to change this hard drive.

So, I also got the bios called "M8plus16" which works on 1.6 and 1.6a xbox.

Ok, so my question is, if my xbox 1.6a, with a SmartXX v2 in it, can I just flash the modchip with the M8plus16, and have it boot DVD-R stuff? I don't really want to setup a new dashboard right now. All I need to do is be able to boot stuff up. It is kind of confusing setting up a new dashboard and also I dont' have a required "crossover" cable right now.

I wouldn't have made this post but I don't see the answer to this question anywhere, on this site or xbox-scene.com etc..

Much thanks to any responses! I apprecaite it!!!

#2 SigTom

SigTom

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 30 November 2004 - 03:58 AM

Youll have to make sure the BIOS your flashing will boot to D:\default.xbe and whatever discs you burn will have to have a default.xbe in the root dir. You can then boot any games you have on disc, any dash/apps/XBMC whatever you burn to disc. Networking your XBox isnt that hard; do you have a router by chance, linksys/dlink etc? If so, just hook the XBox up to that and it should work. If no router, then yes at some point youll need a crossover cable....esp as seeing updating the SmartXX OS from disc will get to be a bore once you realize its sooooooooooo much easier thru the network. Which makes me ask, how are you flashing the BIOS, burning it to disc and flashing?

Edited by SigTom, 30 November 2004 - 03:58 AM.

#3 blah29

blah29

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 05:00 AM

Thanks for the response.

Well, I already went ahead and flashed the SmartXX v2 with the M8plus16 bios and so far it is working just fine. Booted Halo 2 DVD5 version, and also NFS Undergroudn 2, no problems. The dash is the MS original with an EvoX logo for the loading screen in the upper left corner.

I burned a DVD-R with the bios on it, and thru a whole bunch or rared up files to fill space on it. It was very easy to do.

I probably will do an full EvoX dashboard once I get a repalcement hard drive. I just spent 150+100 to have it chipped / delivered so I am holding off on any other expenses right now with this thing, including getting a crossover cable. I don't have a Hub. Just an ethernet card, and a spare one of that makes any difference.

Thanks again for the info, much appreciated!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users