Photo

Memory Layout - What Changes Will Cause A Problem?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OICU812

OICU812

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 12:44 AM

I have read messages about people changing settings via the MS Dashboard (after having installed the UXE exploit) that messed up their Xbox (wouldn't boot properly). I have a couple questions for anyone who might be familiar with Memory Layout issues:

1) What changes to the MS Dash would/could cause the Xbox to not boot? I'm just curious so that I can try and prevent people from complaining that a box I modded isn't working, by letting them know in advance what they can and cannot do.

2) Depending on what the answer to #1 is, what is the worst thing that changing a MS Dash setting could do? I assume that there will always be a way to correct the issue, but is it something easy enough that I could set up boxes in a way that the tools to correct the issue would be available to the user to fix it themselves (obviously this only pertains if the memory layout doesn't break a box to the point that a homebrew app can be run).

3) This one is a little off the topic, but I have wondered about for a while. I see that some people can't even boot retail games (007) if they delete a certain file from C or E ("accidently"), while others seemingly have deleted several files they shouldn't have, but are still able to boot a retail game to FTP back in and correct the issue. What exactly is the reason for this? Is there certain files that are absolutely required on the C and/or E drive in order to boot a retail game? I know that might sound like a stupid question, but from what I have read in the past, some people have apparently gone goofy with deleting, but were able to fix it without a hotswap or modchip, while others whacked "only" a bios file from their exploit and said they got an error and couldn't boot a retail game.

Again, thanks for helping out an inquisitive rookie who's trying to figure this all out!

#2 DaddyJ

DaddyJ

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 December 2004 - 12:51 AM

From what I've Read, Changing the language in the ms dash, can change the way the xbox boots, and cause an error.

#3 Gavstar

Gavstar

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 12:58 AM

Pretty sure that the parental controls can throw a spanner in the works as well.

If it goes wrong then you won't be able to run non-MS signed code, so a gamesave would be the easiest way back in.

Edited by Gavstar, 14 December 2004 - 12:59 AM.

#4 DaddyJ

DaddyJ

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 01:00 AM

Or your handy XboxHDM Restore CD wink.gif

#5 Trevante

Trevante

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,929 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 December 2004 - 01:22 AM

Would this affect UDE and/or UDE2 as well?

#6 DaddyJ

DaddyJ

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 01:34 AM

Not sure about those fonts, but concerning UXE

rmenhal recommended you using all 7 of the s fonts to eliminate this issue.
Rename s, s1,s2,etc.

I will try and find where I read this.

EDIT: Found IT

Edited by DaddyJ, 14 December 2004 - 01:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users