• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 byersjus

byersjus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 02:10 AM

I've been messing with this for hours now and can't get it working so I'll throw it on here.

What I have: 802.11g router running DHCP assigning addresses 192.168.15.100-150, two PCs, two XBOXs, two floors.

What I want: Xbox on second floor to be on same network as all other clients without running cat-5 or buying an xbox wireless NIC.

What works: Xbox on second floor is connected to XP PC's 10/100 Mbps NIC via crossover and PC is connected to router via 801.11g card. Using internet connection sharing in XP I've connected 2nd floor xbox to internet successfully.

Whats wrong: The XP PC is acting like another DHCP server assigning the xbox an address in the 192.168.0.x range thus making that xbox invisible to other clients on the .15.x network

What I've tried (without success): Changing the router to assign .0.x addresses as well, configuring a static IP on the xbox in the .15.x range with a gateway of 192.168.0.1 (PC 10/100 IP address) Can't find any settings/registry values that govern the ICS DHCP

Any ideas? -- Thanks

Edited by byersjus, 06 December 2004 - 02:12 AM.

#2 Perplexer

Perplexer

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Interests:Fish with big teeth
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:34 PM

Have you tried turning off ICS, and bridging your PC's NIC and 802.11g card?

#3 byersjus

byersjus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 08:15 PM

Actually thats exactly what ended up working. I thought from the start that the network bridge was the way to go, but when I created it the wireless connection would appear as "not connected" and I'd lose connectivity to the PC and xbox. After some digging on IT forums I found that this is a common problem with some wireless cards and a work-around existed. The problem was the wireless card would not enter "promiscuous mode" even though it was reporting to XP that it had. (oddly enough, my wireless card is M$... I had to laugh) I found an article describing the fix here: M$ Support. Once I forced compatibility mode everything was golden. Now I use my laptop as an XBOX "wireless NIC". Next week I'll be creating an ad hoc network in a local movie theater with digial projectors. Talk about big screen Halo.

Edited by byersjus, 06 December 2004 - 08:29 PM.

#4 wbxp99

wbxp99

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:25 AM

Hi, I was trying to do the same thing a few days ago, but I got stuck after changeing my card to forced compatibility mode. My wireless and ethernet are bridged using XP, and I can sucessfully use my laptop to connect any of my PCs to my network, and they can go online and see other computers and everything. Then I tried to do a system link. I hooked one Xbox up to my router, and another to my laptop, using a crossover cable ofcourse. I started up Halo 2, and they could see each others games, but whenever I tried to join it would say it couldnt connect and to try again. Any ideas?

#5 byersjus

byersjus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 07:41 PM

No ideas for you... I actually haven't tried Halo 2 with the new setup yet. I tested the bridge by FTPing to my xbox from a computer on the wired network. When that worked i assumed anything would. Hopefully there isn't another limitation. Maybe some ports need opened in a firewall you're using? It's odd that you can see games but can't connect.

Edited by byersjus, 08 December 2004 - 07:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users