• Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Mechanics, Scripting, Computers, video games
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:15 PM

I did the LPC rebuild shown in this thread

My LPC rebuild looks like this;
user posted image

I then cut the LFRAME trace and soldered in 2 wires for each side of the cut, which go to a switch for enabling/disabling the M$ bios/mod chip.

user posted image

Now in all the tutorials and threads I have read, they all say to ground the LFRAME, AND there is no D0 point on the 1.6(cool.gif xbox. The X3 1.6 rebuild PCB has a D0. And this pic shows a D0 as well.

user posted image

I haven't connected the D0 to the matrix, and I haven't grounded the LFRAME. Here are some pics of my matrix install on a crystal clear 1.6b xbox.

user posted image

NOTE: I have soldered the pogo pin 7 on the matrix (LPC pinout #3) to the switch for the LFRAME. I have removed pogo 7 and D0 pogo.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Now that I have got this far. I'm having sound/video freezing problems. When I power on sometimes there is nothing on the screen, but if I hit the eject button, away it goes loads up the dashboard. Sometimes the video freezes, sometimes its the sound & video, and yet sometimes, it boots up perfectly fine. When it does freeze and I hit eject it skips the flubber anim shows the X logo and loads the dash. But this only works half of the time. I have flashed the matrix with the Yoshinio evoxM8 plus16b memory fix bios. Is it this bios causing these problems? Will the latest X2 bios work in the 1.6b xbox? And why is it that when I did exactly what everyone said NOT to do that it worked? And yes it FRAG'd like crazy when I grounded the LFRAME. I may yet rebuild my LPC according to the X3 rebuild PCB if changing the bios doesent solve this video/sound freezing problem. Any help/input/comments/suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks for everyones help.

user posted image

My dip switches are set to mode 2. 1 off 2 on. Although mode 3 and 4 will still work. I have flashed from evox in mode4 and havent tried mode 3.
Dip settings

#2 Withinside

Withinside

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:26 PM

The pics dont show the switch clearly, so here is a pic.
user posted image

#3 Exzir

Exzir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 11:14 AM

Did you ground the lfram on the mother board and not the chip. It is vital to not ground the pin 3 of the matrix. It is nice to know that the lfram of the 1.6 will power the matrix I am stil wondering if possibly there is still something going on with how much time it takes to power up the matrix and it being enabled when the xbox boots. My suggestion would be to boot up with it disabled via the chip and then reboot with it enabled to test a power issue.

#4 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,995 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 06 December 2004 - 11:50 PM

You using the latest yoshihro bios he had to fix is bios for 1.6/b.

#5 Withinside

Withinside

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:08 AM

Exzir, I have not grounded anything. LFRAME and D0 are not grounded. When I set the chip to test/disable(mode 1), and my toggle to enable the LPC, matrix flashes green, while the xbox frags. If I disable the LPC with the toggle, the chip flashes green(mode 1) or is solid green(mode 2&3) and solid orange(mode 4), but boots to the M$ bios. Now if the toggle is set to enable the LPC, and the chip is not in test/disable mode. It sometimes loads the bios. I have found that pressing eject when it freezes causes it to skip the anim show the X logo and load the dash. If I press eject twice it boots fine, or press power then eject, fine. If the box has been off for a bit, or unplugged, pressing power once boots fine. But if powered down, then powered back up it freezes. Pressing eject solves the freeze 90% of the time. The other 10% simply powering it off then back on, and pressing eject will get it to the dash. I'm wondering what might be causeing all of this. LFRAME on the box is soldered directly to pogo pin 7 on the matrix. The pogo is removed. Did I really have to cut the LFRAME trace? I am using the latest Yoshihiro evoxm8plus_16b bios. Is this the only bios that will work in the matrix on a 1.6(cool.gif xbox? blink.gif

[edit] my switch pic is wrong, the middle lead on the switch goes to below the cut on the LFRAME, the left lead to above the cut on the LFRAME, and the right lead to the matrix pogo 7, in other words, swap the yellow and green lines in the switch pic. [edit]

Edited by Withinside, 07 December 2004 - 04:11 AM.

#6 Withinside

Withinside

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:36 AM

This is just a revision of the toggle switch, I musta been tired when I drew the first one.
user posted image
I hope this clears somethings up. unsure.gif

#7 Exzir

Exzir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 11:31 AM

Well the issue here is the memory timeing I am certaint. I was hopeing that it would be a powering issue like the matrix is not powered up fast enough to deal with a boot but The real culprite is your onboard memory. If I could only figure out how to boot up the ms bios and then boot up your matrix with out rebooting then we would have something. I am sure they will come out with a fix for this memory issue. Unless the problem lies with the LFRAM that the 1.6 xbox has and it being out of spec with a %2 margin and the matrix is wanting to see a %1 margin. This would be how clean the data is and not power or anything like that. Thnk of it as a packet loss. Well it does work for now the only other suggestion I can give is to just try un doing the wire from the switch and doing it to the ground and leaveing the pin 3 unhooked up to anything and just leave it as is. by grounding the LFRAM the xbox will not be able to boot the on board bios and as long as the LFRAM of the matrix is not grounded and not in test mode it should boot up also.

Reason the LFRAM was grounded was becuase of the fact the LFRAM was not compadable with the matrix. I am guessing that the newer bios might have something to do with the booting of the LFRAM but not 100% sure.

#8 Withinside

Withinside

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 03:59 PM

I think your right about it being a memory timing issue. Seeing how pressing power doesn't always work the first time. It does power up the matrix, and when I press eject it reboots or something while leaving the matrix powered. Then loads fine. Pressing eject twice has the same effect. But now I have bigger probs. When I set the toggle to disable the LPC and enable the M$ bios it gives me error code 21. blink.gif What could cause this? unsure.gif And while I had the LFRAME grounded the xbox FRAG and the matrix LED was solid red. Since I connected the LFRAME to pogo 7 on the matrix, the matix LED is solid green, even when the LPC is disabled, but not when in mode 1 or 4. I haven't experimented with mode 3, ever. So mode 3 is always green, unless LFRAME is grounded. Exzir, or anyone, if you could please help me better understand why I'm getting error 21, the guides on the error codes aren't very helpful, or explanitory. Thanks.

#9 Exzir

Exzir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 11:15 AM

This is a MS Dashboard error. It means that one of the Dashboard files got corupted or over writen or the xbe got retaged with a program.

Simple correction would be to reinstall msdash from a slayers install cd.

Complex fix would be to examine your backup files for dates and sizes and find the correct file that was changed if a file was changed and recopy it back over.

In closeing. I am guessing when you grounded LFRAM you had removed pogo pin 3 and you also had nothing soldered to the pogo. If this is correct then I am guessing grounding is not working for ya.

#10 Withinside

Withinside

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 11:11 PM

Thanks Exzir for the info on the M$ dash, I figured it was something like that, I will look into it. And your correct, when I had the LFRAME grounded, pogo 7 was removed, and nothing soldered to it. Pretty much it was just the LPC rebuild wires, and the one grounded LFRAME wire, pogo's 7 and D0 removed. This caused nothing to work. The matrix LED was red, and the box was frag'n. So I then decided to do exactly what Exzir and everyone else was saying not to do. That is connect the LFRAME to pogo 7. Now I'm wonderin if I replaced pogo 7 thus connecting the matrix LFRAME to the mains LFRAME will it solve the xbox's moody boots it's goin through. And the main reason I decide to connect the LFRAME to the matrix is that the specs for the SST49LF020 shows it has an LFRAME on its pinout 23, which a trace from that goes to pogo 7. All in all I'm totally clueless about this stuff, and am flabbergasted that it even works at all. Special thanks goes out to Exzir and XS Filter - 043008 for all the input, work, and special help they have given to the scene for the cheapmod/matrix on a 1.6. And thank you's to all other related threads I have read on the scene. Without the scene I'd still be just a simple minded gamer with even less of a clue then I have now. biggrin.gif cheers! beerchug.gif

Here are the SST49LF020 specs I was refering too.
user posted image
user posted image

Also, just wondering pins 1,22.26,27,28 on the chip say NC, what does the NC stand for? something like N/A?

#11 Exzir

Exzir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 10:57 AM

Not Connected.

The chips are made to fin into a socket and so there will be extra pins now I know this chip was soldered but the spec of the chip was for a socket.

#12 ne0phile

ne0phile

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:31 PM

has anyone managed to get a matrix to work with a 1.6(cool.gif yet?

#13 ruciz

ruciz

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:31 AM

I got a toasted V1.6 (LPC chip without a rebuild.. what naughty people) and a matrix. I am going to try to get it installed, boot up xebian and flash it through that. Wish me luck. With this post and the xebian raincoat guide I hope to have something working by tomorrow night. If it don't work and I make a paperweight I do.. Oh well.

#14 MonsterTy

MonsterTy

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:21 PM

I'm very interested in seeing how this works out. Please keep us informed.

#15 ruciz

ruciz

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:47 AM

seems that it was more than the TSOP that was corrupt. Tried 3 chips and still fragging. Oh well, nice paperweight I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users