• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 abmtrading

abmtrading

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:47 PM

OK... I haven't worked on my Xbox for over a year. I originally put in the Matrix solderless chip and installed evox on a 120 GB drive. This was so long ago I forgot how i did it. Now I'm doing some research and found out I must upgrade the bios to (iND-bios 5003). Ok, so now I have found the bios but aren't sure what to do next. How do I flash my bios again? I forgot what software is used to do that.

Also, I think I will need to upgrade evox as well since I have one of the really old versions. I already downloaded the 2.6 release of evox. How do i do the upgrade? or do I have to reload and reformat everything from scratch?

One more question, is it the bios upgrade that lets me use a larger hard drive than 120 GB? or is it the evox upgrade that does that? The last time I did this 120 GB was the limit. Now I hear people are using 200 -350 GB which is great!..

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

#2 Nos4ah2

Nos4ah2

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 07:24 PM

I'm in the EXACT same boat as you!
I want to upgrade using Evox if possible.
I know I have to change to mode 4.

After that? Lost.

Any help for either of us would be greatly appreciated!

#3 da_shiznit

da_shiznit

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 12:05 AM

i upgraded without switching what mode i had my chip in. All I did was backup the C and E. Then I transfered the newer evox onto the harddrive and rename evoxdash.xbe to xboxdash.xbe or whatever it was.

#4 Exzir

Exzir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 11:25 AM

Please note the mahority of people install evox on C. Not all install it there so I will not tell you where it is you will need to find it. First look on c for evox.ini and evoxdash.xbe

Ok first to upgrade your matrix you need to do the following.

1.) witch the matrix to mode 4
2.) get the bios file in 256k version.
3.) ftp the file to the bios folder (if you have evox)
4.) edit the evox.ini and add a rom= statement. (the rom will = the name then a , and then the 0x + md5 of the bios)
5.) ftp the evox.ini with added rom = statment to the xbox
6.) reboot the xbox and goto settings and then flash.

To upgrade evox you will download the evox rar file and extract the file to you computer hard drive and then ftp them over to the xbox.

Lastly it is the bios that allows you to have a larger HDD

#5 abmtrading

abmtrading

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 04:52 PM

thanks for taking the time to explain...i have all the files so i will try this later....one more question...

when you said "reboot then flash the bios in the settings menu" is this available in the older version of evox?

Also, let me get this straight, I don't need to remove the maxtrix chip from the xbox and use the programmer to flash it from my PC? I think that how i did it originally...

#6 Nos4ah2

Nos4ah2

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:12 PM

I did this last night. Much easier than I expected.
Thanks for the great info guys!

Also, let me get this straight, I don't need to remove the maxtrix chip from the xbox and use the programmer to flash it from my PC? I think that how i did it originally...

As long as your Matrix is in mode 4, (both dipswitches turned off, away from the mounting screw) you should be able to flash the bios right from within Evolution-X.
There is a 'flash bios' menu right in the settings menu.
If you don't have that menu, you may need a newer version of Evolution-X.

I used the indbios 5003.06 and it worked like a charm!
smile.gif

#7 abmtrading

abmtrading

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 05:12 PM

ok.. yesterday i started working on this..and successfully upgraded my evox to the newer version 3539. I had to do this because the I did not have the "flash bios" on the settings screen.

(Now attempting bios flash)
So now I have the new evox and I FTP to my xbox. Now I cannot find the "bios" folder on any of the partitions. I think it is because of the original slayer install I did was really old and this folder did not exist before.

Nos4ah2. can you tell me exactly which partition the "bios" folder is supposed to be one. I need it exact location so I can manually create this folder and transfer my new iNG bios into there. Also can you tell me exactly which one is the bios file. I have a .rar file and unzipped it but there so alot of files in there. Do I FTP that whole folder or just one bios file?

THanks

#8 Nos4ah2

Nos4ah2

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 05:49 PM

You'll need to create the bios folder in C:\

You only need to ftp the one file, I used
iND-BiOS.5003.06.bin (md5: 2C9F4B933E4C57B26A9EC253FAE442B9)

Good luck!

#9 solid7x2

solid7x2

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 December 2004 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (Exzir @ Dec 9 2004, 12:28 PM)
4.) edit the evox.ini and add a rom= statement. (the rom will = the name then a , and then the 0x + md5 of the bios)

can u clarify this and maybe put an example of what to write, the way this statement is typed is confusing to me

I was thinking about flashing an x2 bios to my matrix so I can customize the logo... but im not sure if this will fit on the matrix? anyone do this with a matrix, or should I not bother.

#10 Exzir

Exzir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 02:27 AM

Sure no problem be my pleasure.

I will used the included md5 and file named here
info used to help explain.

Name = iND-bios 5003.06
MD5 = 2C9F4B933E4C57B26A9EC253FAE442B9

Here is what you will put in your evox.ini file.

rom = "iND-bios 5003.06",0x2C9F4B933E4C57B26A9EC253FAE442B9

That is it in a nutshell.

Hey give me back my nutshell.

#11 abmtrading

abmtrading

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 06:31 AM

hey thanks guys...

i know its been awhile but i finally got around to upgrading the bios...a couple of things though...

i did not add the:

MD5 = 2C9F4B933E4C57B26A9EC253FAE442B9

in my evox.ini because i wasn't sure where to add it. However, I was still able to flash my bios and everything seems to work. Will this affect anything if I didn't add that line?

Also, now that my bios is updated, I know I can add a larger hard drive than 120 GB and 300 GB is the limit?. But what else is the improvement?

thanks

#12 prplehz

prplehz

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Interests:Romance, Audio/Video, Computers, Video Games, Skiing, Swimming.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 January 2005 - 01:34 AM

You would add that to your evox.ini. If you open it, it is obvious where it should go. You only need to do that step if you want the name of your bios to show up in evox..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users