• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jimmymac70

jimmymac70

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 09:27 AM

I have a completely unmodded xbox and was wondering where to start. What chip do I get with what Bios. What dash to get. I want to be able to play NTSC games on a PAL Xbox, will all chips do this?

TIA

Jimmy

#2 stacker69

stacker69

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 08 December 2004 - 09:32 AM

The best thing for now is to do a lot of reading. I'm not being a dick but it would be well worth it if you read first. You can start here http://www.xbox-scen...m/tutorials.php

There's a lot of ways to mod you xbox either with a chip, TSOP flash or softmod.

Edited by stacker69, 08 December 2004 - 09:37 AM.

#3 insane_clown

insane_clown

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 08 December 2004 - 11:16 AM

I'm still new to this myself but what Stacker69 said is totally right, READ.
I spent a good 2 weeks reading before I started playing.
I got someone else to do the mod chip for me ( I'm not that good with a soildering iron/pen) and I just stated to mess around with the software. First thing to do is make a backup, a complete copy of the hard drive and bios so if you do screw up, which i have done plenty of times you can get you box up and running again. A copy of Slayers Auto-Installer dosn't go astray ether smile.gif (also speaking for experience)

Good luck

#4 Sechy

Sechy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Computer and kicking with Family and Friends

Posted 08 December 2004 - 11:42 AM

Lots of reading, so much to learn. This is the best place to find all the information you need smile.gif

#5 jimmymac70

jimmymac70

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 01:03 PM

Cheers for the info guys. There really is s**tloads to learn! I'll get there eventually! Anybody recommend someone to do the chip for me? I've been looking at www.whitedog.co.uk, anybody else used them?

Cheers,

Jimmy

#6 xiii13

xiii13

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 02:24 PM

There is a modchip installer section in the BST section of these forums, check them out read the reviews, etc.. Then make the decision of where to get it done, ofcourse see if any family or friends have any experience with a soldering iron... this makes it way cheaper than shipping off your xbox and then still paying to have it installed. Or even take a class about soldering at a local college or something, chances are once you start modding you won't stop so you might as well get the education for it.

And then if you get stuck or run into something and need to know the answer, go to the right forum and just ask.... most people here will help you out.

#7 dsl1

dsl1

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 08 December 2004 - 02:33 PM

I recommend doing a solderless install instead of sending it to someone if you have a 1.0-1.5. If you have a 1.6 send it away.

I recommend the Xenium Ice chip. It is very newb friendly.

For a bios I am using the Xecutor 4981.06 I guess there are newers versions of the Xecutor bios but I havent updated. The Xecutor bios is what was recommended to me when I was a newb by several experianced modders.

For dashboards i've tried they all. They all do the same thing but they each do it in there own different way. I like the way avalaunch works.

Xbox Media Center and DVD2XBOX are must have apps.

Unless you have a dvd burner you will need a bigger harddrive. The 8/10gb hd that is in there now will only fit one or two games depending on the game size.

Hope this helps. PM me or msg me on AIM if you need anymore help.

#8 rob_hellfire

rob_hellfire

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, MTBing, Sailing, Windsurfing, Swimming, Walking, And would you believe i'm still fat !!!

Posted 08 December 2004 - 02:46 PM

Can you downloand files directly from any sites or do you have to use mirc cos i can only log in via my uni network and they hgave all the prots closed?

#9 jimmymac70

jimmymac70

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:35 PM

So after reading a few tuts on the site I just want to run a few things by you. Can I mod my xbox just doing a softmod? And still be able to backup, install a dash and of course play NTSC games?
Or is it just safer to get a modchip?
Still feeling a little out of my depth in all this!

TIA

Jimmy

#10 dsl1

dsl1

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (rob_hellfire @ Dec 8 2004, 08:49 AM)
Can you downloand files directly from any sites or do you have to use mirc cos i can only log in via my uni network and they hgave all the prots closed?

Try going to www.macsat.com/xbins/

It is the webbrowser version of xbins irc channel.

I am not sure what ports it uses but give it a try.

You will also need an ftp client (port 22)

I really doubt they have port 22 closed.

Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users