Photo

Whats Your Opinion On Desoldering Irons?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shiz

shiz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 06 December 2004 - 12:23 AM

i was at radioshack today looking for a new solder sucker, and saw those de-soldering irons. Looks like a soldering iron, but the tip is a metal tube, and is attached to something that looks like a turkey baster. Bottom line - lay the desoldering iron over the spot, it heats up, while you suck up the solder through the tip of the iron. Anyway, do these things actually work? It sounds like a good idea, because often enough i notice when desoldering an LPC or having to remove a pin header or something,by holding the iron tip on the bottom of the board, and sucker on the top, while having to balance the board so it doesnt flip (PITA!). So having the sucker and the iron performing both tasks at the same time and on the same side of the board sounds really cool.

Anybody have first hand experience? how WELL do they work?

thanks

#2 Sac2K4

Sac2K4

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Interests:MODS!
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:01 AM

I use that one... works SWEET! it's liek 30W tho. be carefull!

#3 shiz

shiz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 07:49 AM

yea thats what i was concerned about too. There were no markings indicating wattage on the package, and when i asked the Radio Shack guy what the wattage was hes like..."uhh, it doesnt really matter when youre de soldering" dry.gif rolleyes.gif

they should change their motto from "You've got questions? We've got answers...from morons" smile.gif

#4 EvilWays

EvilWays

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 December 2004 - 08:18 AM

The one I got from RatShack was 40 (45?) Watt.

Remove the bulb and replace with a mild air compressor (ex., pump from a fish tank that's only pumping air) and you have yourself a hot air rework "iron".

#5 MegaHurt

MegaHurt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 08:23 AM

I used one of the desoldering irons on a portable nintendo, oldschool, that I started a while back. It works really well. Just be extremely careful because the iron is 45 watts, I looked on the iron.

#6 shiz

shiz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (EvilWays @ Dec 6 2004, 09:21 AM)

Remove the bulb and replace with a mild air compressor (ex., pump from a fish tank that's only pumping air) and you have yourself a hot air rework "iron".

thats actually a good idea! Why didnt you turn it into a vacuum instead? to suck out, rather than blow in?

Edited by shiz, 06 December 2004 - 05:02 PM.

#7 Perplexer

Perplexer

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Interests:Fish with big teeth
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 December 2004 - 07:49 PM

I did this a while back, before I had a true SMT station.

Under $20 (USD) Air-Pencil Soldering Iron

Worked pretty well. Took some experimentation to get the temperature high enough to actually work right though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users