15 replies to this topic

#1 mergedown

mergedown

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 04:44 PM

Why do we have to go through all of these steps to "backup" a game? Just curious why it just can't be stuck in your PC DVD drive and pulled off instead of in your XBox drive.

Any explanation?
Thanks

#2 Mshake

Mshake

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 04:58 PM

nothing can read the game files EXCEPT your xbox's dvd drive

#3 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 February 2003 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (mergedown @ Feb 17 2003, 12:44 PM)
Why do we have to go through all of these steps to "backup" a game? Just curious why it just can't be stuck in your PC DVD drive and pulled off instead of in your XBox drive.

Any explanation?
Thanks

Sure there's an easier way....

Buy TWO copies of the game.

Perhaps you want M$ to make it easier? I suppose you could write them and complain about their denial of our rights to fair use.... after all, they are the ones making things so difficult, what with the crazy signature stuff, custom firmware in the DVD drives and all that stuff. blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

#4 mergedown

mergedown

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 07:25 PM

Well, I guess I was looking for more of a technical reason. But I think it was answered.
Thanks

#5 mergedown

mergedown

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 07:27 PM

Another question then, if I were to pull out my XBOX DVD drive and place it in my PC and replace my XBOX DVD drive with a PC DVD drive, would that work?

Just thought there would be an easier way by now. And obviously, buying 2 copies of the game is an easy answer, but this board wouldn't exist if that were the case.

#6 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (mergedown @ Feb 17 2003, 03:27 PM)
Another question then, if I were to pull out my XBOX DVD drive and place it in my PC and replace my XBOX DVD drive with a PC DVD drive, would that work?

Just thought there would be an easier way by now. And obviously, buying 2 copies of the game is an easy answer, but this board wouldn't exist if that were the case.

No. The Xbox DVD does not work in the PC.

Read Bunnie's paper if you want technical reasons. It's ALL out there, for anybody not too lazy to search, browse and google.

The issues have been described ad nauseum here many, many times... and you want us to repeat them JUST FOR YOU so you don't have to do what the rest of us did?

#7 mergedown

mergedown

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 08:55 PM

If it wasn't for us people asking the same questions OVER AND OVER again, YOU would have nothing to do. All I see are your posts bitching about everyone else not searching.

We are all noobs at some point. Relax and help.

#8 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 18 February 2003 - 01:36 PM

We have nothing to do but sit around and answer your questions again and again and again? That's presumptuous, ignorant, arrogant, inconsiderate...I'll stop here.

When we go into detail posting a reply to someone's question, we try to be thorough and helpful. However, when someone asks the same question the next day or has a n00b question and doesn't even bother to look for the answers that are practically jumping out at them, it's irritating. They think that just because they don't know the answer and don't feel like looking, they can just type the question and the other forum users will answer unconditionally, as if we were part of an intelligent forum script.

Yes, we were all n00bs once. Some of us were more considerate in that phase than others are, evidently.

#9 Schmo

Schmo

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 18 February 2003 - 04:25 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth. Most of us will post obscenely long answers to questions but if people expect us to answer the same question over and over again, they aren't thinking straight.

There are many other questions out there that are unanswered or are unique that deserve attention rather than people spending 10 mins to respond to a question that has been answered 100s of times over the last month.

Anyway, I spent 2 minutes too long just now.

#10 mergedown

mergedown

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 08:34 PM

Then how about a simple solution. Post a link to the answer. Being a noob, I don't know exactly what to search for not always knowing the proper terminology.

You make valid points and I'm not going to argue with you. A simple point in the right direction would be helpful, OR, just ignore the post and let someone else answer. If you going to take the time to complain, at length, then answer the question, give us a link, or just ignore us.

#11 b0ink

b0ink

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (mergedown @ Feb 18 2003, 01:34 PM)
Then how about a simple solution. Post a link to the answer. Being a noob, I don't know exactly what to search for not always knowing the proper terminology.

iamwithstupid.gif

Why should we do the search for you when you won't even take the time to do it your self? It's not that dificult... in this case you could have searched for something as simple as "backup game".

Instead of getting an attitude when people tell you to search you should actually try it.

EDIT: By the way... for any beginners out there... the search function defaults to the last 30 days of posts. You should probably change this to search all posts to get more results.

Edited by b0ink, 18 February 2003 - 08:56 PM.

#12 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (b0ink @ Feb 18 2003, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE (mergedown @ Feb 18 2003, 01:34 PM)

iamwithstupid.gif

Why should we do the search for you when you won't even take the time to do it your self? It's not that dificult... in this case you could have searched for something as simple as "backup game".

Instead of getting an attitude when people tell you to search you should actually try it.

Did'ja ever rub the dog's nose in it's crap, time and time again, only to have it keep shitting in the middle of the living room?

Sometimes, no matter what you do, a dog just can't change it's behavior or attitude. huh.gif

#13 mergedown

mergedown

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 10:11 PM

I will repeat, If you don't want to help, then ignore.

#14 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 10:59 PM

It's hard to ignore it when a dog craps in your living room, you know.

The steaming pile sits there... stinking up the place. Even if nothing messes with it, it's still there, like an ugly stain.

Big fat steaming turd. Yep, most dogs are smart enough to handle housebreaking without so much as a whimper... others only get a taste..... then you have those dogs that simply can't behave, and must be kept outside, lest they keep crapping in the house.

:::sigh::: Some dogs just don't know when to go with the flow.

#15 Schmo

Schmo

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 19 February 2003 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Feb 18 2003, 10:59 PM)
It's hard to ignore it when a dog craps in your living room, you know.

The steaming pile sits there... stinking up the place. Even if nothing messes with it, it's still there, like an ugly stain.

Big fat steaming turd. Yep, most dogs are smart enough to handle housebreaking without so much as a whimper... others only get a taste..... then you have those dogs that simply can't behave, and must be kept outside, lest they keep crapping in the house.

:::sigh::: Some dogs just don't know when to go with the flow.

I'm sending my dog over right now to piss in your bed. wink.gif Won't be able to ignore that either!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users